The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't know what the problem is with racetracks in NY. Here, in CA, any convertible with factory rollover protection (Boxster, Z4, TT, S2000, 350Z, etc.) is OK on the track (for example, Willow Springs and Buttonwillow in SoCal). Elise would qualify as having factory rollover protection (c-pillar rear-window structure).

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Guys, I think this person is on the forum. He made a post about it. At least I *think* its the same person. Ekological, is this you?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
FYI

The Elise factory roll bar is not adequate for competition (by a long shot), according to the regs spelled out in the SCCA General Competition Rules, and therefore the Elise cannot be used in competition events sanctioned by that club. So any other club that adheres to SCCA regs (say for insurance purposes) will be forced to impose the same limitation. The situation is quite different for non-competition, open track events where local clubs and tracks work out the rules together and the insurance requirements are less strict.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had wondered about the BMW CCA allowing it for track days, but I assumed that if I got the hardtop, I'd be covered. After all, they allow Porsche Targas...

Jim

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Re: FYI

JLSELISE said:
The Elise factory roll bar is not adequate for competition (by a long shot), according to the regs spelled out in the SCCA General Competition Rules, and therefore the Elise cannot be used in competition events sanctioned by that club. So any other club that adheres to SCCA regs (say for insurance purposes) will be forced to impose the same limitation. The situation is quite different for non-competition, open track events where local clubs and tracks work out the rules together and the insurance requirements are less strict.
what's the reason that the roll bar is not adequate? Seems like it's bullshit to me. What are they afraid the Elise is going to whoop everyone's ass?

Why doesn't he run with the hardtop. He also says in the auction that he hopes the Exige will come here, but you can remove the top on that car also.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: Re: FYI

shay2nak said:
Why doesn't he run with the hardtop. He also says in the auction that he hopes the Exige will come here, but you can remove the top on that car also.
Folks, If I stilled lived in Brooklyn, I would never buy the Elise. The roads resemble a bombed out country and the potholes there rival grave depths. :p

Commuting in the Elise in NY? Too bone jarring!

Bobby

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Shay,
A competition roll cage and a good stock roll bar are different things and have different requirements. Honestly, if you looked at the optional Motorsports roll cage in the Exige, you might understand where some of the weakpoints in the stock design are. Yes, the stock roll bar is better than a few hoops other manufacturers supply, but considering the windshield is non-structural, you are going to need a full cage for racing. By racing, I mean fully competitive, rubbing/passing, and not just open track days.

I think finding an open track day for the Elise, in stock form, is no problem.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Vantage said:

Honestly, if you looked at the optional Motorsports roll cage in the Exige, you might understand where some of the weakpoints in the stock design are.
Is an aftermarket rollcage available for the Elise (probably not yet in the US, but maybe UK)? Bolt-in? Weld-in?

I definitely plan to roadrace my Elise. I know that the SCCA is very anal, but it seems like NASA is a bit more relaxed. Any idea if NASA would approve a stock Elise?

·
Registered
825 Posts
maxxfish said:
I definitely plan to roadrace my Elise. I know that the SCCA is very anal, but it seems like NASA is a bit more relaxed. Any idea if NASA would approve a stock Elise? [/B]
Either sanctioning body is going to require a full cage for the car, effectively making it next to worthless for street use. I don't have the SCCA General Competition Rules (GCR) handy, but you're talking about a 6 point cage (2 in the front footwells, 2 behind the seats, 2 at the rear fenders) with door bars and etc. I'm also interested in what happens when you weld a cage to the Elise bonded aluminum chassis. The whole point of binding was to avoid the heat stress of welding. Not sure I'd trust anyone but Lotus Motorsport to do this.

Beyond that wheel-to-wheel racing results in frequent body damage and sucks $$$ faster than almost any other hobby. I'd guess that running a T1 Elise would cost $100k per year to be competitive. Maybe a fourth of that to run regionally only.

But you can do track days for less than $300 per weekend. No modifications to the car are needed, no one will run into you and you'll get about 4X the track time. I love racing with SCCA and NASA, but my Elise will be strictly for track days.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Jefferson,

Thanks for the good info. I'm sorry, but I should have clarified that I am planning on doing trackdays, not head-to-head racing (all my past experience has been autocrosses and track schools). I just thought that SCCA and NASA sponsored track days followed the same rules as their normal racing.

So I guess I'm in good shape without a rollcage, although a harness bar and harnesses would be nice (and I know theyre available and easily boted in!). Max

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Yes, that is mine and it is my auction. Allow me to insult your intelligence? Where do you get off saying that? People's reactions to my dilemna have ranged from understanding to just plain ignorant. Some have said, "Just show up and don't say anything." Yeah, that'll work...especially after throwing $400 at registration and then to have someone ultimately say, "Go home." ?? That's too big a risk to take to drive all that distance and then be turned around. Someone suggested showing them a picture of the chassis. Sure...I can show and argue until I'm purple in the face. Fact is, if they just want to be assh*les about it, they can be. I've had two friends with two separate chapters show up to driver schools and were turned around...this after saying that they would be able to drive. The first was at Summit Point where there were quite a few no-shows. There was this woman there with her husband who drove his own built up supercharged Z06 and she was driving a Z28 (they had the full trailer and full sparco suits and everything...hahaha). She wasn't going to participate but then asked the registrar, "Can I join?" They let her. After hearing that, I asked on behalf of my friend and they said, "Sure...invite him down." My friend drove 6 hours by himself, showed up the next day and they just said, "Sorry...you can't participate." Same thing happened a few weeks ago at Summit Point again. A friend of a friend was thinking about joining and she usually shares my friend's car. I knew the school was underbooked so I told her to contact the registrar. She said to just show up and if there was room, she can go. She drove all the way from Michigan and you know what? They gave her a big fat no. Of course, this is completely different than the dilemna of an Elise being allowed on the track, but it just goes to show you that the registration process is not always logical.

I really shake my head in embarrassment and disappointment when I see people say stupid things like, "This coming from a guy who bought a car with the touring package, no hardtop and no sport suspension?" Get over yourself. Touring package...the electric windows really swayed me over on this. People speculated at the time of ordering the car that the electric windows were lighter and didn't rattle. I HATE rattles....so...touring package. The touring package also had a head unit that could play MP3s on a CD...to me, this was a no brainer. Hardtop...I originally spec'ed the car out with one but then changed my mind. I really couldn't justify $1500 for a piece of plastic. I also had my eye on the gullwing top that might come out. Why spend $1500 when you're planning on getting the gullwing top? Besides, I don't like the little dimple in the factory hard top. And the last crap about sport suspension. That is just too funny. The stock Elise is more than capable on the track. To me, the only reason you would want to get the sport suspension if you were planning on competing say in SCCA and wanted to be classed a certain way. The price premium to me was just for the different wheels. Sure, they sounded nice being X pounds lighter than the stockers, etc, etc. At first, I also thought they looked nicer than the stock wheels but the stock wheels have actually grown a lot on me. Other than that...what? the "height adjustable" suspension? It's not truly height adjustable....something to do with different collars. In fact, it's the same damn shock body....just different valving. If I wanted to spend $$$, I would contact Lotus Motorsport and get a real suspension with external reservoirs, etc. And then you people who gasp when someone mentions using r compound tires other than the Yokos. "Uh...The Elise is a lighter car so you have to use these special tires....it's the way Lotus engineered it." Have you checked what other cars use the Advan048s? Can you say Porsche!??! I seriously doubt Yok has two different compounds: one for the 2000 pound Elise and one for the 3000 pound Porsche. If Michelin made the Pilot Sport Cups in the ideal size, I would use those in a heartbeat over the Yoks.

But what does any of this have to do with tracking an Elise? You can't track a stock Elise? Attending driver schools at the track is about learning car control. You can do that with a completely stock car or a modified car. In fact, it's better to learn to do it on a stock car because of the forgiveness factor. I, for one, would want to slowly build up and learn the characteristics of a lightweight mid-engined car before stepping up to a stiffer suspension, track tires, etc, etc. That was the path I took with the M3 and I wouldn't have it any other way. So please, armchair tuners, learn the facts before firing away.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Re: Re: Re: FYI

Bobby said:
Folks, If I stilled lived in Brooklyn, I would never buy the Elise. The roads resemble a bombed out country and the potholes there rival grave depths. :p

Commuting in the Elise in NY? Too bone jarring!
Bobby
Certain roads are really bad, some others...not too bad. I commute to NJ and if you're a perceptive driver who "learns" the road, you become very intune with its characteristics. You learn the apexes, the lanes to be in to avoid the bumps, etc. If someone were to watch me drive to work from the sky and there was no traffic, they would think I'm nuts for constantly changing lanes, but I do that with or without traffic to avoid the potholes and other road abberations. Whereas 99% of the drivers on the road are just plain oblivious...

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Re: Re: Re: FYI

ekological said:
Which Exige have you seen where the top comes off?
this one. I've seen a yellow one two I think.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 69 Posts