The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Im am from Portugal and have the only 220 sport around!
I have standard suspension but feel a little roll when going to track days. My car is for occasional b-roads on the weekend, always going fast, and for some track days, maybe 5 or 6 per year

I normally ride alone and I would appreciate very much your advice as I have no idea if I am doing a good choice....some doubts:

- NTR 46 not considered because I do a lot of fast road use and roads in Portugal are not very good and the height of the car would be to low...correct assumption?

- NTR 40 selected because it will permit same road height and I expect much better handling on track without compromising dramatically comfort, correct?

- I read that I can customize spring rates on order, they claim 400 lbs/" front, 475 lbs/" rear, is this the correct option or should I go a little harder as I manly use the car going fast road or track day...I am heavy (230lbs) , do not know if its important

Thank you so much from Portugal and thank you so much for your help

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Having used a variety of shocks I would be looking at the Penske from blackwatch if you can get them imported. Otherwise, you should be able to adjust the ride height on either of the nitrons to your preference would you not? As far as spring rates that would be perfectly fine for a mixed use car, but I would want to look at stiffer, around 550-700 or so if it was mine. If your shocks are good that is still an acceptable spring rate for road use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having used a variety of shocks I would be looking at the Penske from blackwatch if you can get them imported. Otherwise, you should be able to adjust the ride height on either of the nitrons to your preference would you not? As far as spring rates that would be perfectly fine for a mixed use car, but I would want to look at stiffer, around 550-700 or so if it was mine. If your shocks are good that is still an acceptable spring rate for road use.
Thank you!

·
Administrator
2,115 Posts
Welcome to LT Paulo!

Reactions: Paulo Rego

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hello Paulo

As mentioned above, adjustable suspension (spring platforms) will allow you to set the ride height as required, so that isn't the reason to select between 40 or 46 (damper body) . As you're based in Europe, I have a suggestion.

If you want Nitron suspension, there's a very active UK Lotus dealer called Hofmanns near London. They get Nitrons made to their specification, not normally available. Contact Chris Randle 'Randy' there, explain what you want to achieve & they will give suggested alignment adjustments too, to get the best out of your set-up Lotus Suspension Upgrades | Lotus Servicing | Hofmann’s

Alternatively, I've had good experience with Ohlins & these were used by Lotus Motorsport Dept on Cup build cars. Again, its a good idea to buy these from the 'right' source who know how the specification should be set-up on a Lotus. Even Lotus bought Ohlins via Mick Gardner, as the Ohlins factory in Sweden does not fine-tune them for Lotus application. MGR

Either of these options will be a big step-up from the factory fit fixed rate Bilsteins on a Sport 220 & both these suspension companies are OE suppliers to Lotus Cars. However like most 'motorsport' type dampers, they may need a re-fresh more frequently than a 'road' type damper depending on your use, so keep your Bilsteins, as they could be handy as reserve units in the future.

HTHs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Paulo

As mentioned above, adjustable suspension (spring platforms) will allow you to set the ride height as required, so that isn't the reason to select between 40 or 46 (damper body) . As you're based in Europe, I have a suggestion.

If you want Nitron suspension, there's a very active UK Lotus dealer called Hofmanns near London. They get Nitrons made to their specification, not normally available. Contact Chris Randle 'Randy' there, explain what you want to achieve & they will give suggested alignment adjustments too, to get the best out of your set-up Lotus Suspension Upgrades | Lotus Servicing | Hofmann’s

Alternatively, I've had good experience with Ohlins & these were used by Lotus Motorsport Dept on Cup build cars. Again, its a good idea to buy these from the 'right' source who know how the specification should be set-up on a Lotus. Even Lotus bought Ohlins via Mick Gardner, as the Ohlins factory in Sweden does not fine-tune them for Lotus application. MGR

Either of these options will be a big step-up from the factory fit fixed rate Bilsteins on a Sport 220 & both these suspension companies are OE suppliers to Lotus Cars. However like most 'motorsport' type dampers, they may need a re-fresh more frequently than a 'road' type damper depending on your use, so keep your Bilsteins, as they could be handy as reserve units in the future.

HTHs
Thank you for your information, I will call him for sure, just saw the site!

·
Registered
No lotus yet, but cant wait to get one
139 Posts
Reactions: Paulo Rego
1 - 8 of 8 Posts