The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some searching around on the site but haven't found anything more recent than 2016. What is the current practice for upgrading a 2005 Elise headlamp to an HID system?

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I am interested as well. I did see some recent posts but the results from the LED path did not seem promising. I am not sure if the 05 housing will accommodate the new style LED. Still low on my upgrade priority list though. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used LED on multiple cars now and always have loved them. Would like to convert the Elise over as well, in my opinion it's preferred over HID.

·
Premium Member
11,583 Posts
Note that a major supplier of LEDs - The Retrofit Source - stated that LEDs don't get light as far down the road as HIDs.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I have LEDs on my 05 Elise for my low beams. Almost 3 years with them. IMO, it is an improvement over stock and visually looks better and brighter. As glb states, it does not shine as far down the road as HIDs or even the stock bulbs but I feel it shines more than enough of the road for me. It's brighter on the area that it does light up vs stock. I rarely drive on many pitch dark roads so not too much of an issue trying to see further down the road. If you drive on plenty of dark roads, I would probably not recommend LEDs but it can be done with more awareness. HIDs are probably the best, but don't go cheap quality/brand on those. I'm sure other members will chime in on a good set of HIDs.

·
Premium Member
11,583 Posts
I can't really agree with using LEDs as any beam. Light need to give us most warning, i.e. go furthest down the road. I drive at night on highways, country roads, whatever comes up.

For better light in front, I did add LED driving lights, but would not use those mainly. They do light quickly, good for when I obnoxiously flash my headlights,

I also live near deer. On all cars, headlights are pointed a bit more to the right and up slightly....to increase warning (possibly).

I remember the great Tim Mullin and I joking about someone who wanted to add those dumb deer "sirens". We were pretty sure what it said to deer was, "Hey! Jump in front of me!!!"

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not interested in LEDs - I live in the sticks, so throwing a beam farther down the road is the goal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed the Inokinetic lumoshid kit, not worth it IMO. Adaptor plate onto aftermarket projector didn’t fit, had to re-machine them. Projectors were also too long for the stock headlamp bucket so I had to modify the stock headlight bracket pretty heavily.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've gotten spoiled by the OEM LEDs, like in my Audi, and hated the warm up time and bluish color of the HIDs in my Exige. I've tried at least 3 sets of older LEDs and they all sucked bad... No light down the road and just plain unusable. So I bit the bullet and tried yet another set of LEDs but this time, they actually worked, and worked better than the HIDs.

DDM Tuning Saber 50w. It took a bit of tuning (they spin in their bases and go from a nice wide pattern to shining down the road) and I had to find the right compromise. I eventually ended up with kind of a narrow band down the road and aimed my headlights a bit wider than with the HIDs. While nothing like an OEM application, but so much better that my old HIDs. I've driven my Lotus in complete dark and its easily enough and better than my old HIDs.

So IMHO, the LEDs have caught the HIDs in usable light but have a much better color, zero warm up time and hopefully they don't burn the reflective finish of the headlights, like all my aftermarket HIDs have done (esp on the top of the lamp).

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
in the early days ~2009, Everyone was using the DDM 55watt kits with the 6000k bulbs. They are still functioning to this day. I would still recommend those.

The ones I install in my Elise back in 2010 still work fine today.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks - I'll take a look.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curious as to what you're going to look at, the LEDs or HIDs?

San
I will look at the DDM LEDs to see if they can throw the same (or more) light compared to HID.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts