1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
Interesting!

·
Tire abuser
772 Posts
No A/C in your car? Interesting that the A/C compressor light seems to be on in one picture. Very clean looking install.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Very clean indeed! Love the idea. Would heavily consider if I still had my Elise. Frankie1981 has it now. I miss it but not enough to get rid of my IPS :eek:) Love this baby!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
No A/C in your car? Interesting that the A/C compressor light seems to be on in one picture. Very clean looking install.
Very interesting.

I did a double din custom thing in my last Elise (see pic). Used the airbag cover (same curvature) and stereo shop tweaked it/covered it. We just covered up the AC vents (the tube ends just covered in plastic).

The AC sucked so bad on that car, that this actually improved it. Instead of coming out of the 4 total vents, the AC just came out of the two side pod vents. No biggie.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
To the OP: Al and Eds does some cool stuff. I got the inspiration for my prior Elise from a Tesla they did.

Can you share more on the install:

- What sort of fabrication had to be done?
- Can you give reverse shots (from the windshield in).
- How does the housing match the rest of the dash/fit
- Does the IPAD have a data plan? Assuming so to get nav/etc. Does it work everywhere (bad cells)?
- What other components (speakers/amp/sub) are you running it with?
- How is the sound? You are effectively using this as your head unit.

But most importantly - how does it all connect? I'm looking at my Mini and it has a headphone 3.5MM jack and a Lighting port. How do you connect 4 RCAs for speakers and a RCAs/Remote Wire for an Amp or powered sub? What about radio antenna? Also, assuming you can't use it as a bluetooth enable phone correct - can you push your phone through this like a bluetooth head unit with a mic?

NEEDZ. MOAR. DETAILZ.

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
To the OP: Al and Eds does some cool stuff. I got the inspiration for my prior Elise from a Tesla they did.

- Does the IPAD have a data plan? Assuming so to get nav/etc. Does it work everywhere (bad cells)?

But most importantly - how does it all connect? I'm looking at my Mini and it has a headphone 3.5MM jack and a Lighting port. How do you connect 4 RCAs for speakers and a RCAs/Remote Wire for an Amp or powered sub? What about radio antenna? Also, assuming you can't use it as a bluetooth enable phone correct - can you push your phone through this like a bluetooth head unit with a mic?

NEEDZ. MOAR. DETAILZ.

I have to say I'm impressed with how clean your dash looks. I wanted to achieve something similar but the ipad mini is unfortunately too tall (taller than a double din).

Will post reverse shots. You can still see part of the vent bulges. Same as in your setup - I only have 2 vents now on the sides but the greater pressure compensates for it. My AC light was on since the AC was running when I took that pic. LA weather in the winter eh? :)

Yes, you need a data plan for the ipad to have internet access everywhere. It runs at about $30-50 a month depending on data cap/theft insurance for the device etc. You cant make normal calls - just facetime skype and hangouts. You can send and receive texts and emails just fine. Yes there are areas with low reception but what I hate the worst are crowded cells - it shows full bars but no packets are being received.

I'm running a PDX V9 amp in the trunk, and a JL audio CL-RLC preamp before the volume control and then the RCA cables into the audio out of a 24 pin apple dock. They had to add a 24pin to 9pin to take audio out of the ipad and charge the ipad at teh same time - I'm still unclear as to what they did there why they needed to do that..

The sub is a 8in jl sub inside a custom fit enclosure that I bought from Chuck: Lotus Elise Exige Painted Subwoofer Enclosure Sub Box | eBay

The audio is pretty damn good, as far as I can tell. I'm streaming with no interruptions on LTE at full 320kbps quality from my website just hear it - Any song. Legal. Free.

PS. Speakers were polks mm 525 front and back same size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

NEEDZ. MOAR. DETAILZ.

Just saw this "But most importantly - how does it all connect? I'm looking at my Mini and it has a headphone 3.5MM jack and a Lighting port. How do you connect 4 RCAs for speakers and a RCAs/Remote Wire for an Amp or powered sub? What about radio antenna? Also, assuming you can't use it as a bluetooth enable phone correct - can you push your phone through this like a bluetooth head unit with a mic?"

Lightning to dock. the dock has 3.5 out and another lightning port for charging. If you dont have a lightning dock, you can use a 24 pin dock from an iphone 4 and use a 8pin to 24pin converter in front of the dock.

Also check this link out to see some parts that will make it easier to understand/picture Soundman Enterprises inc : Home of the iPad install

No need for radio antenna. You can use a bunch of apps to stream all the FM and AM radio stations on the planet.

I don't know if there's ways to push my phone's audio through the ipad, but that's very interesting will do some research -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts