The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely visit LT anymore, so this may have been posted. Sorry if it's a repost. A buddy sent me a link to this video of an Elise in a wind tunnel. Pretty interesting.

Cheers..
Brad

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
This was new to me, so thanks for posting. At 2:48, at least I see why all that radiator heat comes in when you least want it: when it's hot and the top is off. I'm wondering now if some small spoiler mounted on the rear header rail might help with this. I know Mercedes has some type of spoiler that deploys from the windshield header on its convertible - like cars with sunroofs have - but I assume in that car, it's mainly to reduce buffeting. Actual wind deflection might aid buffeting - which the Lotus doesn't seem to have at the front edge, would also keep the heat out of the passenger compartment by reducing turbulence at the back edge.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
it is a re-post, but Dang I love watching this.

I have been tempted to try a gurney flap on the top of the windshield to see if that would change the hot air coming into the car.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
yes, it is a great video, it helped settle the point of discussion about how functional the side scoops were for cooling. It also shows how the diffuser is at too steep of an angle, causing the undercar flow to become turbulent and disconnected.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
This video what got me thinking about turning the naca ducks 180deg on the under tray. Shaped sort of like a vortex generator, adds energized air. Now if I can just get my smoke generator working for testing.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Doug Porsche,
Consider using an old sailors trick, tell-tales and a video camera to catch their behavior to visualize air flow.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Doug Porsche,
Consider using an old sailors trick, tell-tales and a video camera to catch their behavior to visualize air flow.
I have a video verifying that air is coming out of the ducts like I hoped. I just didnt have more than two pieces of yarn to test with. Engine temps didnt change radically so..... To the Yarn store!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts