The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my long and so far fruitless search for a Lotus, I've come across a few that have some discoloration on the passenger side upper grill. Has anyone on here had this happen and if so what's the cause and how did you repair it? If there's a post already covering this, I'll apologize in advance for my lack of a thorough search.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I use the Meguir's NXT Tech Protect Interior Protectant - says its good for plastic parts and it makes it look brand new.
I use it for the Elise front grills too.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I took mine out and after doing a paint prep type of cleaning painted it with Krylon fusion black paint, looks great.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It's plastic and oxidation will do that. Depending on what you use as protectant, it can actually accelerate it.

Using products such as Armour All will keep it looking good for a while, but your best bet is to take it off, prep it and shoot it with some new paint and clear coat. That will last you 10 times as long plus you can be creative.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Yep.....Back to Black OR you can take them out & paint them with Krylon spray paint for plastics.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I like Stoner's Trim Shine. No, I love it. I threw away my Meguiars and Back to Black once I tried it. You spray it on and that's it. No wiping. It's turns the grilles a nice, rich satin black.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
I like Stoner's Trim Shine. No, I love it. I threw away my Meguiars and Back to Black once I tried it. You spray it on and that's it. No wiping. It's turns the grilles a nice, rich satin black.
+1 on Andy's suggestion. I think I did a post on this a while back. Miraculous stuff

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
+2 for the Trim Shine. I've thrown out all the other products mentioned earlier on this thread and only use this stuff. Instant rich satin black finish with no effort and it lasts. I even used it on my plastic engine covers the hoses around the engine and it makes the engine bay look like new! No wiping or using any elbow grease--just spray it on and walk away. :up:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Interesting that it happens more on that side..what is underneath there?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
+3 for Trim Shine. It beats back to black hands down. For small grills, spray some into a container, then use a q-tip or paint brush to apply it. Works better than spraying everything in sight.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I use Lexol Vinylex on all of my plastic and rubber bits. It will remove stains as well. It even has that yummy new car smell to it. My 2005 still smells new inside.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Have used Mother's Back-to-Black and Stoner's Trim Shine. Stoner's was easier to use but I haven't noticed a difference between the two other than that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine looks just like the black car. I was going to bitch at the dealer and try to get a new one, but Stoner's Trim Shine sounds a lot easier.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Interesting that it happens more on that side..what is underneath there?
Maybe this is how you ID cars with 1 oil cooler vs 2 :shrug:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts