The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Elise SC has a reported output the same as the Exige S, but it has no inter cooler. I hope to make an occasional appearance at track/auto-x events. Will the lack of an inter cooler on the Elise SC cause heat problems at the track?

I'm still considering the Exige S as well, but I was curious about the lack of inter cooler on the SC.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The intercooler on the Exige is for show only.
rotfl

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest - There are plenty of non intercooled S/C kits enjoying track days in hot weather and the cooling ability of the Exige intercooler is marginal!

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
You can easily do a water/methanol injection system. Search the threads here, make sure you get a progressive system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the new base exige S isn't intercooled either... only the 240 package
I don't know how I missed that :) I have no worries about the inter cooler now, thanks.

I change my mind every day it seems but today the plan is to get an ardent red elise and add a BWR super charger later on down the road. It's either that or throw caution to the wind and get a Storm Titanium Exige S240. But at $17k more that's not really possible at this stage.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
you are all forgetting its using a smaller supercharger compared to the new exige s 240 / old exige s and aftermarket kits

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
At Buttonwillow this past weekend, it was pretty warm and I was cooking it around the track. On Sunday the S/C started making a shrill, and on my 3rd session, I started losing significant power. I came into the pits and my car was idling like a Harley - in fact, now won't even idle at all unless I rev it to 3K rpm. Sounds like the S/C bearing fried and/or blade coatings took a poop. I'll know more tomorrow afternoon when I have time to tear it apart. I hope bits aren't everywhere in the motor...

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
With Lotus warranting the engine, I think it's safe to assume they have it sorted so it's safe and reliable.
Like the rocker arms and cam lobes...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Not the case. I fried my S/C at the track last weekend.

Yeah but intercooling takes place after compression - so an intercooler may or may not have helped. - john.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
At Buttonwillow this past weekend, it was pretty warm and I was cooking it around the track. On Sunday the S/C started making a shrill, and on my 3rd session, I started losing significant power. I came into the pits and my car was idling like a Harley - in fact, now won't even idle at all unless I rev it to 3K rpm. Sounds like the S/C bearing fried and/or blade coatings took a poop. I'll know more tomorrow afternoon when I have time to tear it apart. I hope bits aren't everywhere in the motor...
John, what size pulley are you running? carl

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Not the case. I fried my S/C at the track last weekend.
So you had a Blower failure unrelated to whether or not your car had an intercooler? Sorry about your issue, I assume it was an MP62 blower??

EDIT: ocelot27 Made the same point!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts