The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

got question*as always*

i am thinking of tuning my 07 elise s with the toyota 1ZZ-FE engine. do you have any ideas of the best how to go around adding some extra hp? i am thinking of supercharger/turbo - but not sure if toyota celica kits will fit in, and also there is a huge lack of qualified mechanics over here in europe(atleast my part) so adjsuting/fitting/tuning makes me worry even more.

can someone give me a guidance or directions?
Links and real examples are very welcomed

thanks in advance

ilya

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Directions: SEARCH--- Forced Induction

·
Registered
159 Posts
edit- above post is completely useless - 1zz-fe powered elises not availble in the US

couple of kits available - but expensive

silverstone performance turbo kit - expensive and heard some 'stories' about their ecu hack.

komo-tec - hangar111 are the reseller in the UK for them. again, not cheap, but good quality.

i build my own tho ...

Elise S Rotrex Supercharger Project - Aussie Elises Forums

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tang0, btw, do you really feel the diff after fitting the kit?
ohhh yes - its currently running a fairly rough tune, lots of fuel - its due to go back in for a final tune in a few weeks time.

very linear power delivery, more it revs, more power it puts down - just like a bigger n/a feel really.

deffo worth it and a LOT cheaper than a 2zz swap.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohhh yes - its currently running a fairly rough tune, lots of fuel - its due to go back in for a final tune in a few weeks time.

very linear power delivery, more it revs, more power it puts down - just like a bigger n/a feel really.

deffo worth it and a LOT cheaper than a 2zz swap.
the thing is that after reading through your turbo story - the more i was reading the less i want one.. it took you soo much time.

if there could be something out of the box with manual for idiots - would be very handful ))

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i believe (and you should doublecheck this) that the five-speed gearbox on the 1ZZ is actually a bit tougher than the 2ZZ six-speed, and can carry more power safely...likewise, i believe that the 1ZZ is capable of carrying higher boost safely, as well...

·
Registered
159 Posts
had no probs with the gearbox - clutch is getting towards the end of its life tho ...

time was taken as i did everything myself - all the cad design brackets, all the welding, all the spannering, all the electronics .. on weekends and at night through the summer ... i have the day job as well !

there are 'kits' for the elise S out there, just very expensive and not what i wanted - for example with my standalone ecu i just got free traction control as it was released in their latest firmware. lets see motec do that !

check out komotec and silverstone performance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
oh, and 2zz is not necessarily best bang for buck - its not as simple swap on the elise as it is witht he mr2-spyder.

its close, but for a similar cost, i get more power than the 2zz.

i'm currently putting down about 200hp at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
We made a 1ZZ variation of our turbo setup kit for the Elise/Exige for another customer with the same question. It worked out great for him. He used a GT28RS turbo and tuned it in to 260whp or so which is just fine on that stock 1ZZ engine.

Because we do not have a 1ZZ Elise available to us we will probably never have a complete kit with tune available but at least the setup kit gets you the manifold, turbo and downpipe which are the toughest part.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We made a 1ZZ variation of our turbo setup kit for the Elise/Exige for another customer with the same question. It worked out great for him. He used a GT28RS turbo and tuned it in to 260whp or so which is just fine on that stock 1ZZ engine.

Because we do not have a 1ZZ Elise available to us we will probably never have a complete kit with tune available but at least the setup kit gets you the manifold, turbo and downpipe which are the toughest part.
pm'd

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:

Looks like Komo-Tech is the only "out of the box" solutuion with their kit:
Phase 5: 220S Turbodrive Mehrleistung ca. 80PS - KOMO-TEC Online

Silverstone guys said that its more or less impossible to install those remotely unfortunately, however they've managed to put turbo instead of sc and made appx 240 bhp.

Will be ordering komotech one most definitely.

updates to follow.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts