The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a co-owner of a Performance company that has just opened in the Ottawa area. We are looking for an 05-06 Elise for our project.

What we are doing is:

1. Dyno the stock car
2. Add our header, intake high flow exhaust
3. Dyno for results
4. ECU upgrade
5. Dyno for results

There will be a cost involved but we will be doing this for less than half the retail price. If there is anyone that is interested please PM me.

-Brent

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It worked on our Mitsubishi project. We know there will gains question is how much.........

We took a stock Ralliart (did not have the EVO at the time in Canada) and dynoed it at 138WHP on a Mustang Dyno. After our bolt on mods we put down 169WHP.....we actually had to do some engineering to get this result. We plan to do the same with the Elise although we know results wont be the same.

Just like the Mitsu project we are looking for a customer that is going to do these mods anyways so here is a chance to get it a discounted rate.

hmmmm....

Have fun trying. I doubt anyone will pay you to do unproven modifications to their second wives.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am hoping to do that kind of upgrade to my 07 Elise but I'm a long way away.
keep me posted with your results and final price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Still looking,

To try to put your mind at ease we will be using the Lotus sport ECU as I have struck a good deal with a local dealer so your warranty wont be effected. The header and exhaust will be for great sound and a bit more performance we hope to package all this up for a good price for you guys.

Just need a test vehicle......

What we will offer as well after the initial cost we will reimburse your investment as theses kits sell.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well load up your tools and I'll meet you in winnipeg rotfl :shift:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am a co-owner of a Performance company that has just opened in the Ottawa area. We are looking for an 05-06 Elise for our project.

What we are doing is:

1. Dyno the stock car
2. Add our header, intake high flow exhaust
3. Dyno for results
4. ECU upgrade
5. Dyno for results

There will be a cost involved but we will be doing this for less than half the retail price. If there is anyone that is interested please PM me.

-Brent
Since when does the mule pay for its own grain?:wallbang:

I would think you may have more luck finding a victum if the upgrades are free, in returm for the loan of the car. Who knows you could blow it up, who pays then?

I think the simple rule of you blow it or bend it you own it. :coolnana:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are not worried about blowing it up for a few reasons: 1. there all bolt on parts and all are with in Lotus specs 2. This project is being done by a well known shop that has insurance.

We have done this type thing before With Ferrari and Lamborghini and nothing has "blown up" as far as the exhaust parts go yes we can cover it (I have to try to do it this way before I approach the owner) but there is a cost for the ECU that we can't control. If the car owner is willing to pay for the discounted price on the ECU (as we will need the old one for a core charge) then I am sure we will cover the exhaust cost. Plus we are willing to reimburse the "mule" as kits are sold.......

Again I have to do things this way until we get no response.......if there is a "mule" that will cover the ECU then we will cover the exhaust........

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
What experience do you have with the Lotus ECU? There's someone you should talk to.......

Paging Mr. Charlie.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are using the Lotus Sport ECU.....from Lotus thus no warranty issues. I have a performance company that manufactures turbo set ups on non turbo vehicles....current project is my 05 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart that is a drive by wire system and because of the complexity of this ECU (it's far more advanced than the Lotus) we have designed and built our own piggyback that will work on most vehicle applications. Major testing will commence in the next few weeks.

To my understanding the stock ECU is not all that responsive to mods as there is not much room to adjust from the stock tune. This project is a simple one and does not require a reflash of the ECU. Once you reflash the ECU
kiss your warranty good bye. We are doing a simple header and muffler combo and using the Lotus Sport ECU to maximize the performance......there is no point in re-flashing your ECU for this project........

Over the winter we will be doing our turbo kit for the Elise and at that point if Mr. Charlie want to help us out that would be more than welcome....

I know most of you are asking "who the h**l s this guy" and Its a very good question but I am no stranger to the performance world.....for example on a rich running Ralliart (safety and fuel trim reasons) we took a 138WHP stock Ralliart turbo-ed it and put down 263WHP (there is more in there after we get the piggback working) on only 8psi of boost......

What experience do you have with the Lotus ECU? There's someone you should talk to.......

Paging Mr. Charlie.....

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I know most of you are asking "who the h**l s this guy" and Its a very good question but I am no stranger to the performance world.....for example on a rich running Ralliart (safety and fuel trim reasons) we took a 138WHP stock Ralliart turbo-ed it and put down 263WHP (there is more in there after we get the piggback working) on only 8psi of boost......
There's a big reason most of us will be skeptical about this. You're not the first "experienced" tuner to try and tackle the Elise. The majority have ended up with only minor problems in the best cases, with complete losses to the engine in the worst cases.

I don't think anyone has blatantly said you are trying to rip someone off or you don't know what you are doing. I know, for me, it's just basic "I'm not going to be the guinea pig"-itis. If you're successful -- awesome! We can always use a bigger selection of after-market parts. Good luck (sincerely, no sarcasm intended) finding a donor car.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
wolverineottawa said:
current project is my 05 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart that is a drive by wire system and because of the complexity of this ECU (it's far more advanced than the Lotus) ......
Problem is not really how complex the ECU is. It is how responsive it is.

Many many tuners ended up with zero gains once the ECU relearns the mods. So any gain post installation basically disappear after a while.

That's why the ECU has to be re-programmed. I doubt the piggy is gonna be any good. Because simply put, no piggy back has done any good in the past with this car. In fact, many blew engines up. If you succeed, great. But unless you can get your way around the ECU, any gain is bound to be mild at best.

I have no doubt some other ECUs are more complex. But I doubt that any ECU is less tuner friendly than the Lotus'.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Darth,

We will be using the LOTUS SPORT ECU direct from a Lotus dealer.....we don't have to get around it for this project. (I get a great deal on them)

Looks like we found our man.....project should commence in the next few weeks. I have have more responsibilities added to my job so it will be a few more weeks to co-ordinate things.....

·
Banned
874 Posts
make sure you keep us updated with pics:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts