The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
08 Elise SC
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the replacement interval for the belt? The previous owner of my car was replacing it every six months or so. The owner's manual seems somewhat ambiguous (I can't remember exactly what it says - manual is locked up in car in garage), and the local dealer says they typically don't change them and didn't think I needed to have mine changed.

I'm not really sure whether it should be replaced. A six-month interval seems really short. I know it's not a direct comparison, but I haven't changed the belt on my Mustang in 11 years and 35k, and it still looks OK. Of course, its no problem if that car gives me trouble. You can get parts for it anywhere.

·
08 Elise SC
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Previous owner indicated he did not track the car. I see nothing on the car to suggest it was tracked, but then how do you really know if someone takes good care of the car (which the previous owner did)? I've tracked my Mustang before and I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Previous owner indicated he did not track the car. I see nothing on the car to suggest it was tracked, but then how do you really know if someone takes good care of the car (which the previous owner did)? I've tracked my Mustang before and I don't think anyone could tell the difference.

But an ECU dump WILL tell if a car has been heavily tracked. But the reason I originally said it was tracked is that would be the only reason to change the belt so frequently (heat and stress). Normal wear and tear suggests years of normal service without replacement.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's the maintenace schedule for my new '11 SC.. Note line 9b. Renew every 12 months..

I believe when I had my '08 SC, it stated to renew every 6 months.. Either way, it's a super cheap/easy job to DIY. I did it just for the peace of mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
The belt drives the SC, alternator and water pump. If it breaks you'll know straight away, shouldn't hurt anything but I wouldn't keep driving without the water pump running.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Here's the maintenace schedule for my new '11 SC.. Note line 9b. Renew every 12 months..

I believe when I had my '08 SC, it stated to renew every 6 months.. Either way, it's a super cheap/easy job to DIY. I did it just for the peace of mind.
Can it be done with the rear clam on? I just found mine had come off when backing out of the driveway tonight. Need to get it back on (belt seems fine....though it could be stretched which is why it may have come off in the first place) b/c I have family coming into town next week and everyone wants a ride (2008 SC).

Any idea on the routing? I have no idea since the belt came off without me being able to see it installed.

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
102 Posts
What size and/or type of belt?!!

I need a belt!! I have an '05 Elise with a dealer-installed factory SC and I'm hoping someone can tell me what size belt I need so I can buy it before I pull the old one off.

My belt is slipping a bit under load, and the tensioner and pulleys all seem fine. I can smell rubber in the cabin anytime I accelerate hard and fast and Im noticing a loss of power as well. Belt looks dry and worn. Definitely not my tires spinning. She hooks up real nice. Any other advice is appreciated as well.

Thanks.

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
519 Posts
I'm thrilled by this topic cause I'm at 22k now and can pretty much figure that my belt is OE. I tried Gates (my favorite for belts...but no). Tried Goodyear but they sold their belt division to another company that doesn't make our belts any more. I went to a site that I'm starting to like cause they're USA (No. Carolina?) MyLotusGarage.com where I got my Lotus oil filters. They have our belts and the entire S1 and S2 Elise parts catalogs on-line. Dig it! Lotus Elise Parts Catalog

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can it be done with the rear clam on? I just found mine had come off when backing out of the driveway tonight. Need to get it back on (belt seems fine....though it could be stretched which is why it may have come off in the first place) b/c I have family coming into town next week and everyone wants a ride (2008 SC).

Any idea on the routing? I have no idea since the belt came off without me being able to see it installed.

Thanks,
Sean
It's doable, I slipped mine off with the clam on. It's a bit tight in there and I think it would be easier with a second elbow joint...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts