The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Due to the shortage of front clams, we are considering making aftermarket fiberglass front clams.

How many people here are in dire need of a front clam?

The price will be close to OEM pricing.

Rear clam will come shortly after if there is a demand.

I just need to make sure this will be worth our time before we invest a lot of money and time into making the moulds. In order to bring it down to the right price point we will need to sell atleast 3-5.

FYI these clams will NOT be made in China or any other Asian country

IF ANYONE IS READY TO PRE-ORDER A CLAM PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

·
Registered
203 Posts
This sounds like a great idea. I do not currently need one, but that can change in a hurry if I get in an accident, and quick availability will be a big selling point in that event.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Would these have the headlight buckets included? Not like sector111s which are just molded over?

Also, it would be nice to have an option to do the turn signal delete.. Not sure how difficult that would be to work into the mold.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm sure there's going to be demand for this. If not today, someone's going to need one tomorrow. And with the lack of suppliers out there I think it's a great idea.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would these have the headlight buckets included? Not like sector111s which are just molded over?

Also, it would be nice to have an option to do the turn signal delete.. Not sure how difficult that would be to work into the mold.
It will have have the headlight buckets it wont be race spec. If we do turn signal delete then it will limit our market as not every one wants this. You could always eliminate it yourself at a local shop.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Deff do it!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Like everyone else has said, I am sure you'd make it worth the investment, I bet 3-5 would sell right away.

Though I'd love to see the line go away, but keeping the turn signals.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Like everyone else has said, I am sure you'd make it worth the investment, I bet 3-5 would sell right away.

Though I'd love to see the line go away, but keeping the turn signals.

When did the line go away? I've noticed the exiges don't have it, and I doubt that would limit the market at all. I see cost being the biggest issue. If you could get the cost a little cheaper to the point where it would compete with typical shop rates for repairing, then you'll open the market up more. Just my two pennies.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think it's an exige only thing. Same with none of the "vents" near the rear taillights. and the vent behind the front wheels.

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Removing the line is something that I will be addressing with the manufacturer and seeing if it is feasable. deleting the turn signals wont be an option as that would require us to make 2 moulds.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Without knowing the costs or performing any sort of business analysis, I'd say there is about a 99% chance this would be a worthwhile endeavor over the long haul.

I can imagine 2 or 3 of these ordered every month for the next 15 years. I think the only risk is if somebody else wants to get into a similar business. You need to be at OEM quality though (or better).

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Without knowing the costs or performing any sort of business analysis, I'd say there is about a 99% chance this would be a worthwhile endeavor over the long haul.

I can imagine 2 or 3 of these ordered every month for the next 15 years. I think the only risk is if somebody else wants to get into a similar business. You need to be at OEM quality though (or better).
Thats the plan. Fit me needs to be as good as oem which doesnt say much because even the oem needs shims to make it fit right.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
You really can't lose, there is probably 20 around the country waiting for front clams right now due to accidents alone. If you do it, and you should, also contact the insurance companies to make sure they know you are a local (USA) supplier of the clams that can ship quickly and you won't have to worry if you sell enough, you will be worrying if you can make enough for the demand.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Hopefully you could laid up fiberglass instead of the sprayed variety. Exige clams seem more sturdy than elise

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
978 Posts
This is a no brainer. Make the things.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts