The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have an interesting opportunity to swap engines with a friend of mine whose selling his built internals elise w/Rev 400 & built transmission. Seems it's the full BOE package, surge tank, catch cans, etc(unsure on miles, but it does have a lot of track time on it). I have a stock 2006 Exige engine NA with 22k street miles. We're considering swapping engines before he sells his, which got me thinking about what fair value here might look like - I have no clue what the value of a Rev 400 built elise looks like vs a stock engine & trans one, all else being equal. Do Elises tend to appreciate or depreciate with extensive modification? Anyone with some knowledge here be able to chime in?

Engine life/reliability would be another concern of mine - not sure how long built engines last. Still getting the details on current mileage, condition, etc.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
assuming all else being equal that car would sell for around $12k? more then a stock engine and transmission car it seems historically.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
I have a feeling you are better off buying the motor from him and keeping yours on teh shelf should you ever sell yours

value wise anyway

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!
@exigegus - Seems like he wouldn't necessarily need my parts so it might actually be an option to keep mine around.
@kfennell - 12k huh? That's more than I'd have expected, Elises retain more aftermarket value than I thought! That's kinda nice for owners :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Thanks guys!

@exigegus - Seems like he wouldn't necessarily need my parts so it might actually be an option to keep mine around.

@kfennell - 12k huh? That's more than I'd have expected, Elises retain more aftermarket value than I thought! That's kinda nice for owners :)
Well built transmission engine, and rev 400 is a $24k operation at least...

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Sorry, but historically the REV 400 equipped cars for sale here on the forum haven't fared well with regards to resale value. Nor have other highly modified/engine swapped cars. There were two very prominent REV 400 examples, the last one being scooped up by @fzust. That's not a knock on the REV 400, it's just the reality of sinking a lot of money into modifications and expecting a good return on investments. Even Phil's extremely modified race car with zillions invested couldn't recoup on much of costs. Like any modified vehicle, modifications won't add too much to the sale unless you find "the one" that desires them.

San

·
Vendor
3,271 Posts
Yay me! :) Is there any reason you couldn't just swap the NA parts from your car to his and put the SC parts on your car? If you are just interested in the car for the occassional track day and primary street use, the Rev400 is less than $8k and transforms your car into a 11 sec 1/4mile, FTD Autox car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts