The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the officer write up the ticket from a far. He circled the car at least 10 times before he figured out what he thought it was! haha

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Forgot the name, look at the damn penmanship.

Honestly, by looking at it, I would think a 6 year old child wrote that.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Not enforceable at all, unless you frequent the campus. Since most college campuses are impossible to park on without a permit (and not much easier with a permit), the odds of being ticketed again are pretty high. At some point they'll see a bunch of unpaids in the system and tow you.

If you never plan on going back, just throw the ticket away.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A friend of mine was threatened with license suspension for two unpaid parking tickets at Maryland. Doesn't sound like fun :[
You could always try to fight it and be all "that isn't my car. I don't drive an Eclipse."

·
Ticket Magnet
1,055 Posts
I think the premise is that if the officer issuing the citation couldn't get a basic fact correct, the issue of determining the violation parameters could be incorrect as well. Because some of the verifiable facts have been determined to be incorrect it is indeterminate if the others are or are not, as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
lawyer can have a field day with that and get it dismissed in a heartbeat.
I think the premise is that if the officer issuing the citation couldn't get a basic fact correct, the issue of determining the violation parameters could be incorrect as well. Because some of the verifiable facts have been determined to be incorrect it is indeterminate if the others are or are not, as well.
Why waste lawyer time with a parking ticket? The cost of the ticket is likely to be equal to about 30seconds worth of legal discussion. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
572 Posts
I pay $25 a month to my law firm and that allows me to contact them anytime for advice, even after hours in case of an emergency, and they will also send letters/phone calls on my behalf for no additional charge. When I get in a situation that requires court time I get their services at a discount.
I've actually had them send a letter over a similar parking violation, never heard a word out of the campus police again!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Don't know about the university rules, but I've had tickets dismissed for things like this the verbage is particular, and escaping me... but it can be dismissed.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I think there is some similarity between the Lotus Elise and the Mitsubishi Eclipse. I can understand the confusion.

My guess is that if the plate is correct and the brand is correct that should make the ticket valid. But that is just a guess.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It does depend on jurisdiction for exact laws but in general if the ticket is incorrect in any way it is invalid. Think of it as any other legal contract, if there is an error or a breach of terms the entire contract is invalid, not just pick and choose what parts you want to follow.

When I fought a parking ticket in DC the opening statement by the hearing official was "It is the burden of the DCPD to provide you with an accurate and legible citation" and went on to say that this was one of the few legally valid excuses he would accept. I argued on the case that it was handicapped but the handicapped symbol was 100% eroded away and I had pictures to show this. He simply said "I can't read the make of your car, what kind of car do you have?" "A Lotus sir." "Ah, that's what it is, dismissed because the citation is illegible."

While different jurisdictions have different specifics in general an incorrect ticket is legally invalid and it is most certainly a valid argument against any ticket, especially a campus police one. Unfortunately campus police might not be so keen to adhere to the letter of the law and might be on a bit of a power trip. While I'm sure there are plenty of departments that will say "whatever, it's your car, the ticket stands." Virtually none of them are legally backed when they do so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts