The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received new left and right coolers which are supposed to be OEM. There is no place to put a backup wrench on these. Has any one else come across this cooler? The weld on the new cooler does appear to be bulkier than on the OEM cooler its replacing. Perhaps a heavy duty weld negates the use of a backup wrench? I don't know but I'm wondering if these are OEM. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Brad

Attachments

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I got this exact unit from Sector 111 when I replaced my oil cooler. I had the same thought. I was able to crank down on those fittings with no problems. The fittings do seem to be very strong.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...these are from sector 111 also. Makes me feel better knowing it is possible to tighten with out a backup wrench.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I haven't pulled the lines apart on my car yet, but that is a flared JIC fitting (37*) it looks like?

If so, they require minimal tightening to seal properly so there is no reason at all for needing a wrench to hold the fitting.
Finger tight and at most 1/4 turn with a wrench.... just making it "snug" If you overtighten, it will deform the fitting and it will be much more prone to leaking.

This is info from my Dad who has almost 30 years of experience working on machinery and hydraulic systems for a multi-million dollar company.. (started there in 1983).

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
absolutely - overtightening is BAD. It looks like you can see the flare in the pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts