The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Too many, don’t care.
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know, I trashed two engines at the beginning of last summer. I rebuilt it a few times, didn't like it, broke some other stuff, drove the dragon for a bit, bought a complete new engine, sold it, etc.

Well, I figured that I just need to build it how I want it and just be done with it.

So I bought a K24a2 from an '08 Acura TSX. I got a smokin' deal on it. It only has 59k miles on it and came with a full wiring harness! I literally ordered this engine Wednesday afternoon from a junkyard in Wisconsin and it arrived Thursday morning. (Free shipping!)

Anywho, I ordered all the flanges and stainless pipe that I need to make my turbo manifold. I'm gonna be using a turbo from PTE (not sure what size yet). If I do a flex fuel setup, I think I will realistically make somewhere around 500hp. Hopefully it will be running again before all the drives this summer.

Attachments

·
He's on fire!
3,447 Posts
keep some notes on how long the install goes. I'd be curious to see a ball park number of hours it takes a guy in his garage to do a project like this! (begin to everything running fine)

All AX will be drift course for you :)

·
Registered
Too many, don’t care.
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, mine will take longer than most because I am fabricating a lot of my own stuff. Also, I will be doing a lot of custom body work. As for AX... well, I probably won't do much of that anymore. It wouldn't really be any fun for and even a bone stock civic would wipe the floor with me. My primary focus is now on the 1/2 shootout next year. I just want to embarrass all the Ferrari and lambo guys.

·
He's on fire!
3,447 Posts
going to track at all with it?

If you're going to be doing a lot of custom bodywork it seems safe to assume you're going to have some wide tires out back, any idea how wide you're going to go?

If its custom enough maybe you can be 'Ronin of the Midwest' :p

I think I heard of that shootout... is that the thing at the airport where they see who gets the highest speed? I think an eclipse got top honors last year (don't quote me though)

·
Registered
Too many, don’t care.
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's funny you mention the Ronin. I've actually been talking with frank a lot recently just for some advice. He may be a little rough around the edges and most people here don't like him... but he really is very knowledgable.

The half mile shootout is at an airport way out in the boonies. Last year the AMS Alpha Omega took first place @214mph. The eagle talon did like 209mph. My friend's supra did 198.7mph (on low boost and no nitrous). My goal is 170mph.

·
Registered
Too many, don’t care.
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The lambo guys were such a disappointment. I think the murcielago that was there only did 147mph.

·
Registered
Too many, don’t care.
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stability... not worried. I have a wing to help a bit. Other than that, if I crash... whatever. I'll just start from square one again. Ha

·
Registered
712 Posts
Elise's don't have that great of a cd. You're gonna have to make a lot of power. Good luck and I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

This will be cool to see.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Pooter that is awsome! Can't wait to see what it will do. Frank has been down every possible road and has ton's of knowlege. His web iterface may trouble some but his results can't be disputed. Are you going to use a k20 head? When i sold my dsm eclipse the new owner did 189 avg at bonneville. Yeah miss that power. That had a cd of .27 i think the elise is like .4 something. Good luck! Also for axles raxles.com can make custom high strength ones. Jim Clayton has used them. Tommy

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
Too many, don’t care.
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pooter that is awsome! Can't wait to see what it will do. Frank has been down every possible road and has ton's of knowlege. His web iterface may trouble some but his results can't be disputed. Are you going to use a k20 head? When i sold my dsm eclipse the new owner did 189 avg at bonneville. Yeah miss that power. That had a cd of .27 i think the elise is like .4 something. Good luck! Also for axles raxles.com can make custom high strength ones. Jim Clayton has used them. Tommy

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I'll be using the stock K24 head.

I have no idea what "cd" means.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
CD (or CDA more fully) Coefficient of Drag, or Coefficient of Drag with Area calculations. Our little cars have a boatload of drag for their size, there are literally mini-vans which have a lower CD. Weight saps your acceleration to about 60, beyond that speed, drag requires more HP to overcome than Mass.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey Pooter,

So I have a couple cents worth of info to throw at you, since I pretty much help people reach power goals with turbo motors for fun and sometimes profit.

If you're staying with a stock K24 and doing a turbo setup to hit ~175mph in the half, you're going to need anywhere from 550 if you do some aero mods to probably 600hp. Therefore, you are past the safe point of stock K24 intenals, even on E85. You'll have to build those.

Next point, you're gonna need at least a 62lb turbo. You said you were looking at precision turbos, and they are a great turbo. You're going to want at the minimum a 5858. I would recommend a 6262 though, it's a monster. Also, since you're planning on doing your own fab, go with the Vband.

That being said, I am a fan of borg warner turbos, and I would recommend the S261 from AGP turbo for your build if you're going for a nice budget turbo to hit your goals. Now, if you want a great street turbo that can hit those power goals, go for the EFR8374. It's not Vband, but it can spool insanely fast on your 2.4L and flow all you need.

Ok, just had to throw that out there. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.