The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have posted questions, looked for threads, and have finally decided to just drill into the side of my car and make the exige side ducts fit my 05' elise. People have said that the ducts would not fit, or that the clam is shaped completely different, but I believe that the process can be done. In fact, I am not even going to remove the current fins and will use them as a mounting point for my upper brackets. Please tell me if this is crazy and mechanically not sound. I figure 3 self tapping screws per screw mount should hold this thing together through any kind of vibration. But I only had a minor in mechanical engineering, so...

First, I purchased 2 exige side ducts, 2 mesh side duct grills, and 2 lower mounting brackets from lotusgarage.com . Lotus Garage - Body: Front & Rear Clamshells & Fixings, Exige
Specifically parts 8,9,21,22,10 and another 10.
Edit: See post #27 of this thread for the diagram

Chuck Risen, mentioned later, helped out and ordered the screws and washers that match the front access panels. Specifically six pieces of parts 5 and 6. Lotus Garage - Front Services Access Panels

Although they weren't delivered within a few days, ordered 2/12 and received on 2/22, I expected some delay on the parts and I was given order status from Lotus Garage. So :up: to Lotus Garage for clarity and a well packaged box of goodies. Those guys are hard to contact by their website's posted phone number. Email seems to work best.

Attached are pictures of the scoops using blue tape. I was trying to position them correctly before making the big plunge and driving self tapping screws into the clam. I don't have the mesh screens glued in yet. I am going to send the scoops, engine covers, ac, and console off to Chuck Risen once I get things lined up.

Edit: I will be using 1/4" nylon rivets to replace the self tapping screws for the lower bracket. The plastic rivet shown in the pic is to have its head grinded to a "D" shape to save space for the mesh. DO NOT USE SELF TAPPING SCREWS IN FIBERGLASS. Drill holes and uses rivets.

I tried to duplicate the single top bracket from the exige pictures that I have seen. I realized after 2 hours of forming, that individual upper brackets would be easier to align. Those took much less time and I found that both sides should be fabricated together.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
You are braver than I! :bow:

:up: Looking forward to the finished product pics...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Elise: My process of adding exige side scoops

Attached is the finished lower bracket, during and after install. The second picture shows how you have to slip the back part of the bracket under the fin, and it's finished install position.
Edit: I shaved the leading edge of the rivet head to a "D" shape to give more room for the mesh. The leading edge of the bracket is about 7/16th from edge.

3rd picture. Cut a 6" x 2" piece of carboard, press it along the inner scoop., and get your 1st bend point. Then take the other half, line it with the top of the new side duct and find your other bend point. Replicate with metal. Upper bracket was formed with a vise, rubber hammer, pliers, and my hands. Make both left and right hand pair of brackets at the same time for continuity. Form the whole shape first as a 4" piece then cut in half. 2" wide piece of metal, installed with 3 #8, 3/4", self tapping screws. Cut the lower part of the bracket, as needed, so a speed nut can fit over your hole.

You have to use blue tape to hold any bracket in place prior to making a hole. First tape up the bracket(s), briefly hold up side duct to check alignment, then drill screws through the tape and metal if all points align. Loosen screws to remove underlying tape.

Note, be very careful with self tapping screws. I predrilled smaller holes then only use a drill to screw until they start to move into the thread. After that, use a hand screwdriver to finish tightening.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of the scoops, but commend you for being resourceful and coming up with a custom solution. The finished product looks great.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Top bracket not too bad. Bottom bracket not so much. That is going to look really bad IMO viewing the car from a 3/4 angle especially with it blocking the fins.

I see the holes that you are trying to use but why not just cap those and mount the scoops from the edges to the clam? Are you going to mount a bracket for the 3rd hole in the rear of the scoop?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Top bracket not too bad. Bottom bracket not so much. That is going to look really bad IMO viewing the car from a 3/4 angle especially with it blocking the fins.

I see the holes that you are trying to use but why not just cap those and mount the scoops from the edges to the clam? Are you going to mount a bracket for the 3rd hole in the rear of the scoop?
I haven't finished the rear upper brackets. I'll start on my second attempt tomorrow. Tonight was more learning than progress. The fins will be behind the mesh and scoop so I don't think they should be visible. If the fins are an eyesore while being behind the mesh, then they will just have to be cut out. If you unbolt your exige scoops, and I really would like some high-res photos, you'll see that I mounted the lower bracket in the same location (approximate) as the factory lower bracket of the exige. Again, I believe the mesh will hide the fins and the lower bracket. Attached is my reference to the factory brackets for a lotus exige, from the Reverie carbon fiber install manual. http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/en/fitting/instructions/guides/exiges2inner&outerducts.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Stupid me.... forgot all about the mesh grill. Go with it.. should look nice.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sent my side ducts, center console, cig lighter cover, ac shroud, and engine covers to Chuck Risen today. There will be no more updates till I get everything back from Chuck. I am having everything painted Storm Ti, except for the engine covers, which will be Norfolk Mustard Yellow. Its the orangish yellow color on the badge. I have an idea of what it will look like, but I'll just have to see it when its installed. I can't wait to get these back from Chuck.

See Chuck's thread here http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47892 . Its under the Parts Market of the forum.

I guess its a good time to install the HID lights.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh yeah... the reflection. Thanks.

Anyway, I am still looking at a lot of different exige pictures and noticed that I mounted the lower bracket a few millimeters forward than the exige. There appears to be a small space in front of the mesh grill in this lotuscars.com photo.
I noted in one of the pictures that the tab keeps the mesh flush with the door, but may be wrong. This is odd because the back end lined up, and this is probably because I am keeping the trim. I don't think my color mismatched trim will detract from the look too much.

I am curious as to how I will make a tight interior seal on the duct. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Sorry I have not posted in a bit here. I have some stupid virus that has kept me from doing much of anything all of this week. I only get sick every couple of years or so but when I do I am usually dead to the world for a while.
I have some fasteners here that I was planning on trying that look like they will match the Exige OEM ones. If there is enough interest in this a mold can be made of the final design which would lower the cost of the OEM side scoops. I could also make a fiberglass upper bracket and use the same type of clips as in the OEM version which could eliminated the need for the fins and the rubber molding.
So far Whiskey has done a great job and I plan to help him finish everything up in any way I can. I am sure when it is done it will look great.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
first painted fitting

Luckily I was able to catch the FedEx driver today at 8:15 AM to get the parts from Chuck Risen. I missed the delivery by 5 minutes on Saturday and had to wait till Tuesday before they would return.

Opened the well packaged box, and to my surprise the color and quality of Chuck's work that everyone has been talking about is no BS.

I believe he nailed the color that I wanted for the engine covers. I thought they might be off color when I saw them on his post on the forum, but when I viewed them in person, they were spot on. Norfolk Mustard is a funky color to catch on camera. Its supposed to be Lotus's color for their emblem but if you look around your car you will see that the front emblem, wheel caps, and steering wheel badge all are a bit different shades of the yellow almost light orange on the wheels. The dip-stick and other parts of the engine bay have the color so I wanted something that would match. I believe it does the car justice. By the way, the detail in the emblem and lettering is a lot better than pictures indicate. Very precise.

The interior bits and side scoops match Storm Ti. as well. He really cleaned up the tiny little nicks that were on the scoops and the finish looks CLEAN. I also want to thank him for helping me with sourcing washers and bolts for the scoops.
THANK YOU CHUCK!
Here's his link under Parts Market again.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47892

I need to cut into the passenger side tonight to finish that side of the "scoop project". Until I am finished, here are some pics of the engine covers and the scoops' first painted fitting. There is some wiggle room on the scoops' exact placement before I stick the mesh and pull the screws tight. More description on that procedure later.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I am going to have to rethink the form of the rear brackets for the side scoops, so no final install pics tonight. I want to make sure the rear bracket can really hold that duct in place.

At least I finished the interior and engine covers tonight. See my above post for updated pictures. The wires on the ac control and the hazard lights on the center console were a pain to connect. My hand size doesn't allow them to fit in those small spaces too well. Plus, I forgot the center console installation puzzle sequence.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Wow looks great. Seems like a lot of work though. I just went with the CF ReVerie intakes, as I don't like the flat look of the Exige scoop as opposed to the curved of mine, and I don't like the exposed bolts of the Exige scoops.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts