The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume this intake will fit the US Elise right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27375&item=2488145377&rd=1

Does anyone know if this will void the warranty? Is Lotus strict on aftermarket upgrades to the car? I would think this wouldn't effect the warranty but don't want to take a chance. I really think this would be a nice upgrade. The car sounds great but it would be interesting to get a little more intake noise (for less than $100 too). Does 5hp sound like a reasonable gain from this engine?

Thanks for the input,
Dan

·
Registered
549 Posts
Also...based on pics I have seen of this setup>>>

from the UK sites, the cone filter is inside the engine bay thus sucking in hot air... the stock intake with the CAI snorkle on the Fed Elise (see one of my earlier posts) is far superior...maybe (and I am saying this WITHOUT knowing the type of filter is stock) a performance type filter is all you need to do...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Keep in mind, a "normal" paper filter will filter the air better than a K&N, foam, etc. filter. Unless the actual filter is the restriction (I have no idea on the Elise, but I doubt it), adding a freer flowing filter will not improve performance, but will allow more fine particles into the intake tract...

K&Ns were originally popular for off-roading because they were re-usable, not because they filtered better. I still remember dirt-biking all day in the deserts of Southern California and having to clean the filter at the end of the day - the K&Ns were much cheaper than replacing the regular filter. Then again, a rebuild consisting of new rings and a gasket set for my old 2-stroke, only cost a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just as a caution, I had a cold air installed in my '97 Boxster. It was causing all kinds of problems. The intake sound was awesome and the engine felt more responsive at higher revs (well, just seat-of-the-pants, subsequent dynoing did not reveal any improvements despite the mfgr's claim). Frankly too, you probably see more variations dynoing different cars than the meager gains these makers claim.

Unfortunately, the car ran hotter on the track and actually overheated on a very hot day (110 deg I think). The mass airflow sensor went kaput because it wasn't designed to handle the large volume of air. Also remember vaguely coming across concerns from others about sucking in rain water when raining heavily because the intake faces forward and is pointed right into the side air scoop on the Boxster.

It could be that my car is kinda old, and the radiator is a little more clogged up than on a new car. It is also possible that I got one of the early versions of the air intake that didn't get the benefit of more rigorous testing and hindsight. But needless to say, on a mid-engined car like the Elise or Boxster, it seems engine cooling is a major issue. Would be nice to see how that engine mods work though.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
You might want to wait a little bit more, until more 111R/Fed specific products come into the market. I know Shinoo has one in development. What ever happened to Race and Prestige?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I know that on the car I have (WRX), aftermarket intakes that aren't carefully designed can give faulty MAF readings, and for example make the engine run lean. To make them work well, you need to get the engine tuned for the specific intake. If you don't, the worst case is a blown engine.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: Also...based on pics I have seen of this setup>>>

michaelTT said:
from the UK sites, the cone filter is inside the engine bay thus sucking in hot air... the stock intake with the CAI snorkle on the Fed Elise (see one of my earlier posts) is far superior...maybe (and I am saying this WITHOUT knowing the type of filter is stock) a performance type filter is all you need to do...
According to a few people on SELOC, you can fit either the K&N or the Blitz cone filters on a 111R. If you would like more info on the topic, do a search on SELOC for K&N or Blitz. I don't think either option is a good choice being as they sit inside the engine bay (and suck up hot air).

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Tim is right, most K&N-type filters allow more dust into the engine along with the additional airflow. But are these particles larger and in more quantity than the particles generated as a by-product of combustion? I have reviewed the SAE studies and discussed at length with intake/engine engineers about the chance for additional engine damage. This is a hot point of discussion amongst the SAE ranks. There is no certain consensus. Frankly the jury is out. One point of reference is the Ford is using foam filters in their new Focus.

Designing a good intake is also quite a challenge in modern cars. Slapping a cone filter in a hot engine bay is a huge mistake. MAF sensors have added a significant challenge.

I'd suggest you look at dyno results of any of the systems you are considering for your car. Please also consider who has designed the system and their experience level/know-how. We will carry the foam ITG intakes and filters. These guys supply F1 race teams as well as some of the best aftermarket systems available for Lotus and others.

FYI: I have worked in OEM automotive filtration for over 8 years.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
shinoo, when will the CAI be available for the US Elise and what is the HP gain. I would love to see an CAI & Exhaust combo deliver an additional 10-15hp.
ITG is still developing their system. I've only seen pix of their prototype. No dyno results are available yet. I hope to have it by the end of the year. We'll definately dyno the ITG with the exhausts we offer. Can we achieve 10-15 hp? I honestly don't know at this point.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
shinoo,
Is lotus accepting of aftermarket performance? Do any Lotus owners have any experience in this area? I dont intend on chipping the car if it becomes available but I would like to try a few tasty bits...
Dan Parker

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
BrianK said:
interesting articles on filters & their effectivness:
Becareful at drawing conclusions from these 'studies'. The test methods employed would not have been acceptable 20 yrs ago let alone now. Engineers/scientists have worked diligently for decades to refine their test methodologies. These internet postings really make a mockery of all the work that has been done to provide results that are repeatable and meaningful.

Maybe I should post instructions on how to set an Elise's suspension alignment using a Home Depot tape measure. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the arrogance. I'm an engineering geek.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
shinoo said:
Maybe I should post instructions on how to set an Elise's suspension alignment using a Home Depot tape measure. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the arrogance. I'm an engineering geek.
Actually, if you know what you are doing, all you need to set up the alignment a level surface, some string, a tape measure and a calculator. I've helped to set up the alignment on a race car doing this.

I'm also an engineering geek.:D

As for intake improvements, it still comes down to improving on what Lotus has done. The car doesn't need a "Cold Air" intake - the intake is located so that it gets it air from the left hand side intake grill - it's already a "cold air" intake. As for changing filters to a freer flowing filter, that will only help if the filter is the "bottleneck" in the intake system - we don't know that it is, and I doubt that it will prove to be. It's fairly easy for the manufacturer to increase the size of the filter/box if it is, especially if they are looking to optimize power as Lotus was.

I suspect that the Engine in the Elise is already pretty well "tweaked", and although it may be possible to squeeze a bit more power out of it, you aren't going to get much more. And if you do, it will be by compromising something else: more top end may mean less low end torque, etc. etc... It may just be me, but Lotus engineers are pretty good at getting the max performance out of things...

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
TimMullen said:
I suspect that the Engine in the Elise is already pretty well "tweaked", and although it may be possible to squeeze a bit more power out of it, you aren't going to get much more. And if you do, it will be by compromising something else: more top end may mean less low end torque, etc. etc...
ITG managed to get an additional 8bhp (at 500 less rpm) and more torque over the entire rpm range with their kit for the Rover engined S2.

Noise and filtration efficiency is generally what gets compromised. This allows them to stretch the performance envelope a bit beyond what Lotus achieved. Lotus engineers are brilliant but they are contrained by many variables that the aftermarket can ignore.

I don't know if ITG can achieve the same with the Toy motor. They've managed to find improvements in Honda VTEC engines so I'm pretty confident they will. We'll soon find out.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Is lotus accepting of aftermarket performance? Do any Lotus owners have any experience in this area? I
Dan,

Plenty of Elise owners are tweaking their cars globally. Lotus themselves offer certain aftermarket parts. Aftermarket parts generally compromise one area for an improvement in another. The way I see it, it allows me to personalize a car to look and perform the way I want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts