The Lotus Cars Community banner

1181 - 1200 of 1233 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
Is it possible to swap the new open shift linkage center console from the newer cars into our older cars? I'm surprised I haven't seen this done...
I believe it is. I've seen the open console used with the ShiftR111 before. But between the shifter and console, you're in it for probably about $3k. The new shift mechanism is separate from the e-brake so you have to buy the new parts separately. It's all in the DeRoure catalog.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Is that factory or custom? I don’t remember seeing that when I saw your car. That’s pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He may have made it himself, but many years ago someone was selling them on the forum. I've had one for at least 6 years I think. Haven't installed it yet since I want to wrap it with red leather to match the stock red leather I have. However, a few local shops said matching existing leather hard so I need to put some thought into what to wrap it with to compliment in the interior.

·
Registered
967 Posts
many years ago someone was selling them on the forum. I've had one for at least 6 years I think. Haven't installed it yet since I want to wrap it with red leather to match the stock red leather I have.
This may be one of those. It's definitely hand made (from a plastic super hero cup, no less).

·
Registered
308 Posts
At work this morning wedged between friends :)
Love your Lotus, but that Cayman is just a beautiful design, simple and clean. Thinking about it now, that would be a nice stable mate to the Elise. :drool:

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
Love your Lotus, but that Cayman is just a beautiful design, simple and clean. Thinking about it now, that would be a nice stable mate to the Elise. :drool:
I could go into a dissertation on the 987. It's a sublime chassis. Extreme well balanced (neutral) and easy to drive right up to the limit on a track. So easy to maintain yaw with the throttle that it makes you look like a hero.

It's also extremely normal to drive when just doing commuting duties. There's no sense of occasion and really very little excitement. In other words, it's not really much fun if you're not going fast. It's also the tail end of the big cost cutting effort that was the 968/996 so if you are getting a 987.1, you're getting a seriously flawed engine that wasn't fixed until the 987.2. Plus, it's big.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's also extremely normal to drive when just doing commuting duties. There's no sense of occasion and really very little excitement. In other words, it's not really much fun if you're not going fast.
Very well put. I sold my E46M3 for this very reason and was considering a 987 as a replacement. I'm very happy with my Elise :grin2:

·
Less is Better
2,378 Posts
Very well put. I sold my E46M3 for this very reason and was considering a 987 as a replacement. I'm very happy with my Elise :grin2:
In my experience, the key to a car being fun ALL the time is light weight. Under somewhere around 2400 pounds, cars just seem to come to life. The Elise is the poster child for this, but I've found this in Miatas, 1st gen Rx-7s, pre-90s Porsches, early Integras, MR2s, heck, even a 90's Corolla has it to some degree. This makes cars flickable, chuckable, responsive, communicative.

It's sad to me that these cars are all old. You'll never find a light weight sedan again and only some very niche sports cars exist.

1181 - 1200 of 1233 Posts