The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, maybe the overseas folks can answer this question- how do the metal floorboards of the Elise fare as far as scratches go?

I know I'm going to be giving lots of rides to friends and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to make them take off their shoes first! I guess floor mats would be the answer. But the exposed metal looks so cool... I'm just worried that the floor will end up looking like my stainless steel sink (scratches and swirls).

Thanks in advance! I want to make sure to get the floor mats before the car comes, if I have to.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
the floor boards are covered with the factory mat or full carpets (touring) the only exposed chassis alu. is on the sills, footwells, etc...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I meant, the footwell and that piece that looks like a metal footrest on the passenger side (with holes in it). Doesn't that get scratched up from people's shoes?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
the brushed aluminum bits in my spyder do not appear to look any worse for wear in 3 years and 97k miles

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
m100 Sean said:
That's what I meant, the footwell and that piece that looks like a metal footrest on the passenger side (with holes in it). Doesn't that get scratched up from people's shoes?
it's just a car ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
LotusLust said:
the brushed aluminum bits in my spyder do not appear to look any worse for wear in 3 years and 97k miles
97k in 3yrs? I need a job that lets me have the time to do that...

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can buy 3M clear bra material in bulk. That should do the trick, but it will be slippery.

·
Registered
279 Posts
m100 Sean said:

Basically no, because:

1) You enjoy driving the car most of the time alone, or
2) The passenger's feet don't reach the footrest :D (common for people around 5'4"=1.60m). When she drives the car and I'm the passenger (6'4"), I rest my feet above it:).

And as atyclb said: It's just a car ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had the same thought about the 3M material, but it probably scratches easier than the aluminum. And, from what I understand, it's not easy to remove. You pretty much have to take a razor blade to it, and cut it off.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wish I made enough money to be able to keep the car for longer, but, alas, I don't. So, to me it's not "just a car", it's a matter of how clean I can keep it through this Summer so I can advertise it as "perfect" when I go to sell it in the Fall...

Well, to be completely truthful, I am anal about my cars anyway. :)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,199 Posts
usofrob said:
I had the same thought about the 3M material, but it probably scratches easier than the aluminum. And, from what I understand, it's not easy to remove. You pretty much have to take a razor blade to it, and cut it off.
Yes, the 3M film will stick very well to the aluminum. It will be a real pain to remove as the film will separate from the adhesive.
Not a good idea.

The carpets should do the trick. Get the Touring pack for maximum carpet coverage.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
shinoo said:
Yes, the 3M film will stick very well to the aluminum. It will be a real pain to remove as the film will separate from the adhesive.
Not a good idea.

The carpets should do the trick. Get the Touring pack for maximum carpet coverage.
what about 'scuff proof' door sill protection? is carbon fiber
possible?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
The difference in carpeting between the touring and standard cars is somewhat exaggerated. Most of the carpet is added in places you cannot or do not put your feet. The base package still has carpet or a mat in the footwells.

Those carbon door sill covers may look nice just because the plastic color no longer matches the dash anyway. I suspect the clear coat is prone to scratching too, but at least you can remove the piece. This isn't a car for the concours type, so I probably won't cover my sills at all.

I know the pedal pads are basically bolt ons. Is the passenger foot rest the same?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The aluminium is not suitable for abrasive cleaning. I believe it has a light coating on already which can be damaged by overzealous rubbing. Some people have tried and it has marked up worse than when they started. There are a number of archive references to this on the British car sites. Strongly suggest you reference them before attacking any marks you may get. I just wipe down with a wet chamois.
BTW, I do not make passengers take their shoes off, but I do make sure I tell them to be careful. It is more the sills and door that get marked by their shoes than the chassis. The most common complaint is when closing the door. Because the door is so light, many first timers pull it quite hard, resulting in a big (cringe causing) bang. A standing joke with Elise owners is that they always have to say DO NOT SLAM THE DOOR to first timers !
Giles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts