The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a 1:18 scale S2 style Elise diecast model car. The ones made by Jadi look nice. I was at a Lotus dealer today in Denver, and they wanted over $41 for one (ouch). I have seen some on eBay in the US for around $18 + $10 shipping, but they didn't have the Ardent red and Magnetic Blue colors I wanted (just had sliver, ice blue, and green with yellow stripes). Ardent Red and Magnetic Blue are availabe from the UK, but at high prices and high shipping costs. At least the dealer had the colors I wanted, but just not at the price I wanted.

So, does anyone know where I can get Ardent Red and Magnetic Blue S2 Elise models at a reasonable price (less than $30 total), preferably from a US vendor? I have searched using Google, Yahoo, MSN, etc., and haven't found it.

P.S. I live near San Diego, and haven't checked if Symbolic carries the Jadi models, but my guess is that if they do, they would be expensive. I may go look this weekend, as I wanted to go there to see their Ardent Red full-size car anyway.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you are patient, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone makes a Federal model soon, especially considering the significant buzz in the press and all of the attention my car gets.

If I had to bet, one will show up in time for parents to buy for their kids for Christmas.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I got some red ones at scale18.com but I think they are out of stock. It wasnt Jadi, I think it was Welly that makes them. They are about $25 and have a nice display stand.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know how closely the Jadi and Welly red models match the Ardent Red paint of a real Elise?

Also, same question for the Jadi medium blue car. How closely does it match Magnetic Blue, including the metallic nature of it under different lighting conditions?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
ChrisH said:
Does anyone know how closely the Jadi and Welly red models match the Ardent Red paint of a real Elise?

Also, same question for the Jadi medium blue car. How closely does it match Magnetic Blue, including the metallic nature of it under different lighting conditions?
I've got a Red Jadi, but as I've never seen a real US Elise, I'm not of much help.

I can measure the red with a spectrophotometer if anyone could do the same with the actual car so we could compare. That might be too geeky for words.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
andykeck said:
I can measure the red with a spectrophotometer if anyone could do the same with the actual car so we could compare. That might be too geeky for words.
But, many of us are too geeky for words! Sounds like a wonderful thing to do! Of course, there will be the question of if the spectrometers are both properly calibrated.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
ChrisH said:
But, many of us are too geeky for words! Sounds like a wonderful thing to do! Of course, there will be the question of if the spectrometers are both properly calibrated.
I have a current calibration certificate up on the wall in my office!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I just compared a Jadi, a Welly and my Ardent Red Elise.
(Sorry no digital camera)

The Jadi matches pretty close, it seems like it is a darker red if you put it side by side next to the Welly. When I first picked it up the two model cars to look at them, before putting them next to the actual car, I thought the Welly was going to be closer in color to the real car but under direct light and next to the real car and the Jadi model, the Wellly appears to be more pinkish red.

The Jadi is a better made model, it has more detail and is made with more metal parts. It may weight more, but in this case it's a good thing. The Jadi was about $30 at exoticar.com, the Welly is about $25 at scale18.com

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Now, the important question is: Does any one make a Chrome Orange Federal Elise model yet?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TimMullen said:
Now, the important question is: Does any one make a Chrome Orange Federal Elise model yet?
I plan on buying some auto paint in a spray can matching the paint codes for the real Elise, taking the model apart, and painting the body and appropriate parts. Then, of course, putting it back together. This was described at the Sands Mechanical Museum (http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/merchandise/miniature/index.html)

By-the-way, there is a picture of a chrome orange model there.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I now have a Welly 1:24 scale (red) and a Jadi 1:18 scale (light blue), both bought on eBay at a discount from retail.

I got curious about the cost, delivery fee and weight relative to the real Elise.

Welly: Cost $9.99 Delivery: $7 Weight: 0.5125 pounds
Volume ratio to real Elise: 1/(24*24*24) = 1/13824
Scaled cost: $138,101.76
Scaled Delivery Fee: $96,768
Scaled Weight: 7,084.8

Jadi: Cost: $16.99 Delivery: $10 Weight: 1.15 pounds
Volume ratio to real Elise: 1/(18*18*18) = 1/5832
Scaled cost: $93,213
Scaled Delivery Fee: $58,320
Scaled weight = 6706.8 pounds

My models didn't have the sport package, nor the touring package, nor the hardtop, nor the starshield. So compare the above with:
Cost: $40,930
Delivery: $795
Weight: 1,975

So, obviously the real Elise is a much better deal and far lighter (relatively) than the models! What is wrong with those model manufacturers? Grossly inflated in all categories!

·
Registered
803 Posts
See the Light

There was a great editorial by Kevin Smith at Motor Trend a bit ago. In it he discusses the light weight nature of the Elise and the "cascading effect in mass control." At the end of the article he provides a chart with the price, weight and price per pound of various items, including a ripe avocado, a TV, a Motor Trend Magazine, the Elise, and even a Trident submarine.

The Elise is $20 per pound, beaten only by a Porsche and an Enzo.

The article is here:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/pictures/edatabase/elisepicturesearch.php

I have progressed on my miniature Elise project. The paint was removed, not by bead blaster as I orignally expected but by Jasco paint remover. The bead blaster had little effect because the original paint is very flexible. I then bead blasted the bare metal. It looks so nice my youngest son thought I had painted it already, same color as my real car (Storm Titanium).

I am looking for a local (or remote) source for a rattle can equivalent of the Storm Titanium paint.

Michael

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: See the Light

sandsmuseum said:

I am looking for a local (or remote) source for a rattle can equivalent of the Storm Titanium paint.

Michael
I am considering doing the same repaint job on my model that you are doing. I was thinking of ordering the actual car paint by Lotus color code from one of the places others have (to paint their center console). Many folks have ordered spray cans from Tower Paint
www.towerpaint.com
1-800-779-6520
using the appropriate Lotus color code.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts