The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around again recently. A 2000 Viper GTS w/ 21k miles sold recently at a dealer near me for $39,999.

That's the kind of thing that makes one say "hmm...."

PS - If it were yellow, I woulda bought it! ;)

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I know what you're saying. All these delays and the lack of good information and now the price has gone up (again). I REALLY want the Elise, but it's going to be right at the edge of my budget. Now I'm thinking about selling my Miata and getting a used Boxster S or a new Mazdaspeed MX-5 or S2000.
I understand that the Elise is better. It's just getting harder and harder to buy. I'm going to hang in there for now. I feel like I have to have this car. But when my wife finds out about this she's going to hit the roof.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
NMRJock said:
I know what you're saying. All these delays and the lack of good information and now the price has gone up (again).
I can relate. Plus, add the fact that I'm without a car for the next two to three months.

Worst case scenario, I'll get something else. Best case scenario, I won't get the StarShield. I was borderline on that anyway.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
NMRJock said:
I know what you're saying. All these delays and the lack of good information and now the price has gone up (again). I REALLY want the Elise, but it's going to be right at the edge of my budget. Now I'm thinking about selling my Miata and getting a used Boxster S or a new Mazdaspeed MX-5 or S2000.
I understand that the Elise is better. It's just getting harder and harder to buy. I'm going to hang in there for now. I feel like I have to have this car. But when my wife finds out about this she's going to hit the roof.
Just don't tell the Missus!:clap:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
master said:
It's still a TRUCK. Get the 111R
No, it only sounds like a truck and brakes like a truck. ;)

Seriously, about the price increase, after thinking about it, $995 is too bad. At least Lotus does not rape their customers like Porsche does.

For example, options on a C4S at Down town L.A. Porsche:

CPZ - Thicker Steering Wheel
Z0997 - Custom Tailoring
982 - Supple Leather Front and Rear
P16 - Porsche Communication Mgt. II
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
XLF - Sport Exhaust System
M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering
C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
342 - Heated Front Seats
Y29 - Aluminum/Chrome X71,X70,X54
XRC - 18" Sport Techno Wheel
P74 - Xenon Headlamp Package
692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Jeff,
Pay for one 25k service on a 348 you'd really have second thoughts, probably up to about $4-5000 now!! I had sticker shock when I put my 328 in for it's service and it was $3000 back in 92. Didn't keep the 348 long enough to do it on thankfully.

Haven't lived until you've priced spares for Ferraris, even aftermarket is high!
Chris

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Allan,
Porsche does offer a ridiculous amount of options, but most of these items aren't even available on the Elise. Lotus should eventually offer a lot of these little items and see if they can raise some more money.

- Lotus crest in the headrest
- alcantara options, extra cost interior colors
- carbon fiber parts, interior and exterior
- different style wheels
- sports exhausts, check
- cycle the lifestyle colors
- deviating carpets or stitching
- factory stripes on the paint
- fitted luggage
- cell phone holder
- larger cup holder attachment (some people will want it)
- motorsport accessories (brake kits, suspension kits, bushings, race shells, etc.)

Seems like the accessory catalogue has a lot of these items, but not yet for our Elise. Until then, the aftermarket may be filling the void.

The key word is eventually...

·
Registered
609 Posts
You're not helping you know...:)

zvezdah1 said:
...Pay for one 25k service on a 348 you'd really have second thoughts, probably up to about $4-5000 now!! ...
Aha! All the more reason to buy one that has just recently been through a major service...:) Ahem...

·
Registered
825 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: Re: Speak of the devil...:)

JeffersonRaley said:
Don't think I hadn't noticed your car for sale a few months ago. It has beentempting me ever since. But I'd be scared to track the 348, just as I was my old Esprit. Lotus will have to really p|ss me off before I jump ship (not that they aren't trying...)
Ah well, thought I'd give it a whirl. PM me if they ever succeed... ;)

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Vantage said:
Allan,
Porsche does offer a ridiculous amount of options, but most of these items aren't even available on the Elise.
Which is why I don't feel too bad about the price increase. From what I can see, Lotus' price increase is either due to changes in the monetary rate or related to an increase cost of additional production.

Unlike Porsche, Lotus is not bragging how much profit they make off of each Elise. My attitude to the price increase would be totally different if Lotus was claiming to be the most profitable car company and offering over-priced options like Porsche does. Offering options isn't bad. Milking your customers and then bragging how profitable you've become is a bit insulting.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Porsche was able to hedge against the dollar until 2007 with a deal they made last year with Goldman Sachs. This will place them in the 'financial' cat-bird seat for the next two years at least. I wonder
how they will reward the bean counter that suggested it?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Jeff,
Pay for one 25k service on a 348 you'd really have second thoughts, probably up to about $4-5000 now!! I had sticker shock when I put my 328 in for it's service and it was $3000 back in 92. Didn't keep the 348 long enough to do it on thankfully.

Haven't lived until you've priced spares for Ferraris, even aftermarket is high!
Chris
What's the old saying, one dollar per mile driven?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
No, it only sounds like a truck and brakes like a truck. ;)

Seriously, about the price increase, after thinking about it, $995 is too bad. At least Lotus does not rape their customers like Porsche does.

For example, options on a C4S at Down town L.A. Porsche:

CPZ - Thicker Steering Wheel
Z0997 - Custom Tailoring
982 - Supple Leather Front and Rear
P16 - Porsche Communication Mgt. II
XSC - Porsche Crest in Headrest
XLF - Sport Exhaust System
M6A - Black Mats - Porsche lettering
C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
680 - Bose High End Sound Package
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
342 - Heated Front Seats
Y29 - Aluminum/Chrome X71,X70,X54
XRC - 18" Sport Techno Wheel
P74 - Xenon Headlamp Package
692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
Perhaps, but options are optional, so I can control my cost. I've placed an order and Lotus wants and extra $1000, that's out of my control and not what I bargained for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts