The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The factory supercharger is the only one I am considering even though all the other options are better in every way. I only want a CARB kit and I am a lot more comfortable with a factory developed kit than aftermarket.

Is the Lotus supercharger kit sold and installed only through Lotus dealerships, or can it be bought from Lotus and installed at a place like Dietsch Werks or even installed at home?

If anyone has had it installed recently, please share what you paid and where you had it done (dealer or ???).

Is there a chance that having it done while the oil lines are repaired under recall would lower the labor cost?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
My understanding is that anyone with a license to order the Lotus parts can order the SC. You do not need to have it installed at the dealer, it can be done by yourself, but if it's not installed by a certified shop you lose the warranttee associated with it. It specifically come with some warrantte associated with it.

If you're already going through the "trouble" of getting a factory kit, you may as well have it intalled by a factory "licensed" shop to do the install so you get the warranttee with it.

That said, I think you're going to end up spending a lot of money for very little change to the car all things considered... what is it going to be $5k-$6k after paying for install?... i would HIGHLY recommend you test drive one to see if you think it's worth it. I drove an car a while back with an original Katana kit with a correspondingly old PES tune... now granted the PES tunes were pretty well known to have problems, so maybe it was performing more like the smaller factory kit would... anyway, the difference was not obvious to me at all. As FYI, the katana kits have long since abandoned the PES tunes... so I'm not intending to give any thoughts on their current kits.

Rethinking my position, i think i would recommend installing it yourself... (I don't mean to sound negative, just being honest) that way it's not going to be so painful in cost relative to how little it changes the car, and then you get the satisfaction of installing yourself and saving some coin.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Unless your in California and need to worry about CARB or perhaps if you auto cross or race somewhat seriously (I think the factory SC might let you stay in factory competition brackets), then I would suggest some of more mild supercharger kits. Either the Katana or basic BOE kits. That way you still have the simplicity of a non intercooled kit, but get a larger sized supercharger (MP62 vs MP45). And you will have some option to upgrade in the future. The MP45 factory kit has no room for upgrade (both from a boost viewpoint and a physical viewpoint).

But again if the warranty and piece of mind is important to you then it may very well be worth it TO YOU to go through the factory. Either way I would whole heartidly recommend it. A supercharger of any kind adds some good mid-range torque that makes daily driving much more user enjoyable. Some kits just make it more user enjoyable :)

For simplicity I would look at the REV250 or the Katana2. Both use the MP62 kit. Neither is intercooled so you don't have to worry about mounting additional hardware or the visibility problems. And the power levels will still be well well below what the stock engine and stock clutch can handle. I blieve down the road if your inclined the REV250 can have a liquid intercooler installed into the current parts and you can then up the boost if you wanted. The Katana2 does not have that ability, but is cheaper.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
And I should add that all the supercharger kits are pretty much the same from an install point of view. If they have intercoolers it adds some extra steps depending on the kit, but as far as the basic manifold and supercharger install go they are all very similar. I think they all use the same belt layout too now (I think the early Katanas were the only different ones). So you can use any of the instructions or threads to help you along the way if you choose to do this on your own or want to provide information to your installer.

I've got a big one listed in my signature. BOE has good instructions on their website. And you can find info for removing the clamshell as well. You don't have to remove the clamshell, but I have done it both ways now and I must say having the clam off is a thing of beauty. And its not as hard to do as it looks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in CA and need to worry about CARB. I went for a spirited drive a few days ago and rarely revved into the second cam. I don't need the car to be ultimately faster. It is way faster than I am, but I would appreciate a little more shove from 3,000-5,500 RPM, particularly at altitude.

Jason

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I think deroure sells the kits:
DeRoure Ltd - The most comprehensive Lotus parts site on the web. - Part Diagrams.

I was looking to bump up from SS to SSP in AutoX and did a little research here. The dealer near my sells the kits for about $7.5k which is a tough pill to swallow for the relatively small gain.

The kits from Deroure are much more reasonably priced, and move this into consideration territory given I could handle this install myself.

However, it looks like the only one that is CARB approved is for the 2004/2005 models. The hardware however *should* be identical, the difference being the tune. Although I could be wrong on that. Someone smarter than me should be able to confirm.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was just responding to the OP's comment that he rarely got into the second cam and wanted that. That can be fixed pretty easily. Cheap and easy. Or, just get the non-CARB SC. What could possibly go wrong?

Then the factory SC sounds like a good match for you.

ECU can't give you much more. The engine is already efficient at moving air. The lower cam point can help some, but nothing substantial.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have an 06 with factory SC and I can say from driving both that it's worth it. The installation however will drive up the cost. I would install myself if you are mechanically inclined.

I'm in CA also and my kit is CARB legal.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Note that DeRoure is in British Pounds so the price will end up going to about the same as if you buy it here once you convert to Dollars, plus the cost of shipping over the Atlantic. Lotus Garage may be able to get you one at a reasonable price.. Thats who I buy my OEM parts from.

You will probably have to send them an email. Be sure to note that you are talking about the UPGRADE and not the stock Exige S supercharger. They can get the Exige stuff, but you want the Elise upgrade kit which is completely different.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
For my driving style, likewise, it's 3-5k rpms that is the single most important range for improved performance in the car (since i'm not shooting for lap times, it's my daily driver). That's the RPM range you can enjoy on public roads with out sounding like you're racing and thereby attracting police attention.

However, If it's fast enough for you that you aren't getting into the second cam and just want more grunt from 3-5, then consider getting one of the aftermarket tunes for the car that makes a variable cam change down to closer to 3k rpms...granted it's technically not smog legal but it may still pass smog with no problems... ask them, they can tell you.

I know koldfire sells a tune, BOE may sell koldfires tune as a distrubutor that lowers the cam change and adds a little power. If the tune wont pass an OBDII test (they can tell you) BOE also sells a cable so you can swap your tune out for factory tune (with your laptop) for when it needs smogged. This might be all you need to be happy and then you're only in for less than $1500... which sounds reasonable to me. On the other hand, I don't think the Rev250 or Katana kits have enough grunt between 3-5k to be worth it... so spending the same money on a "weaker" kit would be unbearable to me.

Again, for the money you could end up spending, i strongly suggest you test drive a car if you're paying for install... finding out after you've blown $5-7k that you're not impressed would be a sad state of affairs... it's certainly not something i would recommend deciding based on someones elses opinion. The Rev300 kits are every bit as simple as the Katana and Rev250 kits, they just use a newer, bigger, more efficient SC... which is where i think the 3-5k rpm range is finally where you'd expect it to be for the money you have to sink into the car... but at that level you might think it's "too much" to handle up in the high rpm's.

One interestiong thought/question for the "team" here... What about running a factory exige SC on the car but just eliminate the intercooling? Maybe you need a few Katana parts to elimniate the intercooling but then run a factory tune on the car? Then it would be a factory approved charger, factory pulley, factory tune... really the only thing unusual about it would be the elimination of the intercooler which is really not necessary for his purpose anyway... ?!?

Sorry if this sounds like i'm trying to sell you on an aftermarket SC... it's not my intent becuase you were clear you don't want aftermarket, I just think it's important to understand the options and get some experience based perspective so you don't get any surprises.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
factory SC

The factory supercharger is the only one I am considering even though all the other options are better in every way. I only want a CARB kit and I am a lot more comfortable with a factory developed kit than aftermarket.

Is the Lotus supercharger kit sold and installed only through Lotus dealerships, or can it be bought from Lotus and installed at a place like Dietsch Werks or even installed at home?

If anyone has had it installed recently, please share what you paid and where you had it done (dealer or ???).

Is there a chance that having it done while the oil lines are repaired under recall would lower the labor cost?

Thanks,

Jason
my experience--- just had oil line recall work done,including a new engine--- now with that said, I also wanted a SC, my only option was a factory lotus supercharger, installed by lotus tech, of course I get a warranty for SC, but more importantly, I would have voided my warranty on the new engine, so for me it was a no-brainer---work done in NJ at S & S in Hopewell [ great folks] ---with installation it was about 7.8k--pricey I know, but for me, peace of mind comes with a price--- now for driving, I drive it daily alot, you'll run lower rpm's,much smoother power under 4.2k, and you will certainly feel the difference, you won't want one without a SC after in my so humble opinion--good luck in your decision and happy motoring

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Note that DeRoure is in British Pounds so the price will end up going to about the same as if you buy it here once you convert to Dollars, plus the cost of shipping over the Atlantic. Lotus Garage may be able to get you one at a reasonable price.. Thats who I buy my OEM parts from.

You will probably have to send them an email. Be sure to note that you are talking about the UPGRADE and not the stock Exige S supercharger. They can get the Exige stuff, but you want the Elise upgrade kit which is completely different.
Yeah, even after converting the cost in british pounds to dollars, it's still about $2k cheaper than what the dealer near me is selling them for. Shipping will be a lot, but it still ends up being cheaper than buying from the dealer.

The link I posted is an upgrade for the elise.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate your input. It is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

Jason

my experience--- just had oil line recall work done,including a new engine--- now with that said, I also wanted a SC, my only option was a factory lotus supercharger, installed by lotus tech, of course I get a warranty for SC, but more importantly, I would have voided my warranty on the new engine, so for me it was a no-brainer---work done in NJ at S & S in Hopewell [ great folks] ---with installation it was about 7.8k--pricey I know, but for me, peace of mind comes with a price--- now for driving, I drive it daily alot, you'll run lower rpm's,much smoother power under 4.2k, and you will certainly feel the difference, you won't want one without a SC after in my so humble opinion--good luck in your decision and happy motoring

1 - 15 of 15 Posts