The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious if someone knows the lowest ground clearance of the front and rear of the car and the distance between the front of the front tires to the furthest point on the nose and the back of the back tires to further point on the boot.

I know it's an odd request, but I'm trying to figure out how difficult it would be to get on on to a steep driveway.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
It has been gone over before. I forget the overhang dimensions. Clearance can be 4.5" to 5".

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I actually don't have a curb to worry about, just a steep incline from the street. I suppose I should just take some pictures when I get home.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Going in at an angle helps, but if you are asking, I am betting you can't drive the Elise onto the driveway. My take is if it looks doubtful, forget it.

When you own the car, you make this decision a lot when looking at gas stations, etc.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I have a sport package Elise with a ForcedFed splitter. My rule of thumb is, "If it looks like it might be too steep, it is". It's amazing how many business approaches are too sharp... not just residential curbs.

Make sure you take any you can at an angle to allow one suspension point to lift ahead of the other. That helps too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that is some terrible news. I had my heart set on it and things were starting to line up to a purchase. Seeing it in person it was clearly very low, but the nose and tail look so short that I didn't think it would be a huge problem. These shots will probably result in laughs then, but it's worth a shot:

As you can see, no real curb (that lip is less than 1" tall) but the driveway as a whole is quite steep and doesn't make the softest angle with the street (and it really couldn't do much better given the hill). Most cars cannot take it directly, but most don't have a problem taking it at an angle. Once again, it's usually long noses or tails that have problems. I have room to flair out and pave the sides and cut in to the hillside a little bit, but there will still be a grade and a turn up the hill. I've included a picture of my stock WRX resting on the approach (over dirt at the moment) that I assumed would be my best shot. With a little bit of moving the land and paving I could smooth it out a good deal more, but there would still be an incline at the end. I was really hoping to rent an Elise just so that I could bring it out and carefully line it up to see, but no one around here rents them. Anyway... fire away!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's an odd angle (the rear passenger tire is light on the ground), but the WRX is a longer (by over 30") than an Elise so it's difficult to envision how it will look.

Attachments

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
I'll bet there's some Lotus owner in your area who would come by to slowly check out your approach.

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts
Because of the width of the driveway I think you might be OK. If you can widen the entry points even a little and use up the full width of the drive to straighten up (following the red line) will also improve your chances :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Because of the width of the driveway I think you might be OK. If you can widen the entry points even a little and use up the full width of the drive to straighten up (following the red line) will also improve your chances :)
+1

I have no problem getting into and out of my driveway... it's pretty steep too:

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
The issue is really all about what happens in the first 24" or so. Your entrance looks pretty good to me.

His, I would only take at an extreme angle

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The issue is really all about what happens in the first 24" or so. Your entrance looks pretty good to me.

His, I would only take at an extreme angle
There is no question I would have to take an extreme angle, I just hope it is possible. I'm used to taking it at odd angles and would be fine with having to be a bit more careful and specific. I just went out and measured and if I groom and pave the flatter area shown with the Subaru on it, the driveway would be about 23' wide at the base (narrowing to about 16' over a length of 4') which should give a good amount of wiggle room to turn and climb if I could cleanly pull on to the driveway from that angle. I'll see if I can track down a local owner and find a way to bribe him to at least pull in close enough to figure this out. The upside is that I have a ton of room to turn around once I get up, so getting out shouldn't be any worse than getting in.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've gotten in and out of alot of very steep places similar to above, but it takes room to turn so if a vehicle is in the way I have to wait.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Simple solution. build a little garage into the hill at the bottom of your driveway !

·
Registered
425 Posts
Simple solution. build a little garage into the hill at the bottom of your driveway !
i second that.. you can build it off to the left.. can even go more extreem and put in a ramp type lift lol.. :nanner2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a soon to be Elise/Exige owner, this thread freaks me out. I have a curb at the bottom of my drive but figured if I installed curb ramps I should be fine. The rub (hopefully not literally) is my drive is also pretty steep, then levels off for the sidewalk, and then goes steep again. I may have to throw some pics on here and get some opinions. I've have a buddy that has a Viper and another with a Corvette but those cars have longer wheelbases and overhangs so I don't know how good of a representation they could give me.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
My Elise EASILY goes where my Viper GTS (2001) and 2008 Corvette Z06 and 2006 Gallardo (unless I press lift button) cannot go. I think the Elise is pretty ramp-friendly compared to other sports/exotics out there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts