The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, it's a hypothetical quesition, since the M250 was stillborn. But....

If Lotus offered a M250 that had:

1) 250-275hp;
2) weighted 2,500 lbs;
3) priced from $45K to $55K (optioned); and
4) about the same size as a Porsche Boxster,
5) and look something like this:

then would you choose a M250 over the current Elise?

My thoughts are if I were looking for a track/weekend car, an Elise w/o the touring package and with the sport suspension would be the way to go. If I needed something to drive to work more than once a week, then the M250 would be the way to go.

I'm just trying to get an idea if there really is a market for the M250. I'm hoping Lotus will introduce it between the Elise and a eight cyclinder turbo charged Esprit...and just foregoing a lightweight SUV altogether. :)

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
The Elise is the true sports car and between the 2, my choice. However, If Lotus were to bring out a 4 seater (spiritual sucessor to the Elite/Excel/Eclat), I'll be first in line at my dealer (again). I wouldn't choose it over the Elise but I would definitely buy one.

·
Registered
485 Posts
tough hypothetical choice. if it could hang close with the elise in terms of performance, i think i might go with the m250. seems like it might be a little more practical.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
definitely the Elise.

That car wouldn't offer much more than a Boxster S or S2000 offers now and would most probably not meet the reliability of the Honda or Porsche. If I were in the market for something just to replace my S2000 i would consider it, but can't a great reason to make the trade.

The Elise however is completely unique. There is nothing else that really competes with it. It is exactly what i love in a car.

-Steve

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I think it's bound to offer a lot more over the Boxster S. For similar money, you get a lighter but similarly powered car, that should outperform it at the track. It will also give the driver feedback and intamacy, like an large Elise, yet still be nearly as practical as the Boxster S.

And those doors would ne neat, if they made it to the production car.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Vantage said:
I think it's bound to offer a lot more over the Boxster S. For similar money, you get a lighter but similarly powered car, that should outperform it at the track. It will also give the driver feedback and intamacy, like an large Elise, yet still be nearly as practical as the Boxster S.

And those doors would ne neat, if they made it to the production car.
it would definitely offer more but my basic point is that i LOVE my S2000. It is taking a super unique car like the Elise for me to give it up. The M250 is just not enough of an improvement for me to consider the switch.

-Steve

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The Elise has a removable roof (hood).:D

The M250 didn't...:(

The Elise it is...:cool:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
751 Posts
I love the cleaner styling of the M250, but I would expect it to be in the price range of $60-70 thousand - not 55-60. Those numbers would steal buyers from the Elise. Since I do not have the cash for the M250, I would get an Elise even if the M250 was offered. I would have to see them side by side in person to decide which I liked better though. Yeah, the Elise has the targa top, so that is a big plus. However, those Lambo style doors are pretty badass... Think there is any way we could mod the Elise to have lambo doors? Doesnt seem likely - I saw how the doors are hinged. Its pretty thin aluminum. Maybe I am wrong and it could be done though.

-Whit

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Whit,

historically as Lotuses get older, their doors have a tendency to sag. I can't imagine that even lighter, thinner hinges could be a good thing. Love to see it, but doubt it could be done in a way that would last. BTW, as an aside for those of you who don't already know, don't slam the doors closed on your Elise.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tim, what if the M250 came in both a coupe and full fledge convertible? Hypothetically speaking of course. :)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Tim, what if the M250 came in both a coupe and full fledge convertible? Hypothetically speaking of course. :)
I'll already have the Elise by then, and I'll be satisfied...;)

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Elise.

I want a sports car. If I wanted a family car I'ld get something more family-ish. The M250 is going to be a great car but will end up having some compromises to make the 2+2 thing work (it's a 2+2 isn't it?). I don't want compromises, at least not at this point in my life. If I had a family etc etc then things might be different.

Plus I barely have enough $$ for the Elise. ;)

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
I had thought the M250 would be my first Lotus. Too bad it did not come to fruition.

If I could choose between the two - the Elise would win my affection - no contest.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm looking for the ultimate track car so the Elise wins hands down. Besides, I expect to have a 250-270HP Elise in a 2 yrs anway.:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
M250

I had an M250 on order back in UK for 2 yrs before they finally cancelled the project and gave us all our 2K back. I had a 111S at the time a choose to order it as it was a much more practical car and but also more money. They are very different cars in differnet price ranges and cannot really be compared. The M250 was benchmarked against the TVR Tuscan and Boxster S.
In UK the 111s was around 25K with the M250 being around 45K, but it is a much larger car giving more cabin space and much more power 250 against 143. I would get a M250 over the elise anytime.
Also as I recall it was never going to be a 2+2.
But for real power I wish they would bring over the TVR Tuscan Speed 6!!

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Some might have misunderstood my previous postings. The M250 was a 2 seater . What I was saying was that I would personally prefer a 4 place car in the mid range of Lotus' lineup (like the Excel). Of course I have 5 children and a wife and therefore my views may be quite different than others of you without the children. A convertible M250, even as a 2 place car, is a very interesting prospect. I believe, although I could be wrong, that just such an option was being evaluated at one point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts