The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't know, som S1 elises have a problem which causes the aluminium floors in the footwell of the car to become corroded. It's a type of corrosion called crevice corrosion and is caused by the PVC floormats Lotus specified when the car was in development. I've got an elise S1 affected in this way and thought you guys might like to know that after Lotus found out about the issue and publicised it, I cotacted their customer service department and gave my email address. I've been getting updates every few months since.

They seem to have resolved it now:

To:
cc:
Subject: Lotus Elise Footwell Floor Corrosion June 2004

Lotus Elise Footwell Floor Corrosion June 2004

Dear Elise Customer,

Further to the statements issued earlier this year, Lotus is pleased to advise that Lotus Service Bulletin 2004/14 has now been released to our Authorised Dealer network. This bulletin contains the inspection criteria and the rectification process required for use on affected cars.

All affected vehicles will be individually assessed and where necessary, will be treated under warranty through the dealer network (subject to normal warranty terms and conditions).

For further information, please contact your dealership and liaise with them directly.

Yours sincerely,

Neil E S Turner
Customer Service Manager
Tel: (01953) 608844
e-mail: [email protected]

Valerie Milton-Keates
Customer Service Co-ordinator
Lotus Cars Ltd
Tel +44 (0) 1953 608844
Fax +44 (0) 1953 608514

"This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may contain material protected by attorney-client privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the IT Service Desk by telephone on 44 (0) 1953 608888."

[email protected]
http://www.lotuscars.co.uk
http://www.lotuseng.com
http://www.lotussport.com

Group Lotus plc (Co. Reg. No. 606189)
Lotus Cars Ltd (Co. Reg. No. 895081)
Registered Offices, Hethel, Norwich, Norfolk, NR14 8EZ, England.

I find it heartening that they have dealt with this even for older cars. It can only be a good sign for you guys.

One thing: I have no contract with lotus so have ignored the legal bull at the bottom of the email on the basis that it can't apply to me.

Craigy

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I spoke to Tony Shute at the LA Auto Show, he said that the aluminum on the floor of the car is only 2mm thick.

I checked my car (late 96 build date) and there was none of the white powder characteristic of aluminum oxidation, so I presume I am good. Don't have a lot of choice in Seattle and all of the trained folks who know what to look for being on the other side of the Atlantic.

alan

·
Registered
340 Posts
Craigy said:
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
Oooh, I feel dirty for reading this post :cool:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RallyElise said:
When I spoke to Tony Shute at the LA Auto Show, he said that the aluminum on the floor of the car is only 2mm thick.

I checked my car (late 96 build date) and there was none of the white powder characteristic of aluminum oxidation, so I presume I am good. Don't have a lot of choice in Seattle and all of the trained folks who know what to look for being on the other side of the Atlantic.

alan
Mine's from April '97, and the ally in the footwell had to deal with the PVC until september last year, when I pulled it up. Under the PVC there was some smelly fluid (the smell is a bit like battery acid) and some white powder. After cleaning it up, mine was all cosmetic. It's hidden by floormats anyway. Some people weren't so lucky: a few have had small holes in the floor and for those people, Lotus are getting the dealers to bond a new piece of ally over the top of the whole area after prepping it to stop further corrosion. If you've not got white deposits on yours, then your car is fine - which is likely what your dealer will tell you.

Craigy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ah, my dealer. I am my own dealer. Or, at least, my own service department.

I am in Washington state in the US with an ex-German market car (not obtained from certain individuals in Florida). I have been getting all of my parts directly through LCU (but the guy who took over from Clyde doesn't seem to answer e-mail and I don't know how to use a phone, so I don't know what to do for parts now!). LCU actually sent me the upgraded steering arms for free, but I had to pay for the M16 hub bolt upgrade.

I recently went through a lot of pain dealing with a dead cooling fan motor and chasing air out of the cooling system (uh, and then I misadjusted the front compartment cover and had to figure out how to reopen it). Maybe a service department would have been nice then, but I got to know my car so much better then. And it really isn't YOUR car until you bleed all over it, right?

I have seen folks who seem to get a little self-righteous concerning cars that came here like mine did, but, hey, in a few weeks, I will have had my Elise for 5 years. Just wish I had more time to drive it.

alan

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RallyElise said:
Ah, my dealer. I am my own dealer. Or, at least, my own service department.

I am in Washington state in the US with an ex-German market car (not obtained from certain individuals in Florida). I have been getting all of my parts directly through LCU (but the guy who took over from Clyde doesn't seem to answer e-mail and I don't know how to use a phone, so I don't know what to do for parts now!). LCU actually sent me the upgraded steering arms for free, but I had to pay for the M16 hub bolt upgrade.

I recently went through a lot of pain dealing with a dead cooling fan motor and chasing air out of the cooling system (uh, and then I misadjusted the front compartment cover and had to figure out how to reopen it). Maybe a service department would have been nice then, but I got to know my car so much better then. And it really isn't YOUR car until you bleed all over it, right?

I have seen folks who seem to get a little self-righteous concerning cars that came here like mine did, but, hey, in a few weeks, I will have had my Elise for 5 years. Just wish I had more time to drive it.

alan
dude - if you get static with parts, any of the bigger UK guys will sort you out.

My fellow on the South coast does most of his business with the US. Try www.fibreglassservices.co.uk

Cheers

Craigy

·
Registered
59 Posts
RallyElise do you ever come down to Portland? If there is any chance you would be interested in coming for the American Lemans that would be great. I can get you some free tickets.

I know it is a bit of a trip in the Elise but think about it. We are still hoping to have the Exige, 340R, Motorsport (in the race) plus a few other and it would be great to have you here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do I ever get to Portland? Sure. I was there yesterday running my VW R32 at the AROO track day at PIR.

As far as driving the Elise down to Portland, the distance is no problem. I drove it down to Thunderhill for a track day a few year ago.

We can discuss this offline, if you wish. My e-mail is [email protected]. I am an officer in the Evergreen Lotus Car Club, so I think I have your e-mail address in some stuff that Tom Miller cc'ed us when you were trying to find a venue to show your car up here.

alan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts