The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a 2006 Elise and the mileage is around 16k, it has a clean Carfax report and I have been told by the owner that the car has never been in an accident or repaired/repainted. The only issue is that there is a raised looking seam line that is completely flat to the touch but visible to the eye (looks like a tape line thats raised but is smooth and flat feeling to the touch). I am told this is something that happens or can happen on non crashed/non painted completely oem Elises and I wanted to see what everyone here knows about this? Thank you in advance for your help and time.

·
Premium Member
2008 Lotus Elise SC and 2007 Porsche GT3
934 Posts
Those marks are normal from the factory. I have seeing them in a bunch of Elise and Exige. They are usually found up front where pictured and on the rear clam.

·
Registered
587 Posts
This is a known issue. Unfortunately my 2006 Elise has the same defect. It’s hardly noticeable. Seems to be caused by the compound they used to glue the headlight structure underneath. There’s another post out there that describes this and the pic of the underside of the front clam sheds light on the exact issue. It’s now something I look for when I see other Eliges(out of curiosity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I have one above each headlight. I read where it was caused by reaction to adhesive under the clam. Not sure if that's true but it did catch the eye of the judges at one car show. Still got first in exotic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
676 Posts
My Elise is no accidents and I can see a few seams here and there. They appear to be normal from the factory and are present in a lot of vehicles upon closer inspection.

Edit- If you are still worried take a paint meter to the area and call it a day with your findings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Elise is no accidents and I can see a few seams here and there. They appear to be normal from the factory and are present in a lot of vehicles upon closer inspection.

Edit- If you are still worried take a paint meter to the area and call it a day with your findings.
Great point. Thanks for the response.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
No worries many of us have them myself included.

Reactions: autodino

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same here, 2006 Elise with exact same markings from the factory. Mine is starting to show more now that my starshield is getting older......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts