The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many have scratched the bottom while driving through an incline? What was the incline (drive way, rain gutter, speed bump, etc.)? And, how bad was the damage? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I scrape on my driveway. There are now several streaks of yellow paint on the driveway 2' in from the gutter. On the underneith of the nose you can see an exposed bit of white. I've put down boards to raise the gutter which seemed to be working but I still hit on my way home today.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I have never hit on a speed bump, but I take them very slow.

I have hit on entry or exit inclines about 6 times now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It is a must with this car to take inclines on an angle. My driveway is bad but I use a 45 degree angle and have not hit yet.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I havent hit, but I noticed that if I am driving slow and going up a small incline, their is sometimes a "squeeky toy noise" that comes from the front end. Is it the strut bushings? I remember soemone else posted about it once before too.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've scraped mine on a raised manhole cover after transitioning from a fully paved road to one without the final top surface. Also on a concrete parking block after leaving the car in gear and pushing the starter button :eek: I'm still waiting for those Elise skid plates. Anyone had an update recently ?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
biobaggie said:
Also on a concrete parking block after leaving the car in gear and pushing the starter button
Really? You can do that? I remember someone mentioning there was no clutch interlock switch on the starter, so I guess it would follow..

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
You can. I purposely put the clutch in. I don't want to develop a habit I will later regret.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
For those who didn't see my post a couple of months back, do NOT use the Lotus front license plate bracket, without modding it. When mounted where Lotus says to mount it, it sticks down lower than the front skirt, and scrapes every speed bump, etc. The plate gets bent, and it can easily strip the screws from the bracket right out of the mount.

I used a piece of Lexan to raise the Lotus bracket a couple of inches, so now it doesn't stick down below the skirt.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I tossed my front bracket. We don't have front plates in PA, and after we move, I STILL won't use the front plate, even if it's the law. I'll take the ticket, thank you.

On scrapes-I have learned where in my life these hazards are and haven't scraped in months. I used touch up perfectly matched spray paint to get the scrapes back to BRP. Not as elegant as Randy's repair, but it got the job done and the front looks nice. Now if I can just get the car back from Rothrock....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I have never hit on a speed bump, but I take them very slow.

I have hit on entry or exit inclines about 6 times now.
Hey Randy, are you referring to the speed bumps found in parking lots vs the speed humps found on certain streets??

I hope the car can handle humps, since our charming subdivision chose to install 8 of them back in 1989. They are more gentle and much wider than bumps, and theoretically designed to allow cars to travel over them at 25 mph without problems. But they probably didn't anticipate the low-slung Elise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts