The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have recently replaced my windscreen washer motor as my last one packed in recently. I have cleaned out the washer bottle and the rubber bung at the bottom which was full of gunk. But having done all of these there is no fluid making it onto the windscreen. I can hear the motor whirring away but I am now at a loss as to what to do next. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

Cheers Matt

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
You can also disconnect the line from the pump and low pressure the line clean after removing the line from nozzles up front. Then use welding tip cleaners to clear the nozzle passage. Reconnect and test.

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
G search is your friend. Use G search and end with lotustalk found this. Looks like there's a filter in tank to check as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G search is your friend. Use G search and end with lotustalk found this. Looks like there's a filter in tank to check as well.
Thank Catsailr27 I've read through this thread a couple of times and taken the front access panel off of my car but I can't see this valve or cylinder that is mentioned the only way I can see to get more access to these would be to remove the whole front clam off the car. Is that the next step?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise, Arctic Silver
73 Posts
Minor nitpick of the day: there are two parts labeled 17 that are clearly different. I assume the lower one is the check valve, will need to look at my actual car to get a better understanding of what the upper one is. This might be my minor project for the weekend, because only one of my two nozzles are working.
Font Parallel Auto part Circle Pattern

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
Minor nitpick of the day: there are two parts labeled 17 that are clearly different. I assume the lower one is the check valve, will need to look at my actual car to get a better understanding of what the upper one is. This might be my minor project for the weekend, because only one of my two nozzles are working.
View attachment 1315074
My guess is the pair at the top should be #11

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
View attachment 1315074
Welding tip cleaner to the squirter that's failing should fix it.

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
Thank Catsailr27 I've read through this thread a couple of times and taken the front access panel off of my car but I can't see this valve or cylinder that is mentioned the only way I can see to get more access to these would be to remove the whole front clam off the car. Is that the next step?
Did you verify output at the tank? You will have to feel more than likely for that valve but did you disconnect nozzles and blow thru with compressed air? The link I sent had good problem determination for this problem. Shouldn't have to remove clam

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you verify output at the tank? You will have to feel more than likely for that valve but did you disconnect nozzles and blow thru with compressed air? The link I sent had good problem determination for this problem. Shouldn't have to remove clam
Yes so I have verified that the pump does get liquid out of the tank when it's running and I have also shot some compressed air down the line which did result in some liquid making it to the windscreen. There was also this white foamy substance coming out of the line when I took the compressor off but not sure if this is relevant. But once I put everything back together again it's still the same where the pump is whirring away but nothing is coming out of the nozzles at the front.

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
I had suggested you remove line from nozzle before blowing air. Now all crap in the line will be in the nozzle. Remove the line from nozzles and see if water comes thru when you use washer. If so get welding tip cleaner and poke the nozzles clean and then final clean with compressed air. If no fluid from pump to disconnected lines then you'll need to locate the check valve and clean/replace it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So this afternoon I have sent compressed air down one end of the washer line from one of the sprayers, which didn't change anything. There isn't any space for me to reach the other line or this valve on my S3 and the only way I can see an easy way to get to these is by taking the front clam off the car but this I think seems a bit excessive for this sort of issue.

·
Administrator
11,078 Posts
So this afternoon I have sent compressed air down one end of the washer line from one of the sprayers, which didn't change anything. There isn't any space for me to reach the other line or this valve on my S3 and the only way I can see an easy way to get to these is by taking the front clam off the car but this I think seems a bit excessive for this sort of issue.
It's a check valve you need to put the compressed air in from the pump end. It's designed to prevent backflow of the fluid It was described as being six inches from the T and that you would have to remove parts to get to it but it is accessible without removing clam by multiple members. Read all the posts in the link I sent. The only difference is you're an S3 parts are the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I understand that I need to access this valve but I'm unable to see a way of accessing this valve with this amount of space I have once the front access panel is opened. Any help on if I can remove any of the bolts from the access panel to get more access would be helpful as at the moment I'm none the wiser.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ah, sorry, I wasn't thinking about how much smaller the access panels are on the S3. I'm afraid I don't know what else may be removable on the S3. I believe that body style was only sold in the US for one year (2011) and not many were sold. You may have better luck finding people who have tackled this on an S3 on one of the UK-centric forums.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts