The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headliner had started sagging and while looking for ways to fix it I saw some photos showing that you can just take it off and run without a headliner. I tried it and it seems to work quite well. Photos and description below.

The sagging is caused by the foam between the cloth and the backing deteriorating. There is really no simple solution to fix it. It needs to be removed. Once the hardtop is off the car (Torx T40) you need a security torx T30 to remove the brackets on the rear which attach to the mounting bolt. A cheap bit kit from Harbor Freight has the security torx. If you are only pulling the headliner there is no need to take off the two side trim pieces (no need to drill out the rivets); just use some needle nose to pull it from the gap.

In case you're wondering, the headliner weighs ~170 grams.

I used brake parts cleaner and shop towel: soaked the shop towels in brake parts cleaner and let them sit on the adhesive for ~10minutes. I used towels and microfiber to remove the adhesive.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Midway through I started using a plastic brush which attaches to a power drill. This worked quite well and saved quite some time. First half took ~1.5 hours, second half ~45 min. Total time with removal and installation was ~4 hours. I quite like the look of the body colored roof and it also makes the hump a lot more visible which I think is a cool feature of the hardtop. I am not sure if the quality of the paint on the inside is always this good.

If you're curios my hardtop without the headliner and hardware weighs 8.75kg and the hardware was 462g.

Final result:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Some hard tops have a beautiful finish underneath the adhesive, and some are so-so. Mine is pretty decent, save for a splash of orange in the middle :shrug:

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Nice job! In the end, it's good 'ol mechanical action that works best to remove the glue. My paint was not great, but not so bad I couldn't live with it. Makes the car a bit louder though.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wow! No wonder you decided to run with no liner. Looks terrific! Handed mine to a place for relining and never saw what was underneath and now I'm curious! Either way, nice work!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts