The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their front clamshell crack and break where the grill above the radiator connects and holds?
You can see it in the attached picture where the arrow is pointing (not the top horizontal line - that's the starshield edge).

Wondering how people have fixed this in the past. I'm considering just gluing a thin piece of aluminium on the back.

Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd find a slotted washer of the proper dimensions, and adhere it to the backside with 3M #08107. Or maybe or maybe cut it in halves and adhere at the ends of the fiberglass slot if you can't find the perfect washer.
View attachment 1314943
Considering the fact that it's not going to really be holding much weight at all, I was thinking of cutting a thin bendable piece of aluminium into basically the same shape as that washer and gluing it on the backside. I doubt I can find a long enough washer that is also thin and bendable.

Thanks for the glue recommendation... I was wondering about that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3D printing or fabricating something (while pretty cool) may be too much effort and too time consuming since one would have to worry about the curvature.
I think even something as simple as gluing on some duct tin may do the trick given that it's not going to support much weight at all.
But I was wondering if anyone has actually implemented any fixes or even if this is a common issue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My one caution would be to avoid dissimilar materials because of thermal expansion issues. Elise bodywork is short staple molded fiber (glass) reinforced (polyester) plastic. I'd probably put a scab patch of fiberglass cloth on the back side and 'glue' it in place with resin. A second injection of resin into the break points and some careful grinding/sanding with something like a dremel tool and you're fixed without having to take the clam off.
Good point about expansion. I wonder if it would be easier to use some flexible adhesive in order to not worry about expansion and be able to use differing materials? I know silicone isn't great on fiberglass but something else that's similar perhaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts