The Lotus Cars Community banner

1581 - 1600 of 1681 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just received my GARW today! Unfortunately I will be going out of town this weekend and then have a track weekend following that, so it will be a few weeks before I can install it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
anyone else get a black screen after update? If so do you have the software and instructions to fix that you could forward to me?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just received my IC7 and am very disappointed with quality controls. There are what look to be fingerprints on the underside of the screen (cannot be cleaned) and scrapes under the protective film.

Edit: I've contacted Garw and he was very responsive. We're working through getting a replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes, just let is sit wit doors closed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It sat all day yesterday and the night before with the door closed. when I open the door it flickers like its turning on then goes black screen. last night I even left the door open for 10 minutes while I worked on the engine.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That does not sound good. Mine did much of the same but only sat for 1 minute to remedy this.

The "flickers like its coming on" seems like a problem. Mine did go off and on before the final boot after flash but did come on. I'm not sure it matters but did you do increment updates or skip a version or two?

As far as a fix, I'm not sure he provides a bootloader? Normally, you have to re program with the right tool ( AVR-ISP or such (depends on his chip) ) but that is normally not something a manufacture gives out. My guess in this case is you would use ADB commands as it's like an Android OS of sorts I'm pretty sure but I caution against that unless you know this field. I think emailing him is best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That does not sound good. Mine did much of the same but only sat for 1 minute to remedy this.

The "flickers like its coming on" seems like a problem. Mine did go off and on before the final boot after flash but did come on. I'm not sure it matters but did you do increment updates or skip a version or two?

As far as a fix, I'm not sure he provides a bootloader? Normally, you have to re program with the right tool ( AVR-ISP or such (depends on his chip) ) but that is normally not something a manufacture gives out. My guess in this case is you would use ADB commands as it's like an Android OS of sorts I'm pretty sure but I caution against that unless you know this field. I think emailing him is best.
another user sent me instructions for changing perimeters for changing the directory. I'm pretty sure I need it going opposite. Luckily to get back up and running until alec gets around to responding I've got a second sd card with an older working version on it from when I first ran into issues. so I've got it in for now. but I think the issue is indeed from skipping versions. it changes to a new file structure in 3.6 and upward and I'm sure the 3.6 update was a critical one to do. car sat all winter so I didn't do updates and he doesn't have old versions accessible.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Has anybody figured out what makes the "Battery" appear on the screen when the ignition is off? If I wiggle the wires going into the dash, I can get it to appear and disappear. My guess is that I have a bad connection and I'm trying to figure out which wire.

Thanks,
Eldon

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Has anybody figured out what makes the "Battery" appear on the screen when the ignition is off? If I wiggle the wires going into the dash, I can get it to appear and disappear. My guess is that I have a bad connection and I'm trying to figure out which wire.

Thanks,
Eldon
Weird, definitely sounds like a bad connection somewhere though I am no help on which wire. For me the battery screen comes on when I open either driver or passenger door with no key in the ignition.

·
Registered
276 Posts
When the battery screen appears seems a bit randon on mine. It comes on when I turn off the ignition then open a door. However, if it's been sitting for awhile with the ignition off, it doesn't come on when I open a door.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'd vote for a loose or bad connection to the door. I bet Garw will help you over email.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Has anyone else had intermittent trouble with their display getting static and the certain parts like the (current speed) turning magenta? Kind of drives me nuts when it happens, which isn't every drive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I like the 3rd format for instrumentation display, but the RPM needle is so small and colored so similarly to the dial that I have a hard time finding it while driving. Anyone else have a similar reaction? Any solutions anyone has come up with? Also, I cannot see the fuel gauge without pulling myself up over the steering wheel, to clear the hub.

When my car starts, I always start at the first display format, and have to manually transition to the one that I prefer (the third). Is there a way to specify which display format to start out with?

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
I like the 3rd format for instrumentation display, but the RPM needle is so small and colored so similarly to the dial that I have a hard time finding it while driving. Anyone else have a similar reaction? Any solutions anyone has come up with? Also, I cannot see the fuel gauge without pulling myself up over the steering wheel, to clear the hub.

When my car starts, I always start at the first display format, and have to manually transition to the one that I prefer (the third). Is there a way to specify which display format to start out with?
Set your primary dash as the first dash in the list.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
330 Posts
Also, I cannot see the fuel gauge without pulling myself up over the steering wheel, to clear the hub.
Isn't the Vshift parameter supposed to move the whole display up or down to let you position it where "you" can see it.

Cheers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
@EddieA: you are correct, but by the time I can see the fuel gauge, I can no longer see any of the colored dots across the top of the screen. Better to lurch forward occasionally.

It would be sweet if there was a way to design a custom screen for GARW, but I imagine that would be quite challenging to implement.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It would be sweet if there was a way to design a custom screen for GARW, but I imagine that would be quite challenging to implement.
I was bouncing mails back and fro about providing the equivalent of an SDK to allow us to design our our screens. This was the last reply I received:

Code:
The software to create your own screen is falling into problems,  the balance between complexity and flexibility is hard.

What could be a lot easier in the meantime is to create a layered image file of all the graphics you want to use

Paint.net is free and easy, the pdn file format it saves will keep the separate layers in place

So any moving parts will naturally be on separate layers.

It's a quick job for me to transfer those layers into a usable screen.

It's the graphics that take the longest by far.
So, go for it and try.

Cheers.

1581 - 1600 of 1681 Posts