The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a funny video of diy oil change on elise but cant find it here anymore. it recommended using diesel oil which I thought was strange. also told how much oil to start with before checking dipstick to make sure don't overfill
thanks

·
Registered
903 Posts
haha I forgot qu1Z made that - I also like how he blurred his plate in one clip but not in the rest.

it's not necessarily "diesel oil" but rather what it says on the jug. It's 5w40 oil and diesel trucks usually call for a thicker oil

The part before the W (which means winter) refers to how viscous the oil is at low temperatures and the second part refers to how viscous the oil can be at higher temps. SELOC has a pretty good writeup on it: Oil Labelling Explained - TechWiki

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, I'm guessing that the type of oil being used in the video is actually what's going into the engine, and not just a joke?

As long as it's Synthetic 5w-40, that's all that matters, right?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Damn... I've been using a brown bucket to drain the oil into... but the video says I have to use black. I've been doing it wrong all along! :'(

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
So, I'm guessing that the type of oil being used in the video is actually what's going into the engine, and not just a joke?

As long as it's Synthetic 5w-40, that's all that matters, right?
Nope, not a joke. The Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel truck oil has a high level of ZDDP, which is good for our engines as it helps to prevent against spun rod bearings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts