The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the crap is hitting the fan as far as the Dollar goes. The current exchange rate is $1.90 to 1 Pound Sterling.
I just don't see how Lotus will be able to sell these cars at the current base price for very long.

Consider the following:

At the current exchange rate the Euro 111R that has a base price of £31K would sell for $58k. Now consider this, the US car’s base price is $39,985 that is only £20,792.2. That means the US car is by far the cheapest Elise available anywhere.

It just doesn’t make sense for them to sell at this ultra low price long term without a price increase. I know many people would not pay more for this car, but I also know many people would. This news may suck but it is beyond our control.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
As has been pointed out numerous times before, the UK price (about 30KGBP with Air con and metalic paint) includes VAT (Sales Tax) of 17.5%.

If you back that out, the car costs 25.5GBP, or about $48.5k.

Still a significant difference, but lotus must do all it can to hold it. After all, it doesn't want a repeat of the Elan fiasco.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Lotus realizes if the price goes over the 40k area, they'll have to reevaluate things, ie, reduce the number of cars produced in anticipation of decreased sales.

You can be if any way they can do it, they won't increase the price. But I suspect if no improvement in the $$$ you might see an increase first of the year.

Chris

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
I gotta say I'm really starting to get get discouraged about this car. We first had too worry about dealer gouging, insurance, and now we have too even worry about the MSRP. WTF, you would think I was getting a freaking Lambo or something. I don't know where this will be going before the car would end up in my garage but my Turbo Miata is looking like the best bang for my buck by far. I would even bet to say the Elise may not even be a faster track car...... Uhg!....I need a beer.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
1FAST,
I wouldn't sweat, lot of time between now and the rest of the year. Even if their's a price increase, I don't think it'd be more than a grand or two.

Besides, you can always back out before you commit if the price did turn you off.

Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
One other thing, the EU does recognize the problem with how lopsided the currency has gotten. I spent some time there last week to see family and it was interesting listening to small time merchants complain of the cheap dollar; On how it had hurt their business by not exporting or selling to US customers (both tourists and direct shipping.) I think that once our economy stabilizes and once the election is over and the fed raise the interest rate (which has been one big factor in the dollars fall, granted it's done to keep the US export sector going) the dollar should come back with a fury. So perhaps by the time the 06's hit the streets Lotus shouldn't be hurting due to the exchange rate.

·
Registered
637 Posts
babak said:
One other thing, the EU does recognize the problem with how lopsided the currency has gotten. I spent some time there last week to see family and it was interesting listening to small time merchants complain of the cheap dollar; On how it had hurt their business by not exporting or selling to US customers (both tourists and direct shipping.) I think that once our economy stabilizes and once the election is over and the fed raise the interest rate (which has been one big factor in the dollars fall, granted it's done to keep the US export sector going) the dollar should come back with a fury. So perhaps by the time the 06's hit the streets Lotus shouldn't be hurting due to the exchange rate.
Hm... Presumably that would mean I'd make some money on the US stock market too.... (when the rate ges from $1.90/£1 back to about £1.50/£ I'd make about 22%)... been wondering whether to buy any more stock recently... Hmmmm...........

Craigy

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Craigy said:
Hm... Presumably that would mean I'd make some money on the US stock market too.... (when the rate ges from $1.90/£1 back to about £1.50/£ I'd make about 22%)... been wondering whether to buy any more stock recently... Hmmmm...........

Craigy
Not a bad idea. The dollar will stay weak for some time so don't think about making a quick buck. Frankly foreign investment into the US has allowed us to spend money we don't have. We'll need to fix our deficit and current account balance problems first. This is not going to happen overnight. Rest assured that our dollar will come back since we are one of the most resourceful/hard working countries in the world.

Yours is a safe long-term bet. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts