The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you've heard of Doug Demuro and you are on this message board, you've probably also heard about his theory that Elises just cost $30,000, regardless. It does ring true, at least to me, I think these cars bottomed out 5-8 years ago (discuss!) and are slowly going up. Basically there is no other car like this currently available. The converse of that is that this is a car that appeals to a pretty small subset of people.

I have an Elise for sale, and I looked at a bunch of ads and came up with this spreadsheet:

Elise pricing sheet

Which I now open to anybody to play with, feel free to add your own column if your preferences are different that mine (probably)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for posting! Would you say "Replaced engine with normal 2ZZ-GE engine after original engine broke" would be the same as "Engine Swap"?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Matches my mental checklist fairly close..
but I think there is some bonus..(not sure what amount) if a car is stock...or very close. Many are not sure of the quality or execution of modifications..

·
Registered
108 Posts
I don't think this is the type of car where people really want unmodified examples. Maybe for folks unfamiliar with the Lotus aftermarket. Or maybe for a collectible S260. But completely unmodified to me says "deferred maintenance"

·
Registered
29 Posts
So if you've heard of Doug Demuro and you are on this message board, you've probably also heard about his theory that Elises just cost $30,000, regardless. It does ring true, at least to me, I think these cars bottomed out 5-8 years ago (discuss!) and are slowly going up. Basically there is no other car like this currently available. The converse of that is that this is a car that appeals to a pretty small subset of people.

I have an Elise for sale, and I looked at a bunch of ads and came up with this spreadsheet:

Elise pricing sheet

Which I now open to anybody to play with, feel free to add your own column if your preferences are different that mine (probably)

What's rare color for Elise?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
283 Posts
I really see the difference in salvage vs clean a lot less than 6k as marked, typically 3-4k if that. Wirewheels if im correct markets their salvages at around 29k and their clean ones around 32k Private sales however may tend to go a bit lower than that, but in this market its extremely hard to figure out due to corona as clean title good mileage vehicles are selling for 28k,

Reactions: DAaaMan64

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I think I made the spreadsheet editable by everybody, let me know if you can't add a column.

I was thinking engine swap, being to something other than a 2ZZ-GE, like a honda, etc. That is a big change and would rule out the car for me, wanting a CA smog legal car. (I can remember LA smog in the 70's, so I can live with the CARB rules.)

A rare color is the one that you really want! I was keeping my eye out for a laser blue hard top to add to my car, and never saw one.

A big problem with pricing modifications is that the world of desired mods is very large, and I think it is a rare car that hits the sweet spot for You. Some people care about appearance mods, some performance mods, a subset want performance mods that meet some racing organization rules. I think the best payback would be for reliability mods.

Tad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts