The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the key in the ignition to the 2nd position, I hear a buzzing noise sometimes. It occurs most times, but not every time I turn the key. It wasn't occuring at all before.

I still hear the usual whir noise from the engine bay when I turn off the immobilizer, and it overlaps with the buzz. If I leave it immobilized when I turn the key, there is no whir, but the buzz will often still occur.

The buzz is not consistent in duration. Sometimes it's about 2 sec long, sometimes it's less than 1 sec. When the buzz does not happen or when it's short in duration, I hear a quiet click-click (quieter than the turn signal click for example).

The sound of the buzz is not even, the tone varies a bit.

I left the trunk lid open and stuck my head out the roof to listen, and I believe the buzz is coming from around the instrument cluster.

I was looking at the problem in the following old thread, which didn't have a resolution, since the description of the noise might be similar to mine, but I think mine is coming from the cabin: Ignition noise, problem?

It's a 2009 Elise, so I think it has a different alarm, not the Cobra. I had read about a buzz noise when you leave the door open while turning the alarm on, but mine beeps instead.

The car starts and I did not notice any telltale lights on to indicate errors while driving.

Some other posts mention disconnecting the battery to reset the instrument cluster to resolve other problems, so I'll try that later, but first want to see if anyone recognizes this problem while I can still easily reproduce it.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,394 Posts
@krn If you're going to disconnect the battery, press on the brake pedal for 5 seconds. That will do a soft ECU reset.

For a meter reset, with the driver's door open, turn the ignition on. Turn the ignition off. Press and hod the trip meter reset button. Turn the ignition on, wait about 5 seconds and turn the ignition off. Release the trip meter reset button. Turn the ignition on. The service light comes on then goes off after four seconds.

Hope this helps.

San

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the tacho/speedo reset, suggested by San, and the buzz is gone now. Thanks again!

For future reference, the steps might be different depending on your model year, or instructions may have been revised. For example:

2005+ owner's manual:
  • Open driver‘s door;
  • Press and hold trip reset button on steering column shroud;
  • Turn on ignition.
2007+ owner's manual and service notes:
  • On airbag equipped cars, first remove fuse C3 (beneath fascia);
  • Open driver's door;
  • Press and hold trip reset button on column shroud;
  • Turn on ignition;
  • Turn off ignition and refit fuse C3.

·
Registered
33 Posts
oh, hey! mine buzzes too, but apparently never raised to my consciousness enough to wonder about it. I'm going to try this trick to see if it goes away. Thanks for posting your issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts