The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wonder if anyone can elaborate on the Elise's handling. I know its spectacular, but I was wondering what it is like at the limit? Does it snap oversteer like the S2000 or is it a bit more forgiving?

Also, do you expect any softening of the suspension to cater to americans (hope not..and with 2,500 or so being produced, i don't see why they would)?

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In Euro trim, which is all we have to go by for now. At the limits it tends to understeer. They do have a upgrade tire (+1 front) that moves it towards oversteer.

On the US spec, it's starting to look like there is a upgrade suspension package. If that turns out to be correct, would expect the std setup to be a bit softer then Euro tirm. With the upgrade running stiffer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LarryB said:
In Euro trim, which is all we have to go by for now. At the limits it tends to understeer. They do have a upgrade tire (+1 front) that moves it towards oversteer.

On the US spec, it's starting to look like there is a upgrade suspension package. If that turns out to be correct, would expect the std setup to be a bit softer then Euro tirm. With the upgrade running stiffer.
That sounds fairly forgiving at the limit. :D

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
LarryB said:
I certainly hope not (r: softer than Euro trim). Granted, I still haven't driven the damn thing, but from all I've read, the standard European suspnsion is very forgiving... Sounds like if it goes any softer, we've got the ride of a Kia Rio. hmmm

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Got a ride in a S1 Sport 190 (RHD) over the weekend. The rise was suprising smooth. I wish my Elise was going to be 1500lbs with 205bhp like this one was.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
adamant said:
Yes, I meant ride. :eek:
And yet both made sense. :p

One time I posted to an autocross list TEAM.NET with 1000 readers.. "How do you get come marks off my car?"

Argh...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The handling 111S in Los Gatos had very little body motion and fairly harsh ride. That model has the Euro "sport" suspension with the wider front tires and stiffer springs/anti-sways, doesn't it?

·
Registered
971 Posts
John Stimson said:
The handling 111S in Los Gatos had very little body motion and fairly harsh ride. That model has the Euro "sport" suspension with the wider front tires and stiffer springs/anti-sways, doesn't it?
From the Lotus UK website, it looks like the 111s has the standard tires. Since the "S" is the plush model. The 135R is the model that comes with wider tires, or was that tyres?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lumn8r said:
From the Lotus UK website, it looks like the 111s has the standard tires. Since the "S" is the plush model. The 135R is the model that comes with wider tires, or was that tyres?
Both 111 and 111s comer with the smaller front tyres and standard suspension. 135R comes stock with wider front tyres and Lotus Sport Suspension (LSS).

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The Sport 190 I rode in was actually running Yoko R compound tyres. I dont remember the sizes, just too much to take in for one afternoon. A 23B 23C Type 11 and my first look at an Elise. Can't wait to see the rest of his collection. They are on the web at http://utahlotusmuseum.com/index.htm

I can't believe all this time... and he lives in the same town as me. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy ;)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I drove the 111S two weeks ago. I was surprised how plush the suspension was. If the Fed model is plusher then I will definitely go for the "track" option. My gnrl impression was of a F1 kart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts