The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
You say you got 60mm and 70mm?
The ones they offer with the black circuit back board are 60 and 80mm is that the size you got?
The white back board also don't show 70mm?
The only thing I see in a 70mm is the lens covers. :confused:
One other question did you use the Cool white, or Natural white?

My bust you didn't get the LED rings from superbrightLEDs.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You say you got 60mm and 70mm?
The ones they offer with the black circuit back board are 60 and 80mm is that the size you got?
The white back board also don't show 70mm?
The only thing I see in a 70mm is the lens covers. :confused:
One other question did you use the Cool white, or Natural white?

My bust you didn't get the LED rings from superbrightLEDs.
Exactly. I got them from eBay and a forum member here. They are specifically 60 & 70mms and the superbright covers fit perfectly.

I'll be tearing into these later this week or on the weekend. My Lot is a DD and I need the dry time for the silicone. Might do the DIY seal concealment from sands museum simultaneously.

·
Registered
256 Posts
60 & 70 mm halo rings seem to limit effective headlight output

I had ordered a set and installed it over a year ago. Learned, you can easily glue the kit to the headlight assembly, but you constrict the effective headlight (lo/hi beam) output, since both halo rings reduce the opening for both lights by over 1 centimeter. The inner diameter of the 60 mm halo ring is only 44 mm and the ID of the 70 mm ring is only 54 mm. If I were to redo the halo install, I would prefer a 70/80 mm OD combo. Yes, you would need to carefully cut out a few millimeters of the black plastic of the headlight assembly. The inner diameter of the 70/80 mm rings is approx. 54 mm and 64 mm, respectively, thus you avoid constricting the headlight beams. I any case, I would opt to add the clear plastic angel eye cover.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had ordered a set and installed it over a year ago. Learned, you can easily glue the kit to the headlight assembly, but you constrict the effective headlight (lo/hi beam) output, since both halo rings reduce the opening for both lights by over 1 centimeter. The inner diameter of the 60 mm halo ring is only 44 mm and the ID of the 70 mm ring is only 54 mm. If I were to redo the halo install, I would prefer a 70/80 mm OD combo. Yes, you would need to carefully cut out a few millimeters of the black plastic of the headlight assembly. The inner diameter of the 70/80 mm rings is approx. 54 mm and 64 mm, respectively, thus you avoid constricting the headlight beams. I any case, I would opt to add the clear plastic angel eye cover.
Thank you for the input. I am going to try making to covers shorter which shouldn't interfere with the light output. Even with the smaller diameter interior of the 60mm ring, from what I have seen it has a negligible effect on the beam. I'll post disassembly photos and some before and after projections to see if there is much of a difference. I'm thinking of replacing the headlights with a brighter or "cooler" light at the same time. I hear the Osram h7/1 are the way to go there. Anybody have experience with this?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Okay! So, parts are in and I pulled the headlights out. I just turned the wheel to access the headlight bolts. Removal is covered in this thread:
Lotus Elise Maintenance, Adjusting the Headlights

After that, it was cutting and using a pick to pry the plastic cover off. Wasn't easy, but it's done. Then I test fit the LED rings... They are smaller than the openings :/

Auto part Wheel Automotive tire Tire Automotive wheel system

Unfazed, I test fitted the covers and they make the rings fit perfectly!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

Now I just superglued the led rings to the angel eye covers every inch or so around the perimeter. I want this to be reversible if an LED goes.

Then I will black silicone them from behind and mount them back on the body!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
If you are doing this without the angel eye clear covers, I would definitely recommend an 80mm ring for the bottom and 70mm for the top. These would not have fit otherwise :facepalm

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.