The Lotus Cars Community banner
1701 - 1720 of 1726 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
my Elise Motorsport project:
It's been a while since I visited this site, so this is a re-introduction, first pic is of my Lotus cars, (V6 Exige has now sold) Black Elise S1 11S bought as a replacement, which I actually prefer driving. Finally my long build project is almost complete, the Motorsport Elise project which started off as a standard S1 Elise and has been rebuild completely with a 20v Audi Turbo engine, rebuilt with 500bhp. A few extra pics of this one....

this is a chargecooled Audi 20v Turbo (Garrett G25-550)

·
Administrator
9,205 Posts
my Elise Motorsport project:
It's been a while since I visited this site, so this is a re-introduction, first pic is of my Lotus cars, (V6 Exige has now sold) Black Elise S1 11S bought as a replacement, which I actually prefer driving. Finally my long build project is almost complete, the Motorsport Elise project which started off as a standard S1 Elise and has been rebuild completely with a 20v Audi Turbo engine, rebuilt with 500bhp. A few extra pics of this one....

this is a chargecooled Audi 20v Turbo (Garrett G25-550)

Wow super clean install there! Beautiful work! I still can't get over the trailers and wheel sizes used over there vs here in US. Then again you might not be towing at 80mph

·
Administrator
9,205 Posts
thanks, re: towing at 80mph!! not with my little Mazda CX3
Yeah just a little mismatched. I had a open 12' utility trailer and recently moved to a 20' enclosed. Our CX-5 wouldn't touch it, that's F250's job.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@Benji would love to hear more of your thoughts on the Exige V6 versus the Elise S1!

I have owned several Lotus cars over the years, inc a 1970 Elan S4. I bought the Exige S (V6) new in 2015 and enjoyed 5 years driving it, It is a very fast car with the stock 350 bhp. It feels more planted and gives a smoother drive.
However, I bought the S1 Elise in June 2020 and really love how it drives. It’s not fast, but it’s just so light (750kgs) compared to the V6’s (1150kgs).
It’s much cheaper to run, nimble, smaller, prettier and I just prefer it.
chiarov, have you driven both?

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,818 Posts
@Benji unfortunately neither the S1 nor the Exige V6 are available where I live (United States). There were a few of each imported, but they are not common by any means. So appreciating them both from afar I was curious what you thought and how they compared -- especially being so different from each other.

However, I do feel that as I've gotten older, I appreciate my Elise (S2 federal / toyota) more and more, especially for what it is and not what it isn't. I also have a project Exige that has much more HP but I think the Elise is more fun overall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@Benji unfortunately neither the S1 nor the Exige V6 are available where I live (United States). There were a few of each imported, but they are not common by any means. So appreciating them both from afar I was curious what you thought and how they compared -- especially being so different from each other.

However, I do feel that as I've gotten older, I appreciate my Elise (S2 federal / toyota) more and more, especially for what it is and not what it isn't. I also have a project Exige that has much more HP but I think the Elise is more fun overall.
It's a shame that S1's and V6 Exige's haven't been allowed, although I'm aware that the early S1's that are over 25 years old can now leaglly be imported to US and used on the road.

Interesting that you feel similalrly to me about preferring lower power Elise to Exige. There are growing numbers of us who believe this.

Do you have some pics of you cars, I'd like to hear more about your Exige project as I'm almost completing mine.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
960 Posts
Packed up for the winter, but was warm enough to install a trailer hitch on my mazda.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

1701 - 1720 of 1726 Posts