The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has an after market front splitter, which looks nice but reduces ground clearance by at least an inch - it's the lowest part of the car, and is too easily grounded. I want to remove it, but it appears that to do that, I have to remove the front undershield to get at seven bolts along the front of the splitter. I have both the parts book and the service books, but there is no mention that I can find of how to remove the undershield. I think I can see how to do it, but before I remove bolts etc and find out I'm wrong, I thought I would ask for advice!

So: exactly what is the procedure to remove the front undershield? How many bolts hold it in place?

Thanks!

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,292 Posts
Are you sure you want to delete this permanently?

U can either damage your spoiler from low clearance or your clam, but the clam is not so easily replaced. That said, my splitter comes off before u can remove the front under tray. Though it might not be obvious, getting to the bolts is a pain, I built a special tool to reach in and grab the the passenger front nut. The other side is accessible because I have removed that oil cooler.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Undertray removal

U can either damage your spoiler from low clearance or your clam, but the clam is not so easily replaced. That said, my splitter comes off before u can remove the front under tray. Though it might not be obvious, getting to the bolts is a pain, I built a special tool to reach in and grab the the passenger front nut. The other side is accessible because I have removed that oil cooler.
As far as I can see, the splitter on my car CANNOT be removed without first removing the undertray. It has seven bolts along its front underedge, and three more along its rear edge. The three rear bolts are threaded into the frame, no problem to remove. However, the seven front bolts appear to have nylock nuts on them and cannot be reached. Five of them cannot even be seen! It looks as though I have to remove the undertray to be able to reach the nuts holding the front seven. Therefore, I need to know how to remove the undertray.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Undertray removal

As far as I can see, the splitter on my car CANNOT be removed without first removing the undertray. It has seven bolts along its front underedge, and three more along its rear edge. The three rear bolts are threaded into the frame, no problem to remove. However, the seven front bolts appear to have nylock nuts on them and cannot be reached. Five of them cannot even be seen! It looks as though I have to remove the undertray to be able to reach the nuts holding the front seven. Therefore, I need to know how to remove the undertray.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I'd rethink removing the splitter. Yes, it's the first part to strike contact, but that's by design and it also protects your fragile and expensive front clam. The splitter is much easier and cheaper to replace, and IMO it improves the lines of the front end.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
the other option - although not as cool looking as a splitter - are the ultra thin - pretty invisible - clam plates Sir Lotus sells. I think they are 1/8" thick - 3 pieces - protects your clam as well as any splitter imo.
As far as removal - if the splitter is to come off first, it's a gross technique - but maybe you could behead the mounting bolts with a Dremel tool & cutoff wheel without hurting the splitter? (If you even care about the splitter). Then install the clam plates with high grade silicone. - they are what i have on my car. Love them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Splitter

I just installed a splitter, and wanted it to be Solid this time.

The small aluminum plate, the first undertray, right behind the front clam comes out very easily, giving you access to the complete inside of the front lip.
If I remember correctly there are 3 hex head bolts that use an 8mm socket on each of the 4 sides. Reomving this panel and unbolting the splitter will give you full access to the underside. When I reinstalled the splitter I used a jigsaw to grant clearance around the front 3 bolts of that tray; that way they are independent of each other and one doesn't have to come off so that the other can. Hopes this makes sense.

I drilled the clam this time and did five 5/16 stainless bolts with fender washers on both sides, neoprene washers between the stainless and fiberglass, and locknuts. Splitters are indeed Far more consumable than clams, but nonetheless, I like the look and effect and want to protect my splitter as well as my clam. I'm talking to Sir Lotus about a skid plate for under the splitter. That way I have 2 levels of protection before the clam.

·
3Xtothe0[]
489 Posts
the other option - although not as cool looking as a splitter - are the ultra thin - pretty invisible - clam plates Sir Lotus sells. I think they are 1/8" thick - 3 pieces - protects your clam as well as any splitter imo.
As far as removal - if the splitter is to come off first, it's a gross technique - but maybe you could behead the mounting bolts with a Dremel tool & cutoff wheel without hurting the splitter? (If you even care about the splitter). Then install the clam plates with high grade silicone. - they are what i have on my car. Love them.
Don't like splitters went with this and works very well.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Don't overthink it. Removing the front undertray is a few bolts - 8mm or 10mm I believe. Takes about 30 seconds.

Easier of you use a jack and put the front wheels up on Rhino Ramps.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Here is the stock setup from my 2009 Elise.

The only connectors that were a bit odd were the two plastic ones. The rest were metal and were easy to unscrew.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts