The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
JamesA,
In the past, at Road Atlanta track days, a lot of vettes go fast on the straights and then get very cautious in the corners. I don't know if that was the case with this car/driver but I thought it was worth viewing/comparing. I'm finding my video has a lot of repetition. (I wasn't recording when I spun)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice vid. Thanks for posting it.

I've found 'vette drivers and cars to be a widely varied lot on the track. I've seen what looks like a stock vette driven to the track lap a Z06 that looked extremely modded that was trailered in. And this was in the red run group. The 'vette on this vid looked like he was taking it easy on the corners and just depending on his HP to get him out of trouble. He squeels his tires on the beginning of the straight rather than at the corners. Still, you can see and hear the Elise needing to take it down a notch to avoid climbing into the guys trunk! I hope he eventually gave you a passing signal!!

One advantage of having a vid is that you can time the lap. Anyone know what the decent lap times are at Road Atlanta?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
One advantage of having a vid is that you can time the lap. Anyone know what the decent lap times are at Road Atlanta?
A friend of mine drives an 03 911 Twin Turbo with Gt2 suspension and R compound tires and typically runs between 1:42 and 1:45. I was timed in the low 1:50's a few times. After reviewing a lot of the video I see 4 corners where I can enter much faster. I'm used to quattro which pulls you out of the corners with great exit speed (early throttle) so I need to change my technique and work on entering the corners faster. The car felt like it had a lot more grip for me to use but it's going to take more time for me to adjust to this big (great) change.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Echoing Dave's tech talk at LOG, this was a "NON-TIMED, NON-COMPETITIVE" event, correct?
Chris,
That's correct but of course everyone has their eyes on how fast everyone else is. I try my best to stay by myself so I can work on my driving rather than watching my mirrors constantly.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Dan,
Any chance you can move your mirror next time, The oft quoted quote from the Gumball Rally movie ( a true classic) "first rule of Italian Driving, what's behind me is not important!"

Chris

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Absolutely! I would much rather view the road vs. my ugly mug!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I received today the little rear view mirror like the one Stan suggested, it is so tiny, it is cool! Thanks Stan for the address! and I hope you change your mind and help out the rest of the people in getting them properly made for the Elise and you can make a buck with it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Thanks Stan for the address!<<<

You'll have to thank someone else. I was dealing with the manufacturer and not a store. Sore subject for me.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Dan
Echoing Dave's tech talk at LOG, this was a "NON-TIMED, NON-COMPETITIVE" event, correct?:D
Chris:no:
Heh-heh :). Absolutely right. That's what DE's are. Thing is, you have to be able to gauge what you are doing. In the beginning, it's sorta easy to see, because the improvements are so huge. No need to time it. As you get to be more skilled, as in eliseowner2b's case, the improvements are small but significant. The only way to appreciate whether you are doing a better job of driving or not is by the use of a hot lap timer or, as in this case, the video. It's still non-competitive, in the sense that you are not deciding whether you are faster than driver X, but whether the last line or braking or turn in point was better than your previous one.

Am I making sense, or am I just looking for an excuse to be competitive :D?

Dan, I'll have the same need to develop a different set of skills like you. I also drive an AWD, a C4S, and have a tendency to do a slower entry and use the AWD for the earlier acceleration around the apex to make up for it. I'd be interested to know your impressions on the hotter entry and throttle steer characteristics of the Elise. Keep posting!!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Here's some Road Atlanta Times FYI:

GT3 Cup 1:29 - Good driver, not pro
Viper GTS 1:36 - Very good driver, not pro, stock car with upgraded brake pads
355 Challenge 1:38 - Good driver, not pro
GT2 1:38 - David Murry (Pro) stock car, stock tires
Turbo 1:39 - David Murry (Pro) stock car, stock tires
190hp Exige 1:42 - Me driving with passenger (Not close to Pro:)

Roy

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Steve, please let us know how your idea works out, the stock mirror has got to go!!!!!!!!!!! A mirror half as wide and high would let you see all of the rear window not already covered by the seat backs.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,870 Posts
Tpup said:
Here's some Road Atlanta Times FYI:

GT3 Cup 1:29 - Good driver, not pro
Viper GTS 1:36 - Very good driver, not pro, stock car with upgraded brake pads
355 Challenge 1:38 - Good driver, not pro
GT2 1:38 - David Murry (Pro) stock car, stock tires
Turbo 1:39 - David Murry (Pro) stock car, stock tires
190hp Exige 1:42 - Me driving with passenger (Not close to Pro:)

Roy
'99 Miata 1:55 - amateur driver (me :D )

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Do you know Jeremy from Panoz? He's an instructor and drives spec miata also. His Dad was driving their car on Saturday, in the rain, and slammed into a wall in turn 4. daytonaelise was 2 cars back and heard the hit. As they went by they could see he was unconscious. He was airlifted to the hospital. On Sunday I was told he has a broken pelvis and collar bone but should be ok.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,870 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Alright, now. That didn't look like a spec Miata. It didn't sound like one either.

I'm still trying to get a real world understanding of what the Elise is as a track car. Based on my admittedly limited exposure to tracking and track cars, the Elise as a track car is probably close to a well prepped Porsche 944. A very well balanced momentum car. Should be much better than a spec Miata, otherwise I think I will be disappointed.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts