The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
13,485 Posts
Any paint manufacturer ought to have products that will replicate OEM perfectly. Are you looking for manufacturer for authenticity? Or are you trying to touch up?

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
I know Lotus used Cromax (not sure what year they started with it) and later Cromax Pro (introduced on Lotus cars in May 2010). I believe Cromax was originally part of Dupont and later became part of Axalta Coating Systems.

Of note, "Cromax Pro, which is an activated water based coat, was introduced for specific paint colours in May 2010 as a running change and can be identified by the letter ‘C’ prefix on the paint code, whereas the previous standard Cromax paint was identified with a ‘B’ prefix.

The difference between the standard Cromax and the Cromax Pro is the finished appearance, i.e. the metallic effect of the Cromax Pro system is now applied to the base coat with a standard clear coat, whereas the previous Cromax system the finished effect was achieved through a tinted clear coat over a solid base coat.

The finished appearance for the same colour may vary between the two paint systems, therefore it is essential the correct paint system is used when carrying out paint repairs."

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know Lotus used Cromax (not sure what year they started with it) and later Cromax Pro (introduced on Lotus cars in May 2010). I believe Cromax was originally part of Dupont and later became part of Axalta Coating Systems.

Of note, "Cromax Pro, which is an activated water based coat, was introduced for specific paint colours in May 2010 as a running change and can be identified by the letter ‘C’ prefix on the paint code, whereas the previous standard Cromax paint was identified with a ‘B’ prefix.

The difference between the standard Cromax and the Cromax Pro is the finished appearance, i.e. the metallic effect of the Cromax Pro system is now applied to the base coat with a standard clear coat, whereas the previous Cromax system the finished effect was achieved through a tinted clear coat over a solid base coat.

The finished appearance for the same colour may vary between the two paint systems, therefore it is essential the correct paint system is used when carrying out paint repairs."
Never heard of Cromax, very interesting. As I have a 'B' prefix code it must be a standard Cromax system, will have to research it. Thx.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Never heard of Cromax, very interesting. As I have a 'B' prefix code it must be a standard Cromax system, will have to research it. Thx.
What 2011 Chrome said, Axalta carries Cromax and the higher end Standox both out Germany, just sprayed my rear wing (not on the car yet) with Standux base and Cromax clear, love the way it lays out, matter a fact I'm dumping PPG!

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Pictures?
Soon, I prayed Lotus on it, the letters fill in Nightfall blue and silver outline, waiting to borrow a spray booth to re clear, want that see through depth on the carbon, hoping to be done and install next Saturday! ;)
EDIT: Here's a hint with the silver down and stencil overlay, had to stretch the L since it visually looked short, and yes, didn't have line tape lol

Sleeve Font Rectangle Brick Brickwork

1 - 8 of 8 Posts