The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know how much repairs cost for the Elise to help me decide if I can justify buying a used Elise.

For example how much does it cost to have a new clutch installed or transmission rebuilt or A/C repair? What other major repairs have you had and what was the total repair cost? Any minor repairs/maintenance with a suprising bill?

Any datapoints would be appreciated, and maybe help current Elise owners know what to expect and not get hosed at the dealership.

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm interested to know how much repairs cost for the Elise to help me decide if I can justify buying a used Elise.

For example how much does it cost to have a new clutch installed or transmission rebuilt or A/C repair? What other major repairs have you had and what was the total repair cost? Any minor repairs/maintenance with a suprising bill?

Any datapoints would be appreciated, and maybe help current Elise owners know what to expect and not get hosed at the dealership.

Thanks,
Doug
I think you'll always be surprised by the bill at the dealership. If you're a DIYer or find a local mechanic you can trust, it should be relatively affordable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm mechanically inclined but never worked on a car before and I don't see myself having time to do much beyond maybe working on the breaks and other semi-routine maintenance. I saw someone on here say they got quoted 7k for a transmission replacement and I hope that is an egregious figure so I'm trying to learn more what to expect.

Thanks for the feedback Brennon

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm mechanically inclined but never worked on a car before and I don't see myself having time to do much beyond maybe working on the breaks and other semi-routine maintenance. I saw someone on here say they got quoted 7k for a transmission replacement and I hope that is an egregious figure so I'm trying to learn more what to expect.

Sounds pretty accurate...I'm sure there aren't too many people out there that have had to pay out of pocket for a tranny replacement. I certainly haven't so exact figures are bit tough.

Oil changes are typically $200+ at the dealership. $40, two beers, and 45 minutes in the driveway if you want to do it yourself.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

Yep, $7K. But, at least Lotus did that one under warranty.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, isn't the drivetrain mostly common Toyota parts? I guess that's the cost of having an exotic. Has anyone had a clutch replaced? This would be my first standard transmission to own so I'd probably be a little hard on the clutch at first and I want to factor that in too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wow, isn't the drivetrain mostly common Toyota parts? I guess that's the cost of having an exotic. Has anyone had a clutch replaced? This would be my first standard transmission to own so I'd probably be a little hard on the clutch at first and I want to factor that in too.
-eek-.... My advice to you is to buy or rent a stick shift beater car, any civic or sentry will do, for $1k to 2K and take a day or two to learn how to drive stick first. It could save you a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...$1c to $2c per day, i presume you meant?..

·
Registered
315 Posts
...$1c to $2c per day, i presume you meant?..
something like that =) Buy a beater to beat for $1k-$2k or rent one. My brain is toasty from all the heat it has recieved driving with the top off.

Grinding gears in an Elise has got to be painful...makes me cringe just thinking about it...

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
a good portion of the cost of a transmission job would be the remove and replace costs.
seems that not much of the real guts of the elise is easy to get to.
great dependability when treated with respect, tho.
yes, find a beater to learn on and save money.

good luck and welcome to the fold.
sam

·
Banned
874 Posts

RENT A CAR (in standard and learn be4 u try the lotus!!!):tadts:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I definitely wouldn't "learn" on the Lotus, my dad has a Mazda3 standard and I plan on beating the crap out of that clutch until I'm pretty good before touching a Lotus. I just won't have years of skill under my belt.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...give yourself a season of daily driving a beater standard and it'll be old hat afterward, no worries...

...of course, i say that, but my SO's been driving a manual transmission her whole life and the first two times she attempted to drive my elise, she pushed it into reverse without engaging the clutch...she blames reverse being in the wrong place, i blame her being too nervous about breaking something to stay lucid of what she was doing...

·
Registered
545 Posts
I learned manual on my brother's Maxima on Monday night, brought my Elise home the following Tues night.
I have been doing my own oil changes, super charger install, and other mods on my own. This is the first car I have worked on. Great fun, just follow the directions.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I think that a clutch change books at about 8 hours or something like that. So, at a dealership, you're probably talking about $1000 in labor give or take, plus the cost of the parts.

The $7000 transmission probably included a brand new transmission bought through Lotus. Once you're out of warranty, you would probably choose a junkyard transmission and a good shade-tree mechanic to get the job done for $2000 or something (just guessing).

xtn

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I learned manual on my brother's Maxima on Monday night, brought my Elise home the following Tues night.
:up:

Learning to drive with a clutch isn't that hard. My first date with my wife consisted of me teaching her to drive a manual with my Elan nearly 30 years ago. Back in college I taught 3 or 4 of my friend's girlfriends how to drive a manual (none of them had the patience) on my old Triumph.

Both my kids learned to drive on the family's manual transmission cars. No damage to any of them, although the clutch in the '93 Accord is starting to slip - after 220,000 miles.

Seriously, you won't damage the clutch while learning unless you are really doing everything totally wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not worried too much about learning to drive a stick I just see a clutch as a likely repair especially buying used.

Thanks for the quotes too! I'd like to think I'll be able to work on this car but I've got one of those long hours jobs so who knows.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts