The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any article on the Internet which compares the Elise S and the Elise R? ...or anyone who has tried both cars and can explain his impressions, the differences, the conclusions (is the R worth over the S?)...

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
The Elise S is not available in the US where most denizens of this board lurk. You could try SELOC which is UK based and has a large user population.

From comments in Aus the Elise S is a brilliant every day Elise and every bit as good as the Elise R. When you get onto the track the R then comes into its own. You really need to test drive them yourself to know what you want though as everyone has their own unique blend of requirements.

Bottom line - either will provide you with a perma-grin :)

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Any article on the Internet which compares the Elise S and the Elise R? ...or anyone who has tried both cars and can explain his impressions, the differences, the conclusions (is the R worth over the S?)...
If you do not mind to invest 10 Swiss Franks (and to read German) you might want to download revues that were printed in Swiss magazine 'Automobil Revue' (very detailed):

Elise S: Automobil Revue - Download-Center

Elise R vs. Opel Speedster Turbo: Automobil Revue - Download-Center

So far I haven't seen a revue comparing the S with the R.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Isn't the S the lower 130 hp Rover engine car where as the R has the 192 hp 2zz...
I think the S motor is the Toyota 1ZZ (about 134hp).

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I think the S motor is the Toyota 1ZZ (about 134hp).
Roger that, so the same as in the Toyota MRS... I saw some while in Tokyo, but didn't pay them much attention since I was focused on finding my Exige...

58hp is a huge difference in these cars and if you plan on doing anything other than just driving it to and from work for the hey look at me factor I wouldn't even consider the S an option.....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Virtually all the british press have indicated that the Elise S is the best of the lot. I would not be surprised if that were the truth.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Roger that, so the same as in the Toyota MRS... I saw some while in Tokyo, but didn't pay them much attention since I was focused on finding my Exige...

58hp is a huge difference in these cars and if you plan on doing anything other than just driving it to and from work for the hey look at me factor I wouldn't even consider the S an option.....
yes 58hp is a lot - but most of that is at the top end of the rev range. When it comes to torque the S has 172Nm at 4200 whereas the R has only 9 more (181Nm) but at 6,800RPM! I haven't driven either but understand that on a tight track there is nothing in it (same driver) but add a few longer straights and the R finds the pace.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have elise S and its a totally different beast to drive.

im not a fan of the 2Zz, dont like flogging a car to 8k rpm, so the S is great because it has good low torque,

its just as fast through mountain passes as anexige or 111R although you would think the 41kw is a huge difference, youd be surprised how well it still drives. IMO actually better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts