The Lotus Cars Community banner

1661 - 1680 of 1699 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I just got the newest IC7 dash. GARW sent me an email that the connection/loom that was included is defective and should not be used.
My question:
What is the least expensive method to returnship the defective wiring loom to GARW in the UK from San Diego, CA.

Thanks
Dang, I just got mine as well, but no email.

Shipping USPS Express Mail is the fastest and cheapest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm I just received mine and didn’t get an email about the harness. Are only some affected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I only know what I noted in my post above.
It could be that after they found the issue and then corrected it all the units shipped after that are fine.
That would seem reasonable but I don't have any way of knowing for sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got the newest IC7 dash. GARW sent me an email that the connection/loom that was included is defective and should not be used.
My question:
What is the least expensive method to returnship the defective wiring loom to GARW in the UK from San Diego, CA.

Thanks
I presume he will refund you the shipping cost? I'm surprised he wants it back. Would be cheaper for him to just send you a new one.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Does anyone have a current installation/owners manual? I can only find the v2 PDF, but the new cluster has 3 connectors (the third dedicated to sensors). I'm trying to connect oil pressure and temp...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,665
Version 4.45 software released

Main changes:

Redesigned menu system

new driving screens ( some experimental jet fighter inspired graphics )

screen upload function (via driving screens page) allow new screens to be added to the library without software update

Support for GarwIC7 V4 ( latest product version )

Ignition on welcome now configurable Blank/image/animation movie ( via startup settings page )

Ignition off screen now configurable Blank/Image/Battery animation ( via startup settings page)

Race 1 and Race 3 screens removed , Only Race2 available ( sorry if you will miss the Race1 screen ,needs to be changed to not look like 311)
Race1 and Race3 will be reintroduced after a redesign

Warning lamps in default positions at bottom of screen , visible at all times regardless of screen selected, igntion on or off

Fuel damping parameter added to Race 2 screen

Todo:

Debug first implementaion of IPS gear indicator , functionality added testing needed (no IPS cars in my region)
Add Race , Sport mode indicators to Race2 screen
Adjust position of some warning and tell tale indications
Update User manual to reflect changes to Software and hardware
Software update via Smart phone app
Screen upload via Smart phone app

Downloadable at bottom left of home page

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah, race 3 is what I exclusively use. :-( . Please bring something similar back. I prefer the numbers vs the bar graphs of the other screens.

I calibrated the fuel gauge in laters vs. %. Works well :) Would be nice to able to change it to laters in general settings.

I would be very nice if one could adjust the first number that is red. Currently 7 is marked red despite a 8xxx limit.

And I still don't how to control the three red lights visible in the above photo. What input do I have to connect to which item in the configuration? I want it as a check engine light which serves as a knock indicator in my (S1 Elise) car though the cat overheat input. Never got it to work.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Version 4.45 software released
Alec,

It is great that you are continuing to make upgrades to your product. What would be REALLY nice is if you would support the product that you have already sold. I have reached out to you several times regarding the issue that I am having with my unit. You rarely respond. If you really want to have a successful product, you need to put some focus on your customer support. I have tried to keep this out of the forums but I'm really tired of the lack of response.

I caution anyone thinking about purchasing one of these units to realize that customer support is almost non-existent. Myself and others have tried to have discussions with Alec about creating a US based sales and customer service program. If Alec reaches out to try and solve my issue then I will let you all know the results. In the mean time, I would not recommend his product due to the very poor customer support.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,672
Alec,

It is great that you are continuing to make upgrades to your product. What would be REALLY nice is if you would support the product that you have already sold. I have reached out to you several times regarding the issue that I am having with my unit. You rarely respond. If you really want to have a successful product, you need to put some focus on your customer support. I have tried to keep this out of the forums but I'm really tired of the lack of response.

I caution anyone thinking about purchasing one of these units to realize that customer support is almost non-existent. Myself and others have tried to have discussions with Alec about creating a US based sales and customer service program. If Alec reaches out to try and solve my issue then I will let you all know the results. In the mean time, I would not recommend his product due to the very poor customer support.

Later,
Eldon
Please send your support request to support @garw.co
I cannot connect forum names to email addresses so I cannot comment on your issue directly here , but it it has a fault it can be returned for repair foc,
we are working to reduce repair times , which are currently longer than anyone would like.

dashes over 2 years old are still out there working and supported by latest software updates
The software update released works with every version of the product out there, its fully backwards compatible

I can admit support drops to unacceptable levels during production runs, resource gets stretched.
Also bear in mind our [email protected] and [email protected] ends up in spam a lot, at a rate of 25%

The problem with creating a US based or any other continent based supply and support is the final price goes up,
margins are already small since its low volume manufacturing , if price goes up customers wont buy , if margins go down the product cant support itself
a lot of money has been spent on raising the quality of the product while trying to keep the price down

when we are up against the likes of AIM its not an easy call, they have released a very nice product which will probably end up as an option in new cars soon enough.

So our future in this game is not going to be easy , when price is our USP.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,673
Is there any difference in software version from the recently shipped units ?
Possibly

version 4 product was shipped with V4 software in Dec and Jan
A bug with setting the odometer was fixed after that
so current V4.45 has only been installed in recent deliveries

Go to system settings --->extra---->software to check your current version

it can be updated on the same page

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,674 (Edited)
yeah, race 3 is what I exclusively use. :-( . Please bring something similar back. I prefer the numbers vs the bar graphs of the other screens.

I calibrated the fuel gauge in laters vs. %. Works well :) Would be nice to able to change it to laters in general settings.

I would be very nice if one could adjust the first number that is red. Currently 7 is marked red despite a 8xxx limit.

And I still don't how to control the three red lights visible in the above photo. What input do I have to connect to which item in the configuration? I want it as a check engine light which serves as a knock indicator in my (S1 Elise) car though the cat overheat input. Never got it to work.
the warnings on the side are tied to their respective channels

hard wired in version 1 IC7, mapped via sw in version 2 and 3, removed in version 4

so depends on the dash version

·
Registered
7 Posts
the warnings on the side are tied to their respective channels

hard wired in version 1 IC7, mapped via sw in version 2 and 3, removed in version 4

so depends on the dash version
Hi Alec,
thanks for answering. I don't exactly know my version, but I can only assume it is version 2 or 3. How to find out?

-It was ordered in February 2018 within the german group buy.
-After a certain firmware update the warning lights on the side were remapped. Before they illuminated with the alternator or oil warning IIRC.

So can I get one of the side warnings to illuminate upon the catalyst overheat warning input (as on the S1 STACK dash)?
I use it as a knock indicator. I need this as I map myself.

How is the channel called?
What input do I have to configure to what channel? I mainly use race2 :)
I tried it already, but did not manage to get it work.

This is one of the last things I really want this dash to do. It would be a pity if I have to add an other LED myself somewhere behind the screen. All the Honda converted S1 Elise owners running Hondata or Doctronic ECUs would benefit, so a fair few.

Regards
Marko

·
Registered
335 Posts
A little earlier in the thread Alec details what is in the 4.45 version of the software, which I didn't install because I prefer the Race 1 screen.

I noticed on the Garw website that there's a newer version now available, 4.48. Can anyone (@garw ??) tell me the differences past 4.45 as the readme doesn't even list the 4.45 changes detailed above, which really would have p*ssed me off had I installed it only to discover what was removed.

An updated manual, with all the changes would also be nice.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put the IC7 back in this week and installed 4.45. Took me a few minutes to get around the new configuration. Looks nice. Out of curiosity I plugged in my USB endoscope and it worked right away :)

I also think I have identified the issue with the MIL/ABS light on in12 not working. It is an active low input, so likey runs an internal pull up. The original STACK dash expects 12V on this input to lighten the cat overheat warning LED.
As the Hondata/Doctronic ECU used an active low output, the conversion interface loom I have build contains an transistor as an inverter creating a +12V signal if the ECU pulls the MIL line to ground.
It seems I either need a pull down resistor after the transistor or that I have to remove the inverter all together.
In the latter case it would not be plug compatible with the STACK dash anymore. But that is not the end f the world.

I'll try 4.48 in a minute. Just downloaded it.

The V2 manual is an improvement as it now correctly assigns the pins to their input names on the diagnostic screen.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The V2 manual is an improvement as it now correctly assigns the pins to their input names on the diagnostic screen.
Yep, and it also changes the assignment for the oil pressure sensor.

But there are so many updates with 4.45/4.48 that I'd be wary of installing until I can see what they do. Especially as I'm not sure if you can downgrade.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My oil gauge and my oil indicator work the same in 4.45 as they did in 3.98.
It even took over all configurations from the sensors, scaling factors etc.
I just installed 4.48. Alec has removed the AFR indicator on race2 and move the text fields around.
if you scroll though your screens, now the camera view also shows up. This is nice as I won't need an other button.

These are the only difference I can spot. OK, the fuel gauge now shows 30 vs 40 earlier today.
I need to check this as he calibrations are still the same. I had a look.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
My oil gauge and my oil indicator work the same in 4.45 as they did in 3.98.
It even took over all configurations from the sensors, scaling factors etc.
I just installed 4.48. Alec has removed the AFR indicator on race2 and move the text fields around.
if you scroll though your screens, now the camera view also shows up. This is nice as I won't need an other button.

These are the only difference I can spot. OK, the fuel gauge now shows 30 vs 40 earlier today.
I need to check this as he calibrations are still the same. I had a look.
If the AFR indicator is removed from Race2, does it show up on any of the other screens?
Thanks,
Eldon

1661 - 1680 of 1699 Posts