The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that the Elise seat backs are not adjustable. If so, isn't anyone concerned about it?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
No, I fit perfectly. Like a tron body suit.

I don't see adjusting any seat once I find a position I like. The driver's seat slides forward and back, which is enough for me.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The amazing this is how good the driving position feels, despite the fact that you only have one adjustment, the distance of the entire seat from the wheel. The rake of the wheel is about right and the steering sort of falls into your lap. I might have wanted it a smidgen closer to my body, but it's understandable considering the variety of bodies they are trying to accomidate.

Try (the seating position) before you buy!

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I sat in the 111S, I found the seats quite comfortable. The only problem I had with them is that there is pretty much only one way to sit in the seat. I would imagine it makes it difficult to readjust your seating position for long trips. So, I was glad they were comfortable. It's surprising considering you bum is only 6 inches off the ground. :)

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Originally posted by Johnny B
Oh damn, the seats are giving you a noticable "toe" and your gut is hanging out.
Oh no! Here we go again! Please don't bring this up anymore! Enough of us have been tramatized! My shrink said I may never be able to function as a normal human in society ever again! Getting flashbacks!! :eek: AHHHHHHH!!

:no:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
gotapex said:
My main concern is the width of the seats. :( I wish they stuck with the narrower European ones.
This is BS. The seats are the same max dimensions. The new seats however do have a s quare corner in section, whereas the old ones were round, and so may have appeared narrower.

The irony of this is that bigger people fit better in the old rounder seats.

My friend Dave who is 6'-4" and ~200 lbs. is comfortable in the old seats but not in the new ones. He says his hips get pinched by the new ones. A problem he didn't have before...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Robert,

6'4, 200# isn't that big. It's tall, but skinny. I can't imagine he's got such problems with the seat width! What size waist does he have?

I'm 6'3, 220#, and I'm not overly-concerned about the squeeze.

I imagine there's some guy who's 5'9, 250# who's gonna try it out and be turned off by the size of the seats, though.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yes it ture the seat backs are not adjustable.

Based on some of the responses I've just read. Most of you have not driven an Elise on a Long trip. I have driven a standard S2 with the old Rover motor while on a visit to Australia last year. All I can say is that after being behind the wheel for over 3 hours with no adjustability at all, my back and body needed a ciropractor. I'm not young , but I'm not an old man either at the age of 35.

I am not too concerned since my Elise will be a 3rd vehicle and I have 2 others with full reclining ability. I know enough about the Elise now not to take it on long road trips. It simply is not that comfortable for long hauls, plus there is just no room for two people and luggage . I am just being as honest as I can. This is car is no luxury vehicle. I'm sure most if not all you know this by now.

Best Wishes,
Mitch

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
transio said:
I imagine there's some guy who's 5'9, 250# who's gonna try it out and be turned off by the size of the seats, though.
Tron Dude:eek:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
transio said:
Robert,

6'4, 200# isn't that big. It's tall, but skinny. I can't imagine he's got such problems with the seat width! What size waist does he have?

I'm 6'3, 220#, and I'm not overly-concerned about the squeeze.

He's relatively thin, but broad shouldered - 36" waist.
I'm 6'-2", 215 lbs. and I'm fine.

I just thought it was ironic that people are saying they made the seats wider for the US audience when that's clearly not the reality. Hopefully it wasn't their intention, either...

Also did some long stints in a 111S a few month ago and had none of the problems Mitch is complaining about. In fact, my wife and I were both surprised at how comfortable it was. She's already talking about taking some Hwy 1 type driving trips in it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Yes it ture the seat backs are not adjustable.

Based on some of the responses I've just read. Most of you have not driven an Elise on a Long trip. I have driven a standard S2 with the old Rover motor while on a visit to Australia last year. All I can say is that after being behind the wheel for over 3 hours with no adjustability at all, my back and body needed a ciropractor.

Interesting. I have driven my MR2 many miles to races (thousands) and I don't ever recall adjusting the seat back angle. I also think the MR2's seats suck for long distance, but adjusting them would only change the angle of sucktitude.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
hermanslotus said:
Randy,

Drive the Elise for 3 to 4 hours strait and then tell me what you think???
Trust me, I am a little concerned about what a 16 hour drive will feel like. When I travel to Kansas to race, I like to make it in 1.5 days.

Worried also about no cruise for 16 hours.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Trust me, I am a little concerned about what a 16 hour drive will feel like. When I travel to Kansas to race, I like to make it in 1.5 days.

Worried also about no cruise for 16 hours.
a substantial fraction of my 96k in the spyder has been on drives of 4 to 12 hours. i find that after about 6 or 8 i wish the drive was over. i too though never adjust the angle of the seat back. nor do i slide it forward or aft. once it is set that's it. i would, however, appreciate some kind of adjustable lumbar support. maybe some lumber support too when both the car and the passenger are tople...oh wait...that's another story

·
Registered
528 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
This is BS. The seats are the same max dimensions. The new seats however do have a s quare corner in section, whereas the old ones were round, and so may have appeared narrower.

The irony of this is that bigger people fit better in the old rounder seats.

My friend Dave who is 6'-4" and ~200 lbs. is comfortable in the old seats but not in the new ones. He says his hips get pinched by the new ones. A problem he didn't have before...

:rolleyes:
Interesting, I didn't know that. Everything I had heard said the European ones were slimmer (including the Lotus people there at the LA auto show). I positively slosh around in the US model seats.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am not light at about 190 with a 36" waist and I found the seats quite comfortable when I drove the 111S and sat in the fed model.

I think you can make one other (semi-permanent) change by adding washers under the front mounting points to change the angle of the whole seat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts