The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an eye on that green one they have advertised since more than 2 years..
Have someone around has seen the car or know about it?
I asked a lot of questions about maintenance but got very few answers...

I am in Candiac Qc.

Tks.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I've seen it on their website. I have not seen it in the showroom. They have a lot of cars in storage.

Gentry is a first class dealer. They probably won't budge on price but I'm sure whatever they have for offer will be in great shape.

S2 maintenance is modest. I don't really know about S1 maintenance but I would think it would be reasonable too.

I see that there are a lot of km on that car (87,000 km). Personally that would not worry me as I have 265,000 km on my S2 Elise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tks, reason is I am asking about specific maintenance that these guys should have performed or checked... but they do not give me answers... just vague answer, like, yes, we will sell certified.. I am quite far like 600km from that dealer...

·
Registered
282 Posts
gentrylane is a good. been using them since I got the car, so far I have no problem with them

one thing to keep in mind...the S1 has a rover motor, any local replacement parts will be hard to come by (unlike the S2 motor where you can go to pretty much any Toyota dealership)

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
tks, reason is I am asking about specific maintenance that these guys should have performed or checked... but they do not give me answers... just vague answer, like, yes, we will sell certified.. I am quite far like 600km from that dealer...
I've sometimes heard that their sales people are a bit like that. But I know their technicians and parts guys and they are all first rate. If I were buying an older used car from them I'd have no worries. They are a 9-5 sort of shop though with no weekend availability. If you are really serious about the car you should come to Toronto someday and ask for a test drive. But if you do that you should confirm it with them in advance so the car would be pulled out of storage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, only Grerg is answering me... they do not take the time to get me straight answers about the maintenance... Would be easy to print my questions, and handle them to one of their mechanic who has maintained-prepared the S1....and since I am out of Ontario, and far, a hassle for me do deal.. so I'll pass.. will wait for spring time probably.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like Gentry Lane. I’m servicing my Elise there. Regarding the green Elise S1, the faded Interior red looks terrible. Not the original seats. I would suggest going with a S2 given the Toyota engine and parts availability. I also prefer the looks... Greg helped me in the process of purchasing my 2007 Elise NA from John Scotti Lotus of Montreal by pointing out this car and doing the registration in Ontario. From the mechanical perspective Brian and Colin have been great in providing maintenance, advice and fixes (such as inspecting the car, replacing wear and tear parts, replacing the original radiator with one I’ve ordered from the UK). My only disappointment is that I don’t get to enjoy my Elise in Toronto. Not practical in the city. Even in the highway other drivers don’t see you as the car is so low. Parking in parallel might end up in someone backing and smashing your car, etc. A week ago I started looking into trading in my pristine Elise for a used Aston Martin.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Yes, only Grerg is answering me... they do not take the time to get me straight answers about the maintenance... Would be easy to print my questions, and handle them to one of their mechanic who has maintained-prepared the S1....and since I am out of Ontario, and far, a hassle for me do deal.. so I'll pass.. will wait for spring time probably.
Call them up and ask to speak to their sales manager. Ruffle some feathers if you need to. If you take charge and show them you’re serious, and directly ask a mechanic to review the car’s condition for any concerns, then you’ll get things done. I hate it when you have to push dealers to do their job, but sometimes you have to break through the apathetic staff.

·
Registered
888 Posts
A car is a a car, and Lotus is using a lot of usual parts on it. Parts for the engine are available from eliseparts in UK. In Canada, it is typically more usefull to buy the parts directly in UK than in USA. The shipping from UK is quick and easy. British service is all a time top.

You can service the car like everywhere. But if you are looking for more Brit oriented, my brother is servicing those car and livre close to the Tunnel, Montreal side. If you need, PM me for his phone number.

The S1 wheel bearing seem to require more maintenance than S2. The S2 is rocket prrof. The upright of the S1 flex more and gives extra load the bearing, I think. But it is easy to do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tks for the info and sorry for the late reply.. with this COVID19, I truly think it is worth no more than 30k, not 39...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to go look at this car... I wouldn't pay more than $30k for it either but they're not budging on price. It had been sitting so long in their showroom that when I went to go view it, something was wrong with the clutch so they had to do an emergency bleed to the clutch slave cylinder... wasn't able to drive the car and overall not the best first impression.

The aftermarket seats are extremely tight, only a very small person would be able to fit in it... I also did some internet sleuthing and found out it was originally a Swiss-delivered car painted Azure Blue that was imported to Japan around 2010. In Japan it had the front clam changed, not sure if because of an impact or not. The car was repainted from Azure Blue to LRG at some point, and the paint is flaking in some areas.

Just a heads up to any potential buyer... I'd be game to purchase the car at a heavy discount and bring it back to former (original) glory but not at the price-point they're asking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts