The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a FYI, I got the latest MT today and while not on the cover it has a review of the Elise. They show a pic of it next to a big a$$ truck. Definitely see how it could be invisible to that thing. Anyway, as soon as I get the article scanned I'll post it in the articles section. The nice thing about this test is it's a British Green Touring pack. No LSS on this one so it's like the car I'm getting. They pulled a 5.1 0-60. Says they only managed 116ft 60-0. Compared to the Boxster S 110ft. That doesn't seem quite right but who knows. An Evo does it in like 106ft. The skidpad average was 0.99g. Says they pulled over 1.0 g to the left I think and just under to the right.

The best part is without LSS they posted a new record for the slalom. Outpacing a Ferrari Challenge Stradale I believe.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
amcmahon said:
Just a FYI, I got the latest MT today and while not on the cover it has a review of the Elise. They show a pic of it next to a big a$$ truck. Definitely see how it could be invisible to that thing. Anyway, as soon as I get the article scanned I'll post it in the articles section. The nice thing about this test is it's a British Green Touring pack. No LSS on this one so it's like the car I'm getting. They pulled a 5.1 0-60. Says they only managed 116ft 60-0. Compared to the Boxster S 110ft. That doesn't seem quite right but who knows. An Evo does it in like 106ft. The skidpad average was 0.99g. Says they pulled over 1.0 g to the left I think and just under to the right.

The best part is without LSS they posted a new record for the slalom. Outpacing a Ferrari Challenge Stradale I believe.
all those numbers sound disappointing except for the skidpad. thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The acceleration figure is probably spot-on for 'normal' use.

The figures quoted by Lotus are usually done in a "let's destroy the gearbox in one run" mode. Almost full throttle high PRM starts, full throttle and no-clutch shifting, etc..

If you have ever seen the Project M111 video you'll see how they did the initial 0-60mph tests on the Elise and that they expected to get about 2 to 3 runs out of it before it was broken.

Brake testing is always a bit tricky. The distance varies hugely with the type of road surface, temperatures, humidity, etc. and the method of braking.

The Elise usually doesn't get a very good result in panic-braking tests, even with ABS, because the relatively skinny front tires are lacking in basic grip. So if the test here is a basic 'slam on the brakes as fast as possible' then I'm not surprised.

Oh.. and when braking hard, try not to dip the clutch until you're almost coming to a stop.. the brake system on the Elise works best that way.

It does do very well, however, in track situations where you do much more controlled braking and 'load up' the front with enoguh weight-transfer. If you do this then you get the feeling the car is 'standing on its nose' as it's braking so hard and quick. (and you'll notice that you can brake quite a bit later than 'normal' cars on track)

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I got the mag too. They do say that it is bar none the best all around handling production car out today. Along with saying the engine is a perfect match for the car and that it can easily make a daily driver. Lastly, they say it is the best thing to come out of Britain since Elizabeth Hurley. Basically another glowing review.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I split out the pics and text from your scans (left the dog hair) :). Thanks!

I liked the review but now wish what they would have wrote if they had a Sports Pack model.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Donovan said:
I got the mag too. They do say that it is bar none the best all around handling production car out today.
No they don't... What they said way even more impressive.
It is indeed, the best-handling, most dedicated, least apologetic production car we've EVER tested
They have never... EVER tested any production car that handles as good as the Elise!:clap: :clap: :eek: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I liked the review but now wish what they would have wrote if they had a Sports Pack model.
The car in the pictures is not a Sportpak car. Supposedly, the Krypton Green car and the Chrome Orange car are the only Sportpak cars in the US right now. I'm guessing their tests were all run with the standard suspension & tires.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
LOTUS ARE YOU READING THIS

I want the eliz hurley option!!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Randy Chase said:

From the scan:
Mind you, there's a $2480 Sport package available, which this test unit didn't have. It sharpens the Elise even further with lighter wheels, grippier tires, and track-tuned suspension. Oh, the possibibilities.

:clap:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Great numbers, and a greeat long list of delays for produciton, delivery, and ownership. I am beginning to think that leaving the 1000 dollars on the table is almost worth it in the form of me deposit.

P.S. Those numbers are not that good, and for a little more money and a lot less long wait list, the Z06 is beginning to call my name. Then again there is the EVO which for $5,000 in mods can destroy most any car.

I will be the first to say that if there is one more delay, I will gladly leave my deposit on the table, and anyone can take the car I was supposed to take. Especially considering those numbers. I know that there will be people who say that the acecleration can be better, but to be honest, who does Lotus think they are making us go through all of this for good, but not Exceptional performance? Way to go... Great business model.... Even better customer service.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mean TT said:
Great numbers, and a greeat long list of delays for produciton, delivery, and ownership. I am beginning to think that leaving the 1000 dollars on the table is almost worth it in the form of me deposit.

P.S. Those numbers are not that good, and for a little more money and a lot less long wait list, the Z06 is beginning to call my name. Then again there is the EVO which for $5,000 in mods can destroy most any car.

I will be the first to say that if there is one more delay, I will gladly leave my deposit on the table, and anyone can take the car I was supposed to take. Especially considering those numbers. I know that there will be people who say that the acecleration can be better, but to be honest, who does Lotus think they are making us go through all of this for good, but not Exceptional performance? Way to go... Great business model.... Even better customer service.
Not sure if you read the article posted in the articles section but if you don't think those #'s are good you're tokin a little too much weed man. :no:

The standard suspension Elise out slalomed a Ferrari Challenge Stradale!!!!! Yea, a $200K car beaten by a $40K car bone stock. If you're not happy with these #'s then look at C&D. A 4.4 0-60 better for you? 1.06g? Which by the way is higher than a Ferrari ENZO! In fact it's better than just about every exotic sports car on the market. Ford GT40, Lambo Murcielago, Porsche GT3.

But I guess you're right. Those #'s aren't that good.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I think that perhaps the built of hype is starting to get to people. Over-boosted expectations?

Going into this thing, I knew the car would accelerate well, but not exceptionally. I'm sure you can get less than 5.1 0-60, but you have to abuse the car. 1950 .lbs and 190hp...do the math. Having driven the Euro 120hp version, I would have gladly purchased that vehicle, albeit at a lower price if the Federal car were not for sale. We've also known what kind of handling numbers the base car would produce for a while by looking at European tests. If not the exact numbers, we had a general ballpark.

Maybe there is frustration going on from the cars not arriving as soon as hoped, but if you are thinking of dropping your deposit, the car's performance is not to blame. We have known what the car can do for quite some time, and the comparisons to super cars in terms of overall performance are slightly exaggerated. Still, I can't imagine being unsatisfied with a sport pack Elise as compared to a Z06 or Evo in terms of handling. For me, it's not just about performance. I like a little mystique, a little passion, and perhaps even a little sense of having a special vehicle..

Hang in there. Unless you require better acceleration, the car shouldn't disappoint.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
In all fairness, those other vehicles should also get tires similar to the A048 before making direct comparisons. Still all the more impressive that the base vehicle achieves the numbers that it does. I think that is why some people were expecting a little more out of the sport pack, but the difference is still ~ .07 on the skidpad.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
One thing was nice to see was validation of my impressions of the stock non-LSS car after autocrossing it. Mainly, that the slalom ability of that car was truly phenominal.

I never ever ever bought this car for it's 0-60 times.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Mean TT said:

So your not impressed by the numbers, and a quote like "It is, indeed, the best-handling, most-dedicated, least-apologetic production sports car we've ever tested." does'nt impress you either? You're tough to please!

Have you driven the Elise? It may not be able to beat a Z06 head to head (especially on longer tracks), but the driving experience is what sets it apart. I've driven some 'vettes and they are brutishly fun, but it's not what I'm looking for in a car. You can find faster cars, and MAYBE better handling cars, but the list of them is very short indeed for under $45K.

It's a unique car made by unique and frustrating company. Don't give yourself an ulcer over it though.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Hey Mean,,
Donate your slot to someone further down the line who DOES like those, buy a vette, happy motoring;)
Chris

1 - 20 of 57 Posts