The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 1694 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It looks really good. I feel like the screen could be so much bigger in the gauge shroud. But then, how much of this is covered by the shroud?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
this is pretty damn incredible...

subscribed & very interested.

also, didnt see this talked about (but admittedly got excited & skimmed through a lot of the thread as well)... but I thought there were some lag/latency issues with the pre '08 digi-dashes (AIM, racepak, ect.) because of the obd 'refresh rate' not being as quick in the earlier 05-07 models as the newer 08's were

is there any truth behind that & does this dash factor in anything of that nature?

i could be way off on this too, so ignore my reply if its no accurate (just going off memory of past threads about aftermarket clusters)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
this is pretty damn incredible...

subscribed & very interested.

also, didnt see this talked about (but admittedly got excited & skimmed through a lot of the thread as well)... but I thought there were some lag/latency issues with the pre '08 digi-dashes (AIM, racepak, ect.) because of the obd 'refresh rate' not being as quick in the earlier 05-07 models as the newer 08's were

is there any truth behind that & does this dash factor in anything of that nature?

i could be way off on this too, so ignore my reply if its no accurate (just going off memory of past threads about aftermarket clusters)

You are correct , OBD is for diagnostic,
manufacturers don't tend to waste processing power updating the OBD canbus data at a high refresh rate

This dash is not connected to the obd port and not reading the generic OBD canbus messages

Its using the same canbus messages as the original cluster
and therefore running at the same refresh rate

...any difference you may see in my videos is down to software damping , softening the movements to make it more realistic

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Will there be a black gauge face offered? I did the gauge swap with red LCD and needles and white backlight. Or is that all custom?
yes

3/4 classic screens will be available

S1

S2 k series (later)

S2 white

S2/S3 black

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
You are correct , OBD is for diagnostic,
manufacturers don't tend to waste processing power updating the OBD canbus data at a high refresh rate

This dash is not connected to the obd port and not reading the generic OBD canbus messages

Its using the same canbus messages as the original cluster
and therefore running at the same refresh rate

...any difference you may see in my videos is down to software damping , softening the movements to make it more realistic
awesome, thanks for clarifying that :up:

·
Registered
368 Posts
garw,

Cool project, I can't wait to see it finished! I have a few questions:
  • What underlying OS are you using, e.g. Linux/Android, QNX, BSD, something embedded, from scratch microkernel?
  • Are you using a SOC with networking/WiFi? If so are you including a networking stack with the OS?
  • Besides networking, will this have any externally accessible interfaces, e.g. USB, serial, bluetooth?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
garw,

Cool project, I can't wait to see it finished! I have a few questions:

• What underlying OS are you using, e.g. Linux/Android, QNX, BSD, something embedded, from scratch microkernel?
    Are you using a SOC with networking/WiFi? If so are you including a networking stack with the OS?
    Besides networking, will this have any externally accessible interfaces, e.g. USB, serial, bluetooth?
Embedded Linux kernel built for the job, the rest of the system is again tailored for the job (not Debian or any other distribution )

It is a soc , all network expansion is via the 2 USB ports .

Wifi , Bluetooth , serial , GPS all tested and part o the os capability .

Native serial port connected for firmware updates and any other use .

As well as multiple inputs and outputs analogue, canbus etc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Embedded Linux kernel built for the job, the rest of the system is again tailored for the job (not Debian or any other distribution )

Cool! Not trying to get too nerdy, but what are you using to drive the graphics, e.g. framebuffer, mesaFB, X, wayland? And are you using any toolkits or APIs like QT or GTK to make your job easier?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #159

Cool! Not trying to get too nerdy, but what are you using to drive the graphics, e.g. framebuffer, mesaFB, X, wayland? And are you using any toolkits or APIs like QT or GTK to make your job easier?
:). And you probably guess most of it

The frame buffer is OpenGL accelerated through the hardware

No x window running slowing it down .

·
purveyor of lightness
4,118 Posts
Can we still have a simple red LED somewhere behind the front bezel that is wired to the stock immobilizer/shift light?

Otherwise I'd never know if my car has battery power (and needs to have the security system deactivated) or not.

Also in the extreme case of having the remote go dead you have to count the flashes for the PIN code...

141 - 160 of 1694 Posts