The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car will be used as a daily driver. Both cars will be bought new. Following are the Pros and Cons.

Elise SC

Pros
-More exotic looking
-Faster to 60
-Removable top
-Unreal handling
-Boatloads of fun to drive

Cons
-Worrying about scraping the clam
-I live in the hills of CT = Snow
-50K vs 45K
-Insurance slightly higher (much higher with a claim I believe)
-Reliability (would like to put close to 100k on it)
-Tire costs
-Don't know if I am up to fixing a lot of little things...

Audi TTS
Pros
-Good looks (love the LED headlights)
-Fast
-AWD
-Room for a set of clubs
-Great interior
-More reliability
-Cheaper (45k vs. 50K)
-Cheaper insurance

Cons
-Not as fast as the Elise 0-60
-Not as good looking
-Coupe

The Audi dealer is in the same building as the Lotus dealer, so the dealership is just as close. This is a tough decision...

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
While the Elise will be a daily driver, I assume you'll have something to use for when it snows? As an only car, I think you're asking for trouble with the Elise as a daily driver. It can be done but then some people get by with just a motorcycle also.

As for the TTS, I don't think it will handle anywhere near as well as the Elise. The TTS have a front wheel bias under normal condition so it won't have a proper sport car feel. The other problem is the steering feedback is very light on the TT and they have not changed that on the TTS.

I think the problem you have is fun vs. practiciality. If you have something else to use for bad weather or less than ideal parking, go with an Elise. If not, then TTS.

Let me put it this way, I'd rather be driving an Elise over a TT but I need the rear seats for a childseat. Could I do than on the Elise, sure but it's not a wise decision.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
While the Elise will be a daily driver, I assume you'll have something to use for when it snows? As an only car, I think you're asking for trouble with the Elise as a daily driver. It can be done but then some people get by with just a motorcycle also.

As for the TTS, I don't think it will handle anywhere near as well as the Elise. The TTS have a front wheel bias under normal condition so it won't have a proper sport car feel. The other problem is the steering feedback is very light on the TT and they have not changed that on the TTS.

I think the problem you have is fun vs. practiciality. If you have something else to use for bad weather or less than ideal parking, go with an Elise. If not, then TTS.

Let me put it this way, I'd rather be driving an Elise over a TT but I need the rear seats for a childseat. Could I do than on the Elise, sure but it's not a wise decision.
For the most part I agree with your assessment, but for the part about the weighting of the steering; I think that it is all relative. You're comparing manual steering to power steering. I had both a TT and an Elise (in that order) and I might have said that the Elise's steering is heavy. And, by comparison, now that I have a 335i, I'd say the steering's light and rather numb despite how all the car mags rave about it - but that's because I came from an Elise. So, it's all relative. :cool:

And to the OP, what about a TTS Roadster? Also, I'd think that the TTS will likely have a Revo or APR flash available at sometime, which will narrow the gap in speed between the two.

BTW, insurance will not be much of a difference; I would expect them both to be around a Symbol 24 or so.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
As a DD I think the Audi is the better choice. You have to compromise to make the Elise a DD. As a sports car the Lotus hands down is the winner.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where did you find information stating that the Elise is less reliable than the TTS?

I had a 06 GTI (Similar 2.0T engine), I had problem with boost loss and excessive oil consumption as early as 30kmiles. I do all my maintenance and with nothing but the best parts!!

This car will be used as a daily driver. Both cars will be bought new. Following are the Pros and Cons.

Elise SC

Pros
-More exotic looking
-Faster to 60
-Removable top
-Unreal handling
-Boatloads of fun to drive

Cons
-Worrying about scraping the clam
-I live in the hills of CT = Snow
-50K vs 45K
-Insurance slightly higher (much higher with a claim I believe)
-Reliability (would like to put close to 100k on it)
-Tire costs
-Don't know if I am up to fixing a lot of little things...

Audi TTS
Pros
-Good looks (love the LED headlights)
-Fast
-AWD
-Room for a set of clubs
-Great interior
-More reliability
-Cheaper (45k vs. 50K)
-Cheaper insurance

Cons
-Not as fast as the Elise 0-60
-Not as good looking
-Coupe

The Audi dealer is in the same building as the Lotus dealer, so the dealership is just as close. This is a tough decision...

·
Registered
817 Posts
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson say that the TT is a hairdresser's car? ;)

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I agree with BM. You could pick up a used clean 911 for sub 50k

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
+1 on the Porsche.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reliability wise I wasn't necessarily talking about the engine, but more so the other parts of the car. I have been lurking here for quite some time. I have read posts about water in the trunk, leaking roofs, missing screws, etc. I know the engine and transmission are Toyota sourced and very reliable.

With the open top, I like that the Lotus has a removable hard top. I wouldn't want a permanent soft top year round (just picky I guess).

I have looked at the Cayman S, but it is just a bit too pricy for me. A used car would be in my price range, but I really prefer a new car. (picky again)

I am not the greatest of mechanics. I change my own oil, replace burnt out bulbs, and I would probably change my own breaks if need be.

My biggest concern I think is the snow in the winter and any problems that teh Lotus may present. It will be my only car. It's a tough decision...........

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
30k nice used elise + 5-12k gti, wrx, mazda 3 etc, Is the best way to go imho.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts