The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Interesting read. Sounds like its getting Americanized.

I'm happy with everything I read with the exeption of 950 kg! I hope that's incorrect (950 kg = 2095 lbs)

That said, there aren't too many 2100 lb cars for sale in this country, so its not like it's heavy. I would just like the satifaction of knowing that the car weighs less than a ton.

hmmm... Overall, good news. ;)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Hard to take that weight as gospel at this point.

I am glad to hear about a few things. More solid doors would be good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So far it sounds like I'd prefer a regular S2. I see no point in central locking in a tiny 2 seater, I prefer the letters on the back (as opposed to a badge), and I'd prefer lighter weight to less rattles. I'm not taking the 950 kg as gospel but if they stuck in some Dynamat, puffed up the seats and made just a few other changes I could easily see it happening. As someone on that board said, what's next - a power roof?

·
Registered
818 Posts
its for the mass not the few. Sure there are some hard core track people out there, but im sure a lot of them are not going to goto the track more than once in a great while. Sure ill go, but im not going to mad if there are power locks and power windows. better seats, less rattles.

Power locks-- good with car alarms.

Power windows-- Cranks just dont look good in any car, plus you look dumb leaning over to roll down the window,

better seats-- track folk more than likely to take stock seats out and put in race seats. plus I take some long road trips and need more padding for 10, 15 , 20 hr trips.

Less rattles-- Right now My prowler has a few rattles but sometimes it does get to you.

Overall I like the changes, but we will have to just wait and see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hollywood said:
Power locks-- good with car alarms.
That's great but a thief could just use a Vespa to tow the Elise away. If they couldn't anything with a motor to tow it off, they could just get 5 other guys and carry it away. :p

I don't know - it sounds like they're making it into a Speedster/VX220 Turbo only with less power. Not a great marketing decision, IMO. Let the Speedster have the lux/comfort segment and the Elise be for the real driving enthusiast. Otherwise, Lotus is putting both their eggs in the same small basket. Either way, the old farts are going to have their butts a couple inches off the ground, so the Elise is always going to have a very limited market segment. Trade off a couple of hardcore track guys for a couple of guys who want something more "comfy" and are you better off or worse off?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Whatever 'fluff' Lotus adds can be easily removed by the serious track folks to cut weight if needed. I don't mind getting all those extras included, and my guess is that none of that will make someone decide to NOT buy the Elise.

I read somewhere that the Open/Vauxhall Speedster won't be built for much longer (engine regs, I think?), and the next generation will be based on a platform they're designing. So, there very well could be a market for two variations of the Elise if it comes to that.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
If the Elise goes from 1700 pounds to 2100 pounds, then I'm definitely getting the '04 S2000 instead.

At 2100 pounds, it would be an MR2 Spyder with VVTL...something that is rumored for the near future outside the US market.

But what is the source for the claim that the Elise will weigh 950kg? The say-so of some unknown yahoo on an internet message board.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"But what is the source for the claim that the Elise will weigh 950kg? The say-so of some unknown yahoo on an internet message board."

You're right about that, we shouldn't jump on every rumor as if it's gospel.

IIRC that figure is questioned by someone else later on in that thread. I still don't think that the first U.S. Elise will stray that much from the current version, at least that's what the guys from Lotus USA were saying in L.A. this last January.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Somebody on the UK message board throw out the 950kg weight w/o anything to back it up. Even if it came in at a ton, that's about 200lbs lighter then a MR2 Spyder with a much stiffer chassis (hard to do with convertible) & better tune suspension. But then '2 will be cheaper, easier to find mods etc. Have also heard rumors of the Spyder being EOL.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Yes, there is a pretty strong rumor that the Toyota Spyder is done at 2004. No more.

But a new car may be in work to replace it. Perhaps a Supra. Does not mean they will continue to have a lightweight roadster though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to agree with Matt g,even if it did end up a few hundred pounds heavier .Reducing the weight would be no big deal..........the miata guys have got it down to a science.

·
Registered
59 Posts
MattG said:
Whatever 'fluff' Lotus adds can be easily removed by the serious track folks to cut weight if needed. I don't mind getting all those extras included, and my guess is that none of that will make someone decide to NOT buy the Elise.
Of course you can strip it if need be but in my mind that's counter to the point of buying the Elise. An Elise is supposed to be something that doesn't call out to be stripped. I remember someone on a message boardwriting something like "It's so spartan an interior that you can leave the top off in a downpour and there's absolutely no harm done." I doubt that is completely true but I'd like a car that has earned that type of reputation. As the mags say, a street legal kart.

If you want to do autocross as well as track then stripping the Elise may put you in an awkward position. Certainly, my dream since hearing about it coming was to run it in stock class and see what she can do pretty much au naturale versus the big boys. And it won't endear you to the service manager when you want a warranty repair done on your low volume car, especially if you do the bolt ons that are pretty much a given for running prepared or SM. (If moutons is correct, all Lotus cars are banned from SM2.) When I think about spending $38.5k+ on a car, I rather it be made such that I don't want to do anything particularly serious to it. If I'm going to strip something and do some serious, not-good-for-resale-or-warranty work on it I might as well get something on the used market, or maybe something common enough that replacing parts out of warranty isn't going to be too problematic.

All that written, I'm not too worried about things just yet, as there is no official information. Worst case - maybe they'll offer a Club Sport version. ;)

[Edit - The Speedster Turbo is just coming out so I believe it'll be here a few years and the comparison is valid.]

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Well said ya hachu.

I too intend on racing it in stock class trim, assuming that is even allowed. The car may get classed in ASP.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If the US spec Elise ends up being 2100lbs +,I'll take back my deposit and buy a Vintage Spyder. I will not spend $40,000 on a car and not get excactly what I want.

I personally believe that the S 2.5 cannot weigh that much. Its essentially the same car with very minor upgrades. But the US spec car just might.....

here's hoping that Lotus keeps it light!

just thought of something..... I'll bet my right nut that if Lotus makes the Elise an overweight (for its standards), luxo-cruiser for the American market, the next year, they'll make a stripped down racer's version.... and probably charge more for it!

Jose Soriano

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
definite daily drive, (but current S2 is perfectly acceptable for that unless you have kids or dogs to lug around).

Interior is more solid feeling although doesn't look quite as special now. Leather seats are more comfy and better quality - don't look like they will wear as much as current S2, gear knob is now in the same material as the central divider and has leather shroud, parcel shelf now has a net like the S1, cabin light is moved to middle of parcel shelf, rev counter and speedo minor design revision, annoying "REFILL" fuel warning has been replaced by a fuel bar and conventional red warning indicator, Clarion head unit replaced by Blaupunkt (think it was MP3 compatible woodstock) speakers are Clarions but sounded fine, mat underneath driver footwell has changed to a hard wearing easy to clean rubber first half with carpet beginning further back, electric windows worked fine but you can't open passenger side window from drivers seat.

Big tool pouch in boot has been removed, hard cover for battery, windscreen washer bottle relocated to engine bay (thank god) engine cover is snazzy red.

All of this on the 111S and all comes as standard with no price change.

To drive it felt much better from my point of view, with the extra sound deadening getting rid of most of the unwanted noise while still letting you hear the exhaust note when you give it the full moo. I found the fact that it felt more solid gave me more confidence to push it a little bit harder than I perhaps might in my car, but then I am by no means a demon corner taker at the best of times!

Range was looking good to as the red light only came on at 245miles (this was during the quick spin by the way, B&C don't let you have a 245 mile test drive!)

I know a lot of people were initially put off by the badge on the back, but it doesn't look that bad in the flesh. If you are able to have a go in one of the new ones I suggest you do -I think people will be surprised. Of course it might not be hard core enough for some but with the 135R and 190 I guess there's something for everyone now.

Now if they could just make the hard top as quick to fix and remove as the soft top they would be there!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts